Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Tired of Zombie apocalypse games?

heavens-champion

I'm a fan of zombies as much as the next guy, but zombie apocalypses aren't the only theme for post-apocalyptic video games. I discovered three post-apocalyptic video games called Fade to Silence, Desolate, and Remnant From the Ashes, which don't really deal with a zombie apocalypse, but monsters invading. Anyone want more video games where monsters invade the Earth, cause I find that much more new and creative.

• Brohoof 1

No, I'm not tired of zombie games. Some of my favorite games are zombie games. For example, L4D2 and Killing Floor 2 (even though they are called zeds).

• Brohoof 3

Zombies are essentially the new vampires. There was once a time where everything was about vampires back when Twilight was big, now everything is about zombies since The Walking Dead got big. However, I don't care if a game has zombies or not so long as it's good. I'm a longtime fan of Resident Evil and actually liked the gameplay I saw from Metal Gear Survive. Only reason I didn't pick it up was because of that stupid online play only crap. :scoots:

• Brohoof 1

I love sandbox ~ survival and things like this and usually these include zombies. I'm not tired of seeing them in games - to be honest I don't really care what kinds of entities you'll have to deal with as long as the gameplay is enjoyable. Besides, zombies are nice targets. :mlp_icwudt:

• Brohoof 2

That could just be a result of the over-saturation of zombies in general. What I personally am tired of, are post-apocalyptic games that never allow the player to influence anything. Of course if it is strictly a narrative thing I suppose that makes sense, but I want some games set in a world like this that we can actually improve and watch it become better and see it slowly recover because of our actions. That is what I want. That is one main reason I never could get into Fallout, it just feels like you are in a hopeless, dead world that can never recover. Kinda takes me out of it all. Sure Fallout 4 has the building mechanics, but I haven't played much of it.

Edited by Kyoshi

3 hours ago, Kyoshi said:

That could just be a result of the over-saturation of zombies in general. What I personally am tired of, are post-apocalyptic games that never allow the player to influence anything. Of course if it is strictly a narrative thing I suppose that makes sense, but I want some games set in a world like this that we can actually improve and watch it become better and see it slowly recover because of our actions. That is what I want. That is one main reason I never could get into Fallout, it just feels like you are in a hopeless, dead world that can never recover. Kinda takes me out of it all. Sure Fallout 4 has the building mechanics, but I haven't played much of it.

Well, used to be. Its popularity peaked around 2016 or so along with survival games until the new hot genre became hero shooters and then battle royale. It's clearly not dead though, considering great games like Killing Floor 2 are still being actively updated and The Last of Us 2 is still generating quite a bit of hype. Personally, I think it's a good thing that the zombie apocalypse trend has largely passed so we can get fewer but higher quality games. 

13 hours ago, heavens-champion said:

I'm a fan of zombies as much as the next guy, but zombie apocalypses aren't the only theme for post-apocalyptic video games. I discovered three post-apocalyptic video games called Fade to Silence, Desolate, and Remnant From the Ashes, which don't really deal with a zombie apocalypse, but monsters invading. Anyone want more video games where monsters invade the Earth, cause I find that much more new and creative.

One of my favorite "post-apocalyptic" genre games is The Long Dark, which is a pretty underrated indie game – admittedly, while the setting is post-apocalyptic (a geo-magnetic disaster has essentially wrecked the entire planet's power grid and set humanity back into the dark ages), it focuses a lot more on survival against the freezing elements, and it does a great job on portraying survivalism realistically. Sleep, food, water, and warmth are essential, and injuries and diseases require extensive treatment to survive. 

I personally am not the biggest fan of zombies as a whole. Maybe it's how over saturated they've become, or maybe it's just that 9 times out of 10 I can't get into zombie-related stuff (well, Borderlands' Dr. Ned's Zombie Island DLC and the first couple of seasons of The Walking Dead are exceptions).  

I also don't like the back story of said zombies. I prefer how games like Fallout handle their apocalyptic back stories. Instead of it being a random accident caused by a couple of idiots in a lab, the story is fleshed out. There's actually a lesson to be learned (that is, don't f*** with other countries, especially ones that could wipe you off the face of the Earth. Oh and that Vault-Tec is evil).

I'm not tired of them, since I've only played a few games in the genre. They are engaging when done right, but I can see why they're declared as oversaturated. 

• 1 year later...