Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

health Anyone with mental health issues?

CandyCorn

I felt a little bit odd during the heat wave. Nothing to worry about, but just thinking about it made me worried about having some mental illness.

(edited)

I'd say I have some degree of anxiety and have had a few panic attacks over the years, but I've never been diagnosed with anything as I haven't sought help, these feelings come and go though and I'm ok most of the time.

Edited by Rainbow Cloud

Aside from having Asperger's Syndrome, which was diagnosed when I was 12, I get terribly anxious and stressed out whenever my coursework is too tough or I feel sick in some way or another. Sometimes, if I'm really tired, I can't really deal with loud noises or bright lights. I don't really like the sound of whispering, either (the sound of whispering just really bothers me sometimes). I really don't like the sound of yelling, either (more often than not, it brings me to tears).

• 2 months later...

The whole mental health concept is kinda flimsy to me.

It rings too close to the idea of mental illness which is really just is a social construct (apart from a few issues which are more physically based so those are different). Putting a label on a cluster of symptoms. It is actually an age old debate why "emotional difficulties" should be called such. Not saying these things aren't real btw. And mental health is just another nicer sounding version of this and it stems into the same concept. I think it is very dehumanising and seems more like a judgement than anything of your place in society. Yet people who are supposedly normal yet obviously have issues with drinking or else because they are still functioning they are seen as okay. 

https://iai.tv/articles/does-mental-illness-exist-auid-1280

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2009/jun/21/doctoring-the-mind-richard-bentall

I do think like though approaches like CBT (which is super popular) and that can be useful though. Or expression through journalling, art or drama and that. Otherwise yeah dealing with the problems in your life might help if you are able to, at least if they were the cause of your symptoms, if you don't have a great life situation then that may be a contributing factor. Or maybe a sudden sad event pushed you down. And having a positive and constructive attitude. 

As for my own issues yeah I am going through a lot of struggles some physical things and emotional.

Pandemic related stuff has brought me down a ton, and my dad being an ass often and driven me to the point of tears but i'm learning to be stronger. Friends and people who i thought were there for me were not always there and some even left me. But I think things will always be okay. It is a little demotivating spending so much time in the same house and not having a work home life divide. It does bring an imbalance. Sure at least I don't have the commute stress but I really don't see anyone much other than my parents anymore at least that I actually talk to. I often want space and time away for myself but it's much harder. 

Edited by flurry

• 2 months later...

I was diagnosed with anxiety and depression as a teen. The biggest thing in my life currently, Which I guess this kind of fits here, Would be my eating disorder. I’ve been attempting to recover from anorexia. I’m not underweight anymore (technically it’s like two pounds above underweight but I’ll take my victories where I can) and some of my health issues/concerns caused by this have improved or went away. 

I do have them, unfortunately but my parents don't want to admit that something is wrong with me, so I've never been to a psychiatrist. I never went there myself either cuz I get very anxious when I have to leave my house (esp. by myself) and when I have to talk to people I've never met.

Edited by yungsparkle7

I think the fandom on itself has been plagued with people with issues from the very beginning. I am no exception to this. Got big trust issues and anxiety problems. I was an alcoholic as well, and while I can control myself, I'm still adicted to nicotine.

• Brohoof 1

I got diagnosed with depression and social anxiety in high school, but thankfully my depression is mostly gone these days, or at the very least asleep. I'm also extremely avoidant, paranoid, and I'm reasonably certain I've got inattentive ADHD, which is a big problem considering my dream job is in the realm of self employment. I keep meaning to see the doctor about that. I would have done it by now, but my mom kind of laughed when I asked her to take me to the doctor earlier in the year, which has kind of put me off it. Not sure how to go without getting my insurance info from her.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been diagnosed with Aspergers, depression, and anxiety, and questioned possibly having bpd and stpd.

I get mood swings caused by things that would be small to most people and tend to have a thin skin and be paranoid of most people outside of my family. I'd go to a psychologist again but I'm too scared to go to one now :awwthanks:

Been diagnosed with things such as bipolar, depression, adhd, autism (I believe in the high to mid range educationally), anxiety, and NPD - although my NPD has not been officially diagnosed it's heavily speculated. It is a somewhat newly discovered mental illness so it's not going to be the easiest thing to diagnose especially since it overlaps a lot with bipolar. 
I've been developing extreme paranoia and downright awful hallucinations and delusions lately too so that's fun. :yeahno:

Not been able to go to therapy for a long time now but whatever ponies are all I need for my daily dopamine boosts.

• 2 years later...