Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general media In the face of Broly, what else out of Toei’s originals may become canon?

Steve Piranha

We all know the issue: only Toriyama’s vision and work on the Dragon Ball manga is considered canon, and every Toei’s original, be it OVAs, filler, and even a spin-off sequel isn’t. Among the latter is the Legendary Super Saiyan himself, who surprised many when the news hit that the first DBS film canonizing him

Spoiler

Not only that: Gogeta has been canonized in the same film as well

So, is that the start of other non-canon lore to be adapted in the official DB canon?

who knows? But this inspired me to open this thread (it has spoilers of the DBS manga)

https://comicbook.com/anime/2019/01/16/dragon-ball-super-broly-super-saiyan-4-powers/

• Brohoof 2

I really haven't followed anything Dragon Ball related in a LONG time, but the first bit of DB media that I ever saw was the Garlic Jr saga of DBZ. As such; it's a wish of mine that Garlic Jr become canon one day.

Probably a long shot, but ehhhhhh

• Brohoof 1

Cooler is far less popular than Broly, but he”s still the second most popular OVA villain, so he may (and I hope), he becomes canon. They’ve already changed Broly’s backstory and character, so they can do so again with Cooler. I do see more likely for the SS4 to be canon over Cooler tho 

• Brohoof 1

I think it would be pretty cool if they made Cooler canon. It was interesting to see him in the movies he appeared in. It was also something to see that Frieza would have a sibling. Seeing that Frieza is an iconic villain in the Dragon Ball franchise, it would be cool to see other members of the Frieza race to appear.

On 1/16/2019 at 11:47 PM, PathfinderCS said:

I really haven't followed anything Dragon Ball related in a LONG time, but the first bit of DB media that I ever saw was the Garlic Jr saga of DBZ. As such; it's a wish of mine that Garlic Jr become canon one day.

Probably a long shot, but ehhhhhh

I would also like to see Garlic Jr to become canon. I remember owning the whole Garlic Jr saga on VHS. While it was filler, I actually found the saga to be rather interesting. Plus, the whole conflict he had against Kami was interesting, but I wish we could have learned more from the old movies. Plus, I think he was the first villain to ever attain immortality.

On 1/17/2019 at 11:35 AM, Steve Piranha said:

I do see more likely for the SS4 to be canon over Cooler tho 

Now that Gogeta is considered canon, I would love to see SS4 to be canon. Especially how there is a SS4 Gogeta in GT. It makes me wonder if they could make GT canon, but rework the series, in a way.

I would also like to see Lord Slug become and Jinemba to become canon. Since we saw other Namekians in the Tournament of Power saga. It would be cool to learn more about the lore of the Namekians. I also thought Jinemba was a pretty unique and cool villain when he appeared in the movie, Fusion Reborn. I'm not exactly sure how they could bring him into the series, but it would be neat to see him fade in and out of reality, while he fights.