Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What age does a boyfriend/girlfriend becomes manfriend/womanfriend

RainbowMau

The reason why people call their boyfriends and girlfriends boyfriend and girlfriend instead of manfriend and womanfriend is simply because they sound a lot better. Boyfriend and girlfriend get straight to the point while manfriend and womanfriend just sound awkward. It is really best just to not over think things and take everything so literally because the terms were never intended to be literal anyway.

Have to say, I don't like the term "partner". Makes a relationship sound like two carthorses pulling a plough or like it's a business arrangement. :P

And it has the added implication of nearly always being used to refer to gay relationships as well, not that there is anything wrong with them but that implication in an of itself leaves room for misinterpretation in addition to sounding dry and clinical. On that note I don't like the term "significant other" either because it also just sounds needlessly formal.

• Brohoof 1

• 5 years later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I think "girlfriend" and "boyfriend" sound a lot better, so I would use those words in any case. If you're old, you're old – why make yourself seem even older with specific word choices? :muffins:

• Brohoof 2

• 1 year later...
On 2023-11-16 at 7:04 AM, Clawdeen said:

I ever hear somebody using these terms instead of girlfriend and boyfriend I'm calling the cops.

I read the title multiple times as "When Does Boyfriend/Girlfriend Become Marefriend" I see your point... :sealed:

On 2019-11-30 at 4:13 PM, Rainy said:

I don't know why but the word "ladyfriend" has always made me laugh. :laugh: 

I've heard "ladyfriend" in TV shows but I've never heard it in normal conversation. :twi:

Edited by Sparklefan1234
  • Brohoof 3

There is no expiration date on the terms Boyfriend of Girlfriend. I call grown men ‘boys,’ and grown ladies ‘girls’. Many people call me a ‘girl’ even though I’m an adult, and I think it’s charming. One thing I don’t care for is being called a ‘woman’ because the insecure modern generations overuse it as though ‘girl’ or ‘lady’ is somehow a downgrade. I recently saw a movie in which two young girls (10 or 11 years old) were referred to as ‘women’ as though they needed some sort of ‘empowerment’ and I laughed my head off as I changed the channel, never to return.

• Hugs 1