Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you believe in the Mandela Effect?

Retired

On 2017-02-19 at 1:25 AM, Sovereign Leader Rarity said:

No, it's just bad memory and misconceptions.

There are no such things alternating realities, just alternating, minds, memories and perceptions.

Prove there are no parallel universes/ realities 

• Brohoof 1

I feel like a lot of the Manela Effect can just be taken as misconceptions that multiple people made that wound up catching on. A lot of these cases just sound like assumptions or misinterpretations of spellings, words and pictures because your brain just tells you something else. Sex And the City vs Sex in the City, Febreze vs Febreeze, Bearenstein vs Bearenstain, and the like are pretty easy to mix up. People say Jiffy was the name of the peanut butter and not Jif, but they could be getting it confused with Skippy.

Only real notable instance of the Mandela Effect is with titular Mandela, because that's just something too big of an event to be misinterpreted. Seems pretty wild that people swear that he died in prison when all records and personal accounts point say he was released and lived for another 20+ years

Edited by Megas

13 hours ago, Kaitlynne said:

Prove there are no parallel universes/ realities 

I can't, much like how you can't prove that there are. This comment was made years ago, and I'm a lot more open-minded these days. There could be parallel universes out there, a part of me hopes that they do exist, and I can have a No Way Home Situation on my hands at some point in my life. But, I'm a skeptic at heart, and evidence for this theory isn't very compelling in my opinion. I am open to changing my tune on this matter though.

• Brohoof 2

I am undecided on this.

I used to be a firm believer of it but now, I am not so sure. I think it’s an interesting idea and I plan on doing more research on it at some point.

I firmly believe in alternate universes and the idea of the Mandela effect. I find the idea of there being no other universes or dimensions to be an incredibly close minded and very unappealing belief, just like the concept of believing we are alone in this universe. If anything, it is simply more appealing to believe in wider concepts than only what we can observe. Use your imagination. Open your mind. Don't stay in a box your whole life. To the people that don't believe in these things (or aren't open to them), it's hard for me to take them seriously as they seem like downers all the time.

Don't dwell on the 'evidence', because our technology and society is in the very nascent stages of understanding even our own planet and our own bodies, so we can't say that something isn't there just because we haven't observed that. That's being very ignorant.

Edited by Starforce
  • Brohoof 1

Still do, though I have no idea about the mechanism behind it. Could be converging timelines, alternate universes... I think quantum mechanics will one day shed more light on them, and that could be the key to understanding this

• 2 years later...

No, I definitely don't believe in the thing about timelines changing and such. But I think a lot of people misremembering the same things is still a fascinating phenomenon. They just tend to be fairly unremarkable stuff that's either really easy to confuse (similarly pronounced words or intentional misspellings), practically impossible to remember (singular scenes or even lines in movies) or the kind of things you wouldn't really pay attention to (if you watch a cartoon, you're more likely to look at a cartoon character's face than their tail if they have one).

One thing I can say is that the spelling-related ones aren't ones that have affected me. Like the Looney Tunes example in the first post – I was obsessed with Wile E. Coyote and the Road Runner before I could even speak English, so I didn't even connect the word "tunes" in the name to any meaning, I just knew that was the title. And when I started learning English, I would always memorize both the spelling and pronunciation of each word separately.