Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you Believe in the Multiverse?

Photon Jet

78 users have voted

1. 1. Do you believe in the multiverse?

• Yes
    • No

And how "we're probably going to find proof that supports our theory eventually" any better? 

I haven't said that, therefore I take the liberty to run away with waving arms before getting dragged into this anymore. see ya!

754fd985beef016e4837f07dac3efabf.jpg

So we should all act like it's real because there might be evidence that supports it somewhere? Do you realize how dumb that sounds?  

It's nice to believe, even if it turns out not to be true..

Evidence of existence is irrelevant if it makes us happy to believe it's real ^-^

Though evidence would be good so others can be content in believing it too..

I am an open-minded person, i do not completely disregard something if there is a lack of scientific evidence present..

Though because i am an over thinker and have a strong knowledge of science and am a logical thinker I tend to find

the conflictions the first thing has with another thing, but even if things aren't real I like to think of how it COULD work

if it were.. It makes it interesting to try and explain things that are not real (or not real yet..), like  Equestrian magic,

dimensional travel, matter conversion, Time travel, Pyrokinesis.. Stuff like that :P

Edited by AURAequine

And your point is? If you are going claim something you need evidence, regardless of how nice beliving is.

There is a difference between believing it's true, and claiming it's true..

I never said it was true, but i believe in it even if it turns out not to be..

No, I don't believe in the multiverse theory. I do think that it's interesting, but nothing beyond the novelty of the idea. There is simply not enough proof. In my opinion, if you have the faith to believe in the multiverse theory, you most definitely have the faith to believe in God, because God makes more sense. :lol: Notwithstanding, whether or not the theory is real. But that is admittedly digressing from the point. The multiverse theory makes for good science fiction, but there's not enough evidence for it being a reality.

Edited by Jaxsie
  • Brohoof 1

I, Donald Trump, believe that the multiverse theory is correct. Now, the problem is stopping immigrants from alternate dimensions into our America. Now, I love other dimensions, and I love people from other dimensions, But I think if we took a lot of nukes and maybe fired one or two at them we'd have a lot less trouble with them.

I don't hate other dimensions, I love other dimensions! I'm just saying we should kill every single person not from our own.

• Brohoof 4

Hehe, Somepony hasn't learned from the "Feeling Pinkie keen" episode Just because there's no evidence now doesn't mean we can't find it

That wasn't a very good lesson: Can't figure something out, just accept it and give up.  Not a good attitude to have when carrying out a scientific investigation.  

Not that it has anything to do with the topic at had, which is postulating infinite, infinitely large entities with absolutely zero evidence to back it up.  In the words of Carl Sagan, extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence, and infinite universes is about as extraordinary as claims get.  So somebody better show me something pretty convincing if they want me to believe multiverse theory.

• Brohoof 2

I'm going to give the most insightful reply I possibly can.

I don't know.

That wasn't a very good lesson: Can't figure something out, just accept it and give up.  Not a good attitude to have when carrying out a scientific investigation.  

Not that it has anything to do with the topic at had, which is postulating infinite, infinitely large entities with absolutely zero evidence to back it up.  In the words of Carl Sagan, extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence, and infinite universes is about as extraordinary as claims get.  So somebody better show me something pretty convincing if they want me to believe multiverse theory.

That's almost right. Except, here's the deal:

It's an extraordinary claim to say that other universes exist, yes. But you know what else is an extraordinary claim? Saying that the universe is finite and that there's nothing else beyond it.

Edited by Admiral Regulus
  • Brohoof 4

Yes, because M-Theory strongly suggests there are something to the order of 10^500 universes, which is a truly staggering amount. In many of those life could not exist because the fundamental constants would be different, but there would still be many that did in fact support life.

Too bad I don't understand one thing about quantum mechanics, because it's incredibly interesting.

• Brohoof 1

I think it's quite likely.  I also definitely believe that our universe is just one of an infinite number that have come before and will come after ours.  I believe there have been an infinite number of big bangs before ours, and there will be an infinite number in the future.

From our tiny little backwater planet, in an altogether insignificant solar system, we can see that there are an uncountable number of solar systems in an uncountable number of galaxies in this unfathomably expansive thing we call a universe.

And that's just what we can see. Who could know what else is out there that we haven't the slightest clue about? Looking up in the sky we think we can see everything there is to see, but what if it's like you looking out your bedroom window at the earth. If that was all you ever saw of the earth, would you know that the Grand Canyon existed or what the weather was like on Mt. Everest? 

I think it's safe to say there is more that we don't know than what we do know.

• Brohoof 2

I am an incredibly strong believer in this theory. So much so that, at one point or another in my life, I want to research it. It saddens me to see that a lot of people do not care to look into it for reasons such as a lack of evidence or, we have enough in our own universe. I mean there is a chance there is some sort of evidence for it, in one form or another. As for the other point I see brought up a lot, wouldn't it help us discover more of our own universe? After all, if there's an infinite number of universes, and we gain the ability to access them, wouldn't we be able to find other humans or species that speak the same languages we do, and thus be able to gain more technology and information?

It may all only be theoretical, but that doesn't make it impossible. Besides, if it is true, then we would be able to live in our favorite fictional worlds, even Equestria. Wouldn't that be fun? :P

• Brohoof 2

Well, yeah! Humans keep discovering new things almost every day, someday we may develop technology advanced enough to travel to those other universes. I'm afraid i'll be dead by the time that is possible, though.

• Brohoof 1

The problem that I find with this theory is that each of these universes would have to be unique from every other one, right?  So the laws of physics in each universe have to be different than all of the other universe's laws of physics.  Otherwise, the atoms in one universe would follow the exact same laws as they would in another, and therefore all move to the same place at the same time as they would in another universe, meaning that the two universes in question would be identical.  But if the laws of physics in each universe are different, then that would make each universe have its own system of logic as well.  For example, in one universe, one cookie plus one cookie may equal five cookies, and 1+1=2 wouldn't make any sense.  It is hard to imagine, but in theory, every one of these universes would have to have logic that works slightly differently than ours, or our universe and their universe would be identical down to the slightest detail.  However, I can't imagine how a human being, which lives based off of a certain set of physics and logic, could even exist in another universe.  We basically wouldn't be compatible.

• Brohoof 1

Yes. I've been a player of Zero Escape 2: Virtue’s Last Reward, which talks about this concept. Also, for almost all situations, I believe that if you time travel and change things in the past, you won't erase a timeline; you'll just branch off into another history that's always been there. So, depending on your definition of what's Canon and Non-canon, every fanfiction and show idea ever thought of has, is, AND will happen(ed/ing)!

• Brohoof 1