Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you Believe in the Multiverse?

Photon Jet

78 users have voted

1. 1. Do you believe in the multiverse?

• Yes
    • No

Hi everypony.

There's this topic I'd like to discuss with you all. Do you think we are in the multiverse? For those who don't know what it is, a multiverse consists of different universes. Anything that would be possible from one universe would be possible in another. Think of them as bubbles floating in the air.

In my opinion, I'd say we are in the multiverse as there is evidence that proves it. It all started when scientists found echos of a Big Bang far, far away. This caught my attention and made me believe time has no beginning or end and life is a never-ending cycle. For example, if someone passed on from one universe, he or she shall start a new life in another universe. I know this looks crazy but I believe in that sort of stuff.

So, what do you think? Do you think we are in one of the universes in outer space or are we living in just one universe?

• Brohoof 4

I believe in the Multiverse, but I'd rather explain it as sheets of paper (Universes) lying on top of each other, separated by the thin veil of the fourth dimention. It makes more sense that way when you take Big Bang as the outpour of matter and energy from another Universe (when the veil dissipates in one place, allowing passage). I've read some theories that a Universe has a life cycle, expanding and then shrinking back, with a Big Bang as a restart.

So, yeah, I believe in the Multiverse, since scientific facts do not disprove it, and some believeable theories need a Multiverse in order to work.

• Brohoof 2

While I don't believe that parallel universes exist, who knows? Our universe is colossal. Anywhere in our universe MAY lie a portal that rips into the fabric of reality, which leads to another dimension. A safer and much nicer world. 

• Brohoof 2

Nah, there's really no evidence of it.

Hehe, Somepony hasn't learned from the "Feeling Pinkie keen" episode :P

Just because there's no evidence now doesn't mean we can't find it ;)

Proof cannot be found unless discovered, either looking for the truth, or by pure coincidence of discovery..

• Brohoof 2

Hehe, Somepony hasn't learned from the "Feeling Pinkie keen" episode :P

Just because there's no evidence now doesn't mean we can't find it

Well, I don't believe that there's any evidence until we find it.
  • Brohoof 2

Well, if time travel is made possible in the future, we may be living in one-of-millions of multi-verses just because some jackasses decided to step on a butterfly when travelling to the past.

Edited by White
  • Brohoof 1

I'mma just quote myself from one of the other 'Multiverse Theory Discussion' threads on this site:

As a person who tries to be optimistic, I LOVE the idea of the multiverse and alternate realities in general!

I just love the idea that the biggest or smallest change can create a whole new place where everything is the same, but different.

Like there could be a reality where the ponies watch US on television, endless realities where the ponies are other types of animals, a reality where the ponies we watch are carnivores, a reality where we broken the boundaries between realities and us bronies meet the ponies of Equestria, one where MLP was for boys and Transformers were for girls, one where the ponies of Equestria had our problems and we had theirs, possible endless combinations where the mane 6, or even all the ponies of Equestria, have each other's personalities, and countless others!

EDIT: That has GOT to be the longest sentence ever!

I also believe in it because it supports my "time travel" theory.

https://mlpforums.com/topic/146280-is-time-travel-possible-following-this-logic/#entry4346233

Well, if time travel is made possible in the future, we may be living in one-of-millions of multi-verses just because some jackasses decided to step on a butterfly when travelling to the past.

I'd like to believe that "time travel" is more complex than that.

Edited by DJShy3
  • Brohoof 1

While it's an interesting prospect, alongside those such as quantum foam, there is very little evidence to support its tangible existence. Unfortunately we just lack the capabilities to understand the universe at such a level. And while people can use their imaginations to think up even the most alluring of hypotheses, They're no more as solid as the single universe theory. It's an aspect that we cannot physically observe in our current time.

• Brohoof 3

'd like to believe that "time travel" is more complex than that.

"Time Travel" is not that "complex", in fact, you are "time travelling"  right now.

I don't particularly support your theory, since if it were to be true, there would certainly be more evidence of "idiots from the future" coming to the past. 

Edited by White

Honestly, I don't find the multiverse that believable or convincing of a concept. It's supported by mathematical proofs that may or may not ever be applicable to the physical universe. Right now it just seems like abstract nothings. All its scientific definitions begin with "hypothetical." 

It's surprising that scientists are already discussing the possibility of an omniverse. At least that's what I heard. The multiverse was enough of a stretch to begin with. It's all starting to sound like pseudoscientific nonsense...

It's a cool idea that has inspired numerous works of science fiction. It's nonetheless an unfalsifiable idea. Whether or not there are other universes, I don't think we'll be able to find that out in this lifetime or the next. I'm not really too concerned.

I'm happy living in this universe. This universe is vast and full of beautiful stars, galaxies, nebulae, as well as infinite opportunities to explore and discover what more is out there. I don't see why there needs to be more universes.

• Brohoof 3

I don't believe in parallel-universes, for one simple reason:

the theory states that ALL possibilities exist. ALL. OF. THEM. just take a second to imagine what this means. It'd mean that there was a parallel-universe where I am not only able to travel to parallel-universes, but also able to destroy them (which I'd do). there is also a parallel-universe where I have the exact same power, but the only thing different is that I was born with one single black hair. the length of the hair varies as much as when I lost it from universe to universe, but I still have the destroyer-powers. so, if the parallel-universe-theory would be true, there'd be total chaos everywhere, in all of those universes. that's why the parallel-universe-theory can't be true the way it's told.

• Brohoof 1

"Time Travel" is not that "complex", in fact, you are "time travelling"  right now.

I don't particularly support your theory, since if it were to be true, there would certainly be more evidence of "idiots from the future" coming to the past. 

What I meant by "time travel" being complex was the idea of time travel where you don't create a universe-destroying paradox.

Also, while I understand and respect your opinion, I'd like to point out two things:

1. We could be in a universe within the multiverse where it hasn't happened to us yet. That it could and will, but won't yet because nobody has a reason to travel this far back, depending on when said "time machine" is made.
  2. We could be living in a universe within the multiverse where we are just unlucky enough to not be visited by anybody because of our universe or because we never get to the point of creating a "time machine".
Edited by DJShy3
  • Brohoof 1

Well, we once believed we were the only planet, then we discovered many other planets. We once believed we were the only galaxy, then we discovered there were other galaxies, so yeah I could definitely see the possibility of a Multiverse! ^_^

• Brohoof 5

Well, we once believed we were the only planet, then we discovered many other planets. We once believed we were the only galaxy, then we discovered there were other galaxies, so yeah I could definitely see the possibility of a Multiverse! ^_^

that's actually a pretty damn good point. daaaaamn.

• Brohoof 1

It's an idea that I like in theory just out of the idea, but there's not really enough evidence to prove about it.

It's great for science fiction writers but lacking in real science or proof.

many things were lacking proof and evidences. things that were later proven to be real. the people used to believe that the earth is flat "due to the lack of evidence" (some still do, but let's not talk about this here). then they didn't want to believe that the earth is orbiting the sun, "due to the lack of evidence" (it wasn't always just religion, guys). I'm not really agreeing here, I've already made my point about this. but "due to a lack of evidence/proof" is a pretty weak argument.

many things were lacking proof and evidences. things that were later proven to be real. the people used to believe that the earth is flat "due to the lack of evidence" (some still do, but let's not talk about this here). then they didn't want to believe that the earth is orbiting the sun, "due to the lack of evidence" (it wasn't always just religion, guys). I'm not really agreeing here, I've already made my point about this. but "due to a lack of evidence/proof" is a pretty weak argument.

I say lack of evidence because there's no evidence to support it at the moment. Scientific research is constantly developing and finding more discoveries almost every day. Maybe there will be evidence for it some day but there's not at the moment. 

• Brohoof 2

Well , there's also a good amount of things people believed without proof that later turned out to be false.
  • Brohoof 6