Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

When does Over-Positivity Become Damaging?

Moved to Elsewhere

Positivity is damaging to everything negative....meaning it makes the world a better place.

Vice versa happens too... So let's destroy the world with positivity! (The world has become negative only one way to destroy it)

• Brohoof 1

I could use some positives but overly positive could lead to ignorance and oblivious 

If their parents and friends just told them "hey, you sound like crap", then maybe they would not have been humiliated in front of lots of people.

Instead of trying to "be positive" people should try to be more honest, even if other people do not like that. If something is crap, then just say so.

Also, people should be able to handle negativity - not everyone is nice and there will be some people you encounter who will absolutely despise you for one reason or another. You should be able to stand up to them and not break down immediately (and not resort to violence or something else unwise as well).

Maybe the Facebook culture of "likes for everything" is actually damaging...

• Brohoof 1

I think that safe space/hugbox trend that exists in certain circles both on- and offline is taking positivity way too far, indeed to the point that those within it lose the ability to deal with any form of criticism. Truthfully, though, even though I often ask for criticism on my writing and I do take it to heart, I don't really like receiving it. I'd like to just be praised by others, even though I constantly tear myself down, and I wouldn't be surprised if that goes for most people. Being criticized isn't fun, plain and simple, so the evolution of places where you can be sheltered from criticism is probably a natural thing, to a degree.

Ultimately, I think people should try to see where someone is coming from when they are giving criticism. Is it coming from a desire to help, or to hurt? If it's the first, be grateful, and if it's the second, just ignore it since it's meaningless anyway.

Surrounding yourself with dishonest people is not a good idea, but then if your are not honest with yourself. What do you hope to attract? Don't be afraid of looking in the mirror as you stand naked before truth. Many things you won't like, but the core of the matter is accepting what is, without judgement, fear and ignorance.

The more you do this, the more you come into your own humanity. And away from an artificial persona that does nothing but hinder your true development. The purpose is to grow as a human being, not a personality in society.

2 hours ago, They call me Loyalty said:

Many things you won't like, but the core of the matter is accepting what is, without judgement, fear and ignorance.

Also, you are not perfect, nobody is. That means you will think or do something stupid some of the time. Would you rather some person told you it is stupid or will you wait for the laws of physics to do it in a way that would hurt much more?

Positivity is fine when it’s honest. It’s okay to be polite and all that but after a while it can be overdone and annoying. That’s why the word ‘genius’ is among my least favorite in the lexicon; because it’s way too overused and very seldom truly deserved. 

• Brohoof 1

• 3 years later...

Toxic positivity is a pretty common thing that some people tend to do without even realizing it. Highly recommend people look into it more. I've taken a few online classes in my workplace on this sort of stuff. Pretty insightful.

• Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...

When you start ignoring reality. And I don't mean reality as in "all the bad stuff" like no, I'm talking about the good and bad. Being unable to tell if something is actually bad or ignoring it because you are being too positive can be dangerous. It's the same way with negativity, like you ignore the positive stuff so all you see is negative, that leads to problems.

You just need a balance, which is hard to do but try to at least look at both the positive and negative. There will be times where you are more negative than positive and such, but only having one is what can lead to bad problems.