Do you Believe in the Multiverse?

Photon Jet

78 users have voted

1. 1. Do you believe in the multiverse?

• Yes
    • No

@@Gestum,

So what is your reasoning behind the idea that Multiverse theory is wrong? Or is that not your position?

I wouldn't say that I believe that it's wrong. It's just that I personally don't believe in things without evidence.
  • Brohoof 1

I wouldn't say that I believe that it's wrong. It's just that I personally don't believe in things without evidence.

That is the most respectable answer I believe I have seen on any debate, or otherwise in a topic people have taken seriously on this forum. Sir Gestum, you have earned my respect. While we may not be of the same opinion on this matter, we are of a similar mindset it seems. I truly appreciate what you just said and I think that I the key to coexistence. You aren't saying those of us who believe it are wrong. Simply that you are of a different belief. I can appreciate this, and it has certainly made my night. Thank you.

• Brohoof 4

I don't think there are other universes out there.

I'm religious, and religion and multiverses don't really mix all that well. :catface:

I don't think time travel is possible either. Otherwise we would have been visited loong ago. Also, there are countless paradoxes involved with time travel, so I don't think it's possible.

• Brohoof 1

Thats fair, but I think some of the theories hold quite a bit of water. For instance up until yesterday we had never detected Gravitational waves even though the math was all there. Now we have detected gravitational waves and its moved from theory to bonafide fact. 

• Brohoof 1

Personally yes, I do believe in the multiverse.

I know theres not a whole lot of evidence for it, but what does that say about anything?

It just means we haven't really discovered it ourselves yet. That doesn't mean it's not real.

Thats the way I see it, anyway.

Looking at how my reality has turned out here, I find it oddly comforting to know that elsewhere, elsewhen, elseworlds, I became a multi-millionaire, a polyamorist, a feral living guru, a homeowner, a female, a time traveler, a pop star, a good cop, a well-liked president, and yes, even a unicorn. *Adam Sandler's happy place theme plays in the background*

Conversely, I still give thanks that I went on to experience THIS reality instead of Harrison Bergeron Earth, Orwellian Earth, Huckabee Earth, Post-Apocalyptic Earth, Plague Earth, Body Harvest Earth, Quadriplegic-Me Earth or...gulp...Zombie Earth...*shiver*

• Brohoof 4

Conversely, I still give thanks that I went on to experience THIS reality instead of Harrison Bergeron Earth, Orwellian Earth, Huckabee Earth, Post-Apocalyptic Earth, Plague Earth, Body Harvest Earth, Quadriplegic-Me Earth or...gulp...Zombie Earth...*shiver*

This pretty much is Orwellian Earth, and getting more Orwellian with each passing month.

• Brohoof 1

At this point, no. It is something that doesn't seem to have any real evidence for and it is most likely a very rough topic anyways. How could we even go about this in the first place? At this point, it doesn't even seem remotely possible and I think we should focus on other big subjects. Space and stuff. 

• Brohoof 3

• 4 years later...

I certainly believe it is a possibility. The universe is (at least last I heard) flat. So there’s plenty of room above it and below it then for more stuff right?

Well, it’s a shame that argument is a fallacy. It suggests the universe is expanding into something. It’s not. The universe is just expanding. 

However, when you’re thinking in terms of multiple universes, barring the concept of superspace, where exactly would these other universes be? Are they neatly stacked? Are they scattered? Do they overlap or not? Are there a finite number or no?

The explanations that suggest multiverse also seem to suggest one universe too. I could be wrong but that is how I’ve seen the arguments presented. I personally believe that our universe is finite in the sense that it has a beginning, but infinite in the sense that it’s rate of expansion at its furthest reaches are at speeds that we will never be able to replicate, and even if we could, we would never be able to leave it in such a manner. 

Rambling aside, my best answer to this would be hypothesis non fingo. The evidence I have been presented is abstract more so than direct.

• Brohoof 3

I don't see any practical implications for believing or not believing. I don't know if it would even be possible to test the idea. Though it might never be provable, it doesn't do any harm to believe in it.

• Brohoof 1

Yeah, I like to believe it’s real. But I love all that sci-fi and conspiracy theory stuff. ^_^ The theory of the multiverse just fascinates me. I like to think that’s why we have deja vu. :wacko:

• Brohoof 2

It is the question of what is our reality and what is reality. 

Reality is all that is real. What is real, real is everything that exists. You can not therefore say it isn't real or that it is real yet one thing is certain that our reality is real. Though again real to us, to me who's to say everyone lives in that same reality or even at the same time. 

So a multiverse would make sense. Though mostly as we can't say there isn't a multiverse. I believe this is more the question of whether you want to believe in the multiverse or not as you can't realy say much on it.

• Brohoof 1

4 hours ago, Lucky Bolt said:

Yeah, I like to believe it’s real. But I love all that sci-fi and conspiracy theory stuff. ^_^ The theory of the multiverse just fascinates me. I like to think that’s why we have deja vu. :wacko:

I am personally fascinated by both big foot and UFOs! Because let's face.it whole there are a lot of hoaxes many people have seen far far too much for it to be a hoax! There is even a theory that UFOs are us!, Time travelers from the distant future! Heck I even saw a video on YouTube of this weirdddd looking something in the sky, there was even a weirder one but I looked like it got.....taken down! 

• 5 months later...

I believe that there are things that our minds are not capable of comprehending; I am a dreamer, and I'd like for the multiverse to actually be a thing. However, I'd also like to see some evidence.

On 11/2/2020 at 11:43 AM, Splashee said:

There are no ghosts

you'd be surprised

• Brohoof 2