Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you believe in ghosts?

darkwingmare

For some reason I feel kind of embarrassed about believing so strongly in ghosts, spirits and paranormal in general. At the same time I'm also interested in paranormal but also a little scared of it. I can't say I have experienced anything paranormal myself yet, but my classmate has: when her mom took a picture of herself, the photo showed an unknown man standing behind her, but his face wasn't visible. The classmate herself and her mom were the only people in the house during that time, and I really can't think of a reasonable natural explanation to this.  :ooh:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I am a definitely a believer in the supernatural. My house has always been very haunted since it is so old being built in 1839. From what Ive seen in the records alot of stuff has happened in it the worst being a fire in 1875 that was caused by a boiler in the basement exploding. Killing most of the workers and some of the children that went there since it was connected to a school at the time as well. So sometimes you may hear some muffled voices or actually see a apparition around the house. But the basement I would say is the most haunted I always feel a pair of eyes on me down there. There is many more happenings but if I posted them all this would be a very long post.

I've always believed in ghost but not in the way books and movies depict them. I don't believe it's possible to see a ghost no matter how bad you want to and I don't think those ghost haunting shows are real. They're pure entertainment and nothing more.

No, I don't believe in ghosts. I never made a spiritual experiance and I also don't believe in a life after death. I also think that every paranormal phenomenon is physically or psychologic explicable. But I must say I find ghost Hunting really interesting and a little bit exciting. 

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I do hope that anything I say does not offend anybody if it does then I apologize, but yes I am a believer in ghost, but I am also a believer in gods, goddesses, deity's which are lesser gods, demons, angels, spirits, poltergeist and the rest, but if you go looking for spirits or other supernatural beings then you will most likely see nothing or you may be attacked they must want to come to you and just don't look with your eyes you were given as strange as this sounds, but with the eye you were gifted with which is your third eye.

Edited by chaosprincess
  • Brohoof 2

I definitely believe in ghosts and have had experiences with the supernatural and spirits. I would love to investigate haunted locations and be a paranormal investigator.

^^Yep pretty much my situation too :D

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

I believe in ghosts but the only real paranormal experience I have had personally was being by myself and seeing a cup on a table somehow just slide to the other end. Not very extravagant but still I can't explain it.

I think there are so many things that go on in this world that we can't explain, that have to do with paranormal activity, that i think ghosts are actually not out of the question.

I think that i never had an experience with a ghost. But sometimes, i get this weird feeling that i am being watched at night.

Same with me every night. I feel that I am secretly being watched somehow, even though there isn't anybody in the room.

Time for a story. So, at my old house, maybe about 5 years ago, I was getting ready for school on a normal day. I was about... 10 at the time and I wasn't really sure ghosts existed. I had sometimes been afraid of the dark for no apparent reason, and I would always try to get out of dark rooms as soon as I could. After I had ate and gotten ready by brushing my teeth and all of that, I went to turn out all the lights in the house to save energy. I went in my parents bedroom, and the light was already out, but what caught my eye was a transparent bodily figure floating and running across the room. There was no one I the room, so I ran out, shut the door, and ran downstairs.. When running down the stairs, I swear I heard some scratching in the bathroom right next to me.

That's pretty much my ghost story, but I honestly am not sure if I believe in ghosts.

No.  I don't believe in things on insufficient evidence.  My beliefs would adjust accordingly if there was substantial evidence of ghosts that occupied a respectable place in our academic discourse.  Instead, ghosts are exiled to the same place as UFO encounters and alien abduction.  Every ghost encounter is either fake, uncorroborated hearsay, a misinterpretation of explainable, rational events, or a hallucination.  It's worth noting that experiencing a hallucination is fairly common, and does not mean that a person is crazy.  It can happen for all sorts of reasons.  The brain is powerful enough to make us see or hear anything that isn't there, and vice versa: it can prevent us from seeing or hearing what is there.  For most part, our brains show us what is really there, and only what is really there, because that's what they've evolved to do.  It's their job, and they are pretty good at it, most of the time.  They won't falter in their job for no reason.  But the brain's ability to show us an accurate reality can become surprisingly tenuous more often than you might think.

My biggest question regarding ghosts is this:  if they did exist, then why would they intentionally keep themselves exiled to that spooky, mythical, pseudo-science corner of our world?  What would they have to gain by doing this?  Why would their only means of interacting with us being creepy haunting tactics?  If ghosts did exist, it seems more likely to me that they would be like Obi-Wan in Return of the Jedi.  Answers such as "they don't have enough energy or strength to fully appear in broad daylight" seem a complete cop-out.  The real answer is much simpler and more reasonable: people like ghost stories.  They're fun.  Spooky stuff is fun.  Halloween is fun.  Unexplained phenomena are interesting.  People want to live in a world full of mystery, and feel it gives life more meaning.  My answer to this is exactly the same as those I've provided in the many criticisms of religion that I've written: we need not believe anything on insufficient evidence to lead fulfilling lives full of romance and even spirituality.  The greatest, most wonderful, and most terrifying mysteries of all time are all around us, and have nothing to do with pseudo-science or grainy, low-rez, shaky cam videos of spooky eyes and disembodied figures lurking in the catacombs of the ancient world.

• 2 years later...

I do believe in ghosts. I'm pretty sure my basement is inhabited by one. My nephew's toys would turn on by themselves and I swear that they would move on their own.

• Brohoof 1

I most certainly do not, but I don't go out of my way to try and do something to invoke "their" wrath, both out of superstition and out of respect. To word it a bit differently, I don't go exploring creepy houses, despite not believing that anything supernatural would happen. 

• Brohoof 3

• 4 months later...

Yes...just so happens I do. :sealed: I've had plenty of..interesting experiences, let's just say that. 

Edited by Lucky Bolt
  • Brohoof 2

• 4 weeks later...
(edited)

Nope, as ghosts are nothing but superstition and there's no actual tangible evidence that they exist.

Edited by Nsxile
  • Brohoof 1

On 12/14/2018 at 10:41 PM, JonasDarkmane said:

I most certainly do not, but I don't go out of my way to try and do something to invoke "their" wrath, both out of superstition and out of respect. To word it a bit differently, I don't go exploring creepy houses, despite not believing that anything supernatural would happen. 

This pretty much sums up my feelings on the topic. 

I own camera equipment that would be used by "ghost hunters", but I don't go to places looking for them. I use the gear for my hobbies in astronomy and photography.

(edited)

I don't believe in the paranormal, personally. At least 90% of the accounts involving it are bogus so I find it difficult to. I mean I suppose I respect people who do believe in it, but the lack of sufficient evidence and facts backing it up makes it difficult to believe in.

However, I believe ghosts could be a possibility, though I think the explanation would be less paranormal and more temporal in how they would be. I think it could be some sort of localized ripple in the fabric of space-time where the past overlaps with the present. A bit of a stretch, but that would be my hypothesis.

Edited by Dusklicious
  • Brohoof 1