Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you Believe in the Multiverse?

Photon Jet

78 users have voted

1. 1. Do you believe in the multiverse?

• Yes
    • No

I've never been given any reasoning or proof that we don't exist in a multiverse, however my theory on it is a little different. I don't believe the multiverse to be like billions of bubbles floating in air, rather than a consistently growing structure. Imagine it this way, you have say, our universe, filled with an immeasurable count of atoms, each atom its own universe sealed off from our own. Even now, whilst our size may be what we perceive it to be here, on the grander scale of things, we may all be smaller than a tiny atom in the universe of another set of beings. That being my theory on it, I have no proof to back it, but there isn't anything that can really disprove it at the current time. That being said, I am still open to the idea of the original poster as well. So I do indeed agree.

• Brohoof 2

I have strong reasons to believe that Multiverse theory is pretty viable. 

The concept behind the one I'm talking about says that a near infinite number of universes exist, and in some of those universes we exist, while in many others we never existed at all. In a sense The multiverse is like Brute forcing a lock, trying every single combination, but instead of it being in quick succession it all happens at once.

Such concepts can be expressed out in part in mathmatics. Take the Library of Babel for example: The Library of Babel is a mathematical formula that creates every single combination of letters and symbols that could ever exist. Each book in this theoretical library would all have 410 pages and 1,312,000 characters in it, and the vast majority of these randomly generated books would be pure gibberish. Among the gibberish however is every single book that has ever or will ever exist, because in this random generation all the letters and symbols would fall in place eventually to make intelligible words. For every TRUE book there is, there are millions of books that are only different by one character. There is an even greater number of books where the difference is only with two characters. So on and so forth. Theoretically speaking, everything you have ever written down, thought, said, or are going to say, will be found in these books a near infinite number of times scattered throughout the library. Its pure Chaos, and yet every time you do this random generation all of the books end up in the exact same spot in the library to be referenced, every single time.

The number of possible books books with lower case letters, commas, periods, and spaces are 104677

If the universe were like this, any number of combinations the universe could possibly take would be possible, and there would be plenty of universes where only 1 single molecule is different than another reality, and then there would be a near infinite possible combination of universes with more notable changes. Considering it can be expressed so simply in mathematics, and math has been what we have used to describe the nature of the universe so far, I wouldn't doubt such a set up would exist. 

The problem some people have with such a theory, especially religious people, is that it makes our position in the universe EXTREMELY inconsequential. Not only does our own planet, or sun, or galaxy, or universe not revolve around us, we are just a random combination among a near infinite number of other universes where we never existed in the first place. Personally I think its beautiful but that's just me. 

• Brohoof 2

I'd like to think that we exist in a massive slice of bread.  And this massive slice of bread is but one slice in a far vaster loaf.  It's when someone tries to spread jam on one of the slices that things really get crazy.

Good for Sci-Fi

The science fiction of today could be the science fact of tomorrow; wouldn't be the first time.

And let's be honest with ourselves: Even if some brilliant scientist - unrivaled in their field - managed to prove the multiverse theory by discovering irrefutable evidence, a good number of people would:

1. Not understand it.

2. Continue to refute it anyway.

I mean...  There are people nowadays who insist that the world is flat.  I guess they're still waiting on the evidence.

• Brohoof 3

The problem that I find with this theory is that each of these universes would have to be unique from every other one, right?  So the laws of physics in each universe have to be different than all of the other universe's laws of physics.  Otherwise, the atoms in one universe would follow the exact same laws as they would in another, and therefore all move to the same place at the same time as they would in another universe, meaning that the two universes in question would be identical.  But if the laws of physics in each universe are different, then that would make each universe have its own system of logic as well.  For example, in one universe, one cookie plus one cookie may equal five cookies, and 1+1=2 wouldn't make any sense.  It is hard to imagine, but in theory, every one of these universes would have to have logic that works slightly differently than ours, or our universe and their universe would be identical down to the slightest detail.  However, I can't imagine how a human being, which lives based off of a certain set of physics and logic, could even exist in another universe.  We basically wouldn't be compatible.

Sort of; Theoretically there could be countless universes that have so little difference with our own that you would need to know exactly where to look to even spot it with a powerful magnifying glass. Now I'm not saying there WOULDN'T be universes that would operate under different laws than our own, but I am saying that not ALL universes would have to. Technically time travel and universe hopping/interdemensional travel would be one in the same thing if multiverse theory were true. 

If you wished to travel to a dimension/Universe where the rules were so incompatible with our body, all you'd essentially have to do is get a new body that is more suited for that kind of thing. You are basically your mind, so as long as you kept that part of you and built around it the rest of your body could be traded with compatible yet more suitable parts. That's part of what Transhumanism is all about.

My Little Pony actually subscribes to multiverse theory from what I can tell. They not only have multiple universes referenced in the IDW Comics, they have an entire universe where there are parallels to the other characters in every way except for the fact that they are an entirely different species. Equestria Girls Is in a sense is part of a multiverse where everyone you know is there, but the only difference is they didn't evolve into ponies they evolved into humans. That is pretty trippy when you think about it. Is there a universe in the my little pony verse that are all Dogs then? Cats? Tentacle Monsters? Head canons for days! 

• Brohoof 2

Head canons for days! 

Speaking of headcanons, it is within my beliefs that, following the multiverse theory, if it is a thought, it is a thing somewhere.

You imagine yourself as a being more powerful than Superman, Goku, and every other superhero and villain ever imagined and ever will exist combined with all their powers and more? A walking contradiction? There's a universe/dimension for that.

You have a headcanon that Pinkie Pie is related to Discord? Universe/dimension for that.

You think about Celestia and Luna "advance shipping"? Universe/dimension for that.

• Brohoof 1

Speaking of headcanons, it is within my beliefs that, following the multiverse theory, if it is a thought, it is a thing somewhere.

You imagine yourself as a being more powerful than Superman, Goku, and every other superhero and villain ever imagined and ever will exist combined with all their powers and more? A walking contradiction? There's a universe/dimension for that.

You have a headcanon that Pinkie Pie is related to Discord? Universe/dimension for that.

You think about Celestia and Luna "advance shipping"? Universe/dimension for that.

I don't know if I'd wanna meet Superman me lol

I have seen the idea that works of fiction could theoretically be real in a multiverse scenario, and while that's an enjoyable thought I doubt the "real equivilants" would be exactly as we imagined. Or maybe it would be, it would depend on how diverse these universes can possibly get. 

I have seen the idea that works of fiction could theoretically be real in a multiverse scenario, and while that's an enjoyable thought I doubt the "real equivilants" would be exactly as we imagined. Or maybe it would be, it would depend on how diverse these universes can possibly get. 

Actually, following the multiverse theory and it's vastness, I believe that the correct answer is both yes AND no.

I say this because, if the multiverse theory is correct and there is a universe/dimension for every little possibility, then there would be one where it is exactly as we imagine it AND there would be, depending on the thought, thousands of thousands of thousands of alternate versions where it is different and not as we imagine it, and I'm not even sure if that vage number is big enough.

Edited by DJShy3
  • Brohoof 1

Actually, following the multiverse theory and it's vastness, I believe that the correct answer is both yes AND no.

I say this because, if the multiverse theory is correct and there is a universe/dimension for every little possibility, then there would be one where it is exactly as we imagine it AND there would be, depending on the thought, thousands of thousands of thousands of alternate versions where it is different and not as we imagine it, and I'm not even sure if that vage number is big enough.

Now the question is, does it exist because you thought of it, or did you think of it because it exists? 

*mind explodes from the deepness*

Went full blown Jaden Smith on ya :D

But seriously though its an interesting thought; The idea that we write this fiction because somewhere in the multiverse that thing we are writing exists or already exists or is going to exist. Or perhaps an invention you come up with has already been invented in billions of other alternate universe. 

• Brohoof 2

Went full blown Jaden Smith on ya :D

But seriously though its an interesting thought; The idea that we write this fiction because somewhere in the multiverse that thing we are writing exists or already exists or is going to exist. Or perhaps an invention you come up with has already been invented in billions of other alternate universe. 

If what you say is true about the invention thing, then we'd better hope that we're in some TV show!

Explanation: Within my imagination, I invented a device that connects to the outlet of a socket and a TV. The purpose of said device is to travel to the world of that TV show you're watching.

• Brohoof 1

Admittedly the thought of crossing that border, and exploring other existences is tantalizing to say the least for me. I hope to one day discover a portal to a new place, and move onward. If it were possible, that'd be the one and only circumstance in which I'd want immortality.

• Brohoof 1

The multiverse is very possible and infinite, as it's based on the idea that for every cycle of cause and effect the causes give birth to an infinite number of effects, useualy asociated with probability, the multiverse is the ultimate storage space, were every thought, every idea, every action, every thing, is born and changed infinetly in precision, it's so compleatly undescribable, that we can barely comprehend only a group of the universes in the multiverse, also it proves that somewhere, Equestria exsists but due to our physics, we cant get to them, but because of their worlds physics, it is very easy to get to us. I just love the idea that Luna is somewhere, being wise and beutiful.

• Brohoof 1

hell yeah i believe in the multiverse theory. Because their is more than just humans take mlp for example it has two worlds. The pony world and the human world which made me think that it may be real.

What on earth are you talking about?

• Brohoof 1

hell yeah i believe in the multiverse theory. Because their is more than just humans take mlp for example it has two worlds. The pony world and the human world which made me think that it may be real.

It is a cartoon for little girls. It doesn't really have any scientific credibility .
  • Brohoof 4

No, I don't believe in the multiverse. If there was more evidence behind the idea, I might be more willing to accept it. Be that as it may, there isn't any solid proof right now and it doesn't make any sense to subscribe to a baseless idea early in the case that it turns out to be correct. It's fun to speculate, but I don't think issues of science and fact are things which should be "believed in" until we have some capacity of proving or disproving them.

• Brohoof 1

I do understand and respect the opinions of you who have disbelief in the theory. This being stated, I have yet to see any solid reasoning, aside from simply no proof that it does. This is where it gets to me. I will admit there is no proof that it exists, but can you say, you have proof that it doesn't exist? Science is indeed all about theory, but if you don't have imagination, there is nothing you would ever reach for as a scientist. Nothing to ever solve, because being simply stuck in the idea that something doesn't exist because there is no proof, means you have nothing you want to solve. Again, I do respect your opinions, but to me they are just that. Opinions, even my own opinion is just that.

• Brohoof 3