Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

researching Issues moving text cursor with arrow keys?

Barnstormer

Is anyone else having issues where they can't move the text cursor with their keyboards arrow keys lately? As far as I can tell it's not my keyboard or PC, cuz it works just fine on any other site or text editor program, it's just the textboxes here, but it seems not to happen immediately...there's something that causes it to stop and I can't figure out what, or how to get it working again once it's stopped besides going to a new page and writing a new comment/post/message (eg. just before I posted this, I was commenting on a friend's status, worked fine initially, had problems start at some point in the middle of writing the comment, and now it's working fine again as I write this post). :wacko:

This is a quite old bug and it's within this text editor, so yes, it's not your keyboard, nor your PC.

When you're putting emoticons by typing their names like this:

Spoiler

JiVuz61.gif&key=7a1986769ca31b7b069f60b8

There's a chance, that after selecting the emoticon it will insert it AND create a new paragraph (go to next line, that is). Normally it puts the emoticon and lets you type further, right after it (as seen in the gif above), but sometimes it *automatically* goes to the next line for some reason.

When that happens, the editor glitches and arrow keys refuse to work. What's more, the search box with these won't appear anymore.

Spoiler

W3M0RJN.gif&key=a0ba74220cdc380c2cbc929e

Summarizing, as a result:

eQYSUUc.png Emoticon search won't popup. You'll have to type full names of the emoticons or use the button in the toolbar.
eQYSUUc.png You can't move the text cursor using arrow keys. You can still move it while holding [SHIFT] though, but it also highlights the contents.
eQYSUUc.png This also partially affects mentioning. While the search box does appear, you cannot select the user with the keyboard, as arrow keys refuse to work. You need to type the name and click the member with a mouse. Otherwise mentioning won't work.

1KHxxtz.png This glitch can also occur after mentioning users. Just like with emoticons, there is a chance, that after mentioning a member, the arrow keys will break with the effects mentioned above.

1KHxxtz.png This only affects the text editor the glitch occurred in. For example, if you go to status updates and the editor glitches in one of them, everything will work properly in other statuses. That's why things worked again when you switched to thread creation.

Sadly, at the moment there aren't any known ways to fix this other than refreshing the page. That happens and when it does, you need to refresh the page to get it working properly again. A good idea is to copy everything you have before refreshing, just in case. :twi:

1 hour ago, Rikifive said:

This is a quite old bug and it's within this text editor, so yes, it's not your keyboard, nor your PC.

When you're putting emoticons by typing their names like this:

Reveal hidden contents

JiVuz61.gif&key=7a1986769ca31b7b069f60b8

There's a chance, that after selecting the emoticon it will insert it AND create a new paragraph (go to next line, that is). Normally it puts the emoticon and lets you type further, right after it (as seen in the gif above), but sometimes it *automatically* goes to the next line for some reason.

When that happens, the editor glitches and arrow keys refuse to work. What's more, the search box with these won't appear anymore.

Reveal hidden contents

W3M0RJN.gif&key=a0ba74220cdc380c2cbc929e

Summarizing, as a result:

eQYSUUc.png Emoticon search won't popup. You'll have to type full names of the emoticons or use the button in the toolbar.
eQYSUUc.png You can't move the text cursor using arrow keys. You can still move it while holding [SHIFT] though, but it also highlights the contents.
eQYSUUc.png This also partially affects mentioning. While the search box does appear, you cannot select the user with the keyboard, as arrow keys refuse to work. You need to type the name and click the member with a mouse. Otherwise mentioning won't work.

1KHxxtz.png This glitch can also occur after mentioning users. Just like with emoticons, there is a chance, that after mentioning a member, the arrow keys will break with the effects mentioned above.

1KHxxtz.png This only affects the text editor the glitch occurred in. For example, if you go to status updates and the editor glitches in one of them, everything will work properly in other statuses. That's why things worked again when you switched to thread creation.

Sadly, at the moment there aren't any known ways to fix this other than refreshing the page. That happens and when it does, you need to refresh the page to get it working properly again. A good idea is to copy everything you have before refreshing, just in case. :twi:

Ah. Weird. I posted because I've been on the site off and on for a year now and it only just started happening to me in the last few days, so I was very confused lol.

• Brohoof 1

I'm not sure since when exactly it started to happen, but this is a bug I've been experiencing countless of times for months and months now. It's very inconvenient, but I couldn't come up with anything to stop/avoid that yet. It is something the forum software devs should look into I'm afraid.

It was even reported here earlier:

-and even before that report I was aware of that issue for a long time, as I've been struggling with this myself.

• 1 year later...
  • The topic was locked