Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general media Best sound effects?

Sepul-Coloratura

That common scream that played in almost every movie whenever someone falls off. (if anyone knows what I'm talking about)

Edit: The Wilhelm Scream

Edited by TBD
Adding the name of the sound effect.
  • Brohoof 2

28 minutes ago, TBD said:

That common scream that played in almost every movie whenever someone falls off. (if anyone knows what I'm talking about)

YES I know it! I believe I've heard it a couple times in MLP too LOL

• Brohoof 2

1 hour ago, TBD said:

51 minutes ago, Lucky Bolt said:

The Wilhelm Scream:

My favorite sound is any combination of the orchestra hit. Like Goku's instant transmission sound, or just some cool generic sound.

Edited by Super Splashee
  • Brohoof 3

27 minutes ago, 💛Princess of Hearts💙 said:

Oooo my favourite sound is the silence that plays during a dramatic moment :P

DUN DUN DUN:

The over dramatic sound effect (actually music but whatever!)

• Brohoof 2

Level-up sound in Skyrim:

Pretty much all sound effects in Heroes of Might and Magic 3, but the new week sound was always the most expected one:

Spoiler

I don't know if this counts, but the laughter of Rich Evants used as a sound effect makes everything better:

• Brohoof 3

2 hours ago, Super Splashee said:

The Wilhelm Scream:

Yes that's it! I never knew what it's called, now I do, this is perfect! :ButtercupLaugh: Gets me every time. 

3 hours ago, Lucky Bolt said:

it's the classic B)

• Brohoof 2

I love the sound that TIE Fighters make. It’s very intimidating.

And of course the Star Wars laser noise. Did you know it’s just a rod being smacked on the support cables of a radio tower?

And did you know the Balrog roar from LotR is a cinderblock being scraped across a wooden floor?

I love foley artists!

• Brohoof 6

@TBD @Lucky Bolt Sorry to ruin the party for you, but I don't personally like the William's scream in movies. It just yanks me out of the immersion and reminds me that there was someone in the editing room who deliberately put that in the movie (and thinking that was funny). The worst part is that they want to be noticed and doesn't try to be intimate or being a secret. First 50 times in cinema history might have been cute but more than that, I don't know what they are trying to do. It's a dead meme for me, it doesn't show that they are witty or funny. :worry:

• Brohoof 1

6 hours ago, Oleks said:

Pretty much all sound effects in Heroes of Might and Magic 3,

YEEEESS!!!! They have wondeful sound effects!

For some reasons, I find the sound of dying Pixie/Sprites and Imps in HOMM 3 really comical.

I also like the sound Minecraft's Ghast. It is adorable.

• Brohoof 1

16 minutes ago, Sepul-Coloratura said:

@TBD @Lucky Bolt Sorry to ruin the party for you, but I don't personally like the William's scream in movies. It just yanks me out of the immersion and reminds me that there was someone in the editing room who deliberately put that in the movie (and thinking that was funny). The worst part is that they want to be noticed and doesn't try to be intimate or being a secret. First 50 times in cinema history might have been cute but more than that, I don't know what they are trying to do. It's a dead meme for me, it doesn't show that they are witty or funny. :worry:

Somewhat agree. I think the Wilhelm Scream can still be funny in say, cartoons. It’s like “My leg!” in Spongebob.

But yeah, don’t use it in actual cinema, and especially don’t use it in serious action sequences.

• Brohoof 3

Dishonored has some great sound effects. 

More than just the ability sound effects, the electric fences in the game had a terrifying sound like a loud siren. Really the entire game has some of the best sound design I've ever heard like the rats eating people alive while high pitch violin plays:

14 hours ago, ShadOBabe said:

It's the best. Seriously why didn't I think of it while posting here???

It is fun to "perform" that sound in front of IRL friends. I have made a few laughter.

14 hours ago, ShadOBabe said:

And of course the Star Wars laser noise. Did you know it’s just a rod being smacked on the support cables of a radio tower?

Aww! You watched the documentary like I did :fluttershy:

• Brohoof 2

49 minutes ago, Super Splashee said:

It's the best.

Isn’t it? It makes me think of a scream. Appropriately scary for the villain ships!

50 minutes ago, Super Splashee said:

Aww! You watched the documentary like I did :fluttershy:

Actually I DIDN’T. I just heard that tidbit secondhand from an article or something. But I would love to see it!

• Brohoof 3

1 hour ago, ShadOBabe said:

Isn’t it? It makes me think of a scream. Appropriately scary for the villain ships!

It's kinda easy to scream like that as a Swede because we have the letter "Ö" (an o with two dots above it) which sounds like the initial tone of the  TIE Fighter sound as it flies away from the camera.

1 hour ago, ShadOBabe said:

Actually I DIDN’T. I just heard that tidbit secondhand from an article or something. But I would love to see it!

There are a few videos on Youtube. I cannot find the exact video where he hits the support cables of a radio tower, but they should be there somewhere:

(One of those interviews, not this one obviously)

This is probably fake, lol:

• Brohoof 2

20 hours ago, ShadOBabe said:

Especially hearing it  in a theater room. Gonna take advantage of surrounding sound here. :LunaMCM:. I also like the Light-sabers sound effects, it's meditative.

• Brohoof 3

(edited)
20 hours ago, Super Splashee said:

This is probably fake, lol:

I'm pretty sure that Star Wars actually used a metal cable to make the laser sound. It's in the documentary of making of the film. And I don't think the video is fake bacause it's that easy to make a laser sound.

Edited by Sepul-Coloratura
  • Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, Sepul-Coloratura said:

I'm pretty sure that Star Wars actually used a metal cable to make the laser sound. It's in the documentary of making of the film. And I don't think the video is fake bacause it's that easy to make a laser sound.

I'll test it at one point, since one of my walking routes go by a cell tower like that. Then we will see! :sneer:

• Brohoof 1

I don’t know why but hearing a car beep this song while driving by makes me laugh every time.

• Brohoof 2

• 3 years later...