Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Doubting the royals? What effect will it have?

ManaMinori

I can't help but wonder....In IDW comic #65, it was shown that Celestia occasionally donned a disguise through use of a Changeling amulet in order to go around town and get the opinions of her citizens on how things are being run by Equestrian royalty. This allowed the readers to also get a glimpse into the everyday Equestrian's citizens' mind about how the royal sisters, or rather, Celestia, namely, is holding up, in holding office. What I find interesting is that a lot of the ponies' opinions aren't that good of her. We see some speaking aloud saying "don't you think we seem to get invaded and attacked a lot?" which puts concern on Equestria's military defenses and the rulers behind employing them, as need be. While others debate the uselessness of lesser Princesses, such as Twilight, even questioning whether Celestia set her up to be in a position where she could save everyone, or if it was merely dumb luck. Others still express that Celestia seems aloof, in their opinion, or that she's playing favorites with Ponyville, by finding reasons to go there all the time, while others seem to express that she should just let Twilight take over ruling things.

Additionally, in the season 8 episode, "Friendship University", Chancellor Neighsay is seen getting the average Joe ponies concerned and horrified at Twilight's malicious and skeptical motives for being there and trying to undermine the competition (as Rarity's comment, when prompted by Neighsay as to whether Twilight thought she had a monopoly on schools of friendship, smugly states that "well she did write the book"). They see the situation for what it is, that Twilight is judging ponies' for their past actions and allowing the other ponies to question her title and status as PoF, even causing somepony to admit "I did think the Princess of Friendship would be friendlier".

These are just two instances in a relatively short period of time to each other, where we can see that the ponies' thoughts toward the royals that lead and set examples for them could be shifting toward doubt and concern. I'm very interested in seeing what effect this would cause, and if the topic will be addressed further and more in depth in future comics or episodes. 

• Brohoof 1

The "we get invaded a lot" is a meta joke that they have used in the show, so I curious as to the other comments and concerns of the citizens. Also, I wouldn't use Pony Umbridge attacking Dumbledore as evidence of sentiment since we all know how that is going to go in the narrative. 

Question to you since you left it out of your OP -- How was this story resolved? 

• Brohoof 1

On 8/27/2018 at 12:30 PM, Jeric said:

The "we get invaded a lot" is a meta joke that they have used in the show, so I curious as to the other comments and concerns of the citizens. Also, I wouldn't use Pony Umbridge attacking Dumbledore as evidence of sentiment since we all know how that is going to go in the narrative. 

Question to you since you left it out of your OP -- How was this story resolved? 

the story sort of deviated away from what the majority of the pony populace thought of the royal and focused on humbling Celestia when it came to the needs of one random filly and her brother, offering a statement from Celestia that they needed help, yet she was nowhere to be found, and she apologized for that. It also brought out from Twilight that Celestia teaches so that her students can help when she cannot. And that Celestia does need to get to know (and stay in touch with) her subjects a lot better, even after 1,000 years of ruling.

however, given all the attacks on the country by numerous villains that have happened in the show, and the planted seeds of doubt by Flim and Flam in the populace to at least one of the royals, I would like to see how these thoughts and doubts spread and manifest through the citizens.

I haven't read the issue or the comic, but that might be an interesting concept to look at as royals aren't perfect.

I'll mainly comment on what you have given about the comic as I don't care for the school of friendship. Getting attacked often might be ridiculous, but being useless during every single one of those events is even more ridiculous. I don't know if the writer of the comic is attempting to justify and/or rectify Princess Celestia's terrible streak in the show (though Luna and Cadance are just as guilty), and I don't know if that writer intends to do more with Princess Celestia, but trying to fix her will be an uphill battle because she spent almost all of her time in the show being a 

The show hasn't acknowledged it, and I honestly doubt it will.

I guess the comic did acknowledge it according to you, but a problem like that can't be fixed in one issue. And she doesn't seem that much more active in that area as far as I can see. Maybe I should check out that issue.

Edited by Number62