Jump to content
Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

S09:E09 - Sweet and Smoky


FlareGun45
Message added by MangoFoalix

This thread will have spoilers in it. BEWARE!!!

How was the episode?  

89 users have voted

  1. 1. How was the episode?

    • I accept it for how it is without bullying it (loved it)
      19
    • I can kinda accept it to a respect (liked it)
      42
    • Dunno whether or not to accept it (meh)
      16
    • I can accept it, but my friends didn't, so I don't (disliked it)
      8
    • It's different, and therefore it must be bullied (hated it)
      4


Recommended Posts

(edited)
6 minutes ago, TheTaZe said:

Also, this was just posed on Derpibooru.

Cute

image.thumb.png.221d0baf8bc654957c59262660ea25c6.png

Smolder, calm down. Some characters take longer to redeem than others.

Maybe later in S9, we'll see Smolder, Garble and Spike having fun, even if it's a small segment, it'll still count.

Edited by Brainstorm
  • Brohoof 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Other then some cringy moments, the episode had other problems. Like the fire laughter is something new, I dont remember it from previous episodes. The ending was rushed, the dragons should not have changed their minds so easily, and the ending just felt so forced with them even laughing at the eggs. However the interactions between the characters felt for the majority right, FS was awesome, ember was great(she is best dragon) and the problem was pretty interesting. This episode is not perfect but miles better than the previous episode Kim Beyer-Johnson wrote.

  • Brohoof 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Rushing cash said:

Other then some cringy moments, the episode had other problems. Like the fire laughter is something new, I dont remember it from previous episodes. The ending was rushed, the dragons should not have changed their minds so easily, and the ending just felt so forced with them even laughing at the eggs. However the interactions between the characters felt for the majority right, FS was awesome, ember was great(she is best dragon) and the problem was pretty interesting. This episode is not perfect but miles better than the previous episode Kim Beyer-Johnson wrote.

Honestly have to agree with pretty much everything here. Only thing you really didn't mention was that it basically was another Spike abuse episode. Haven't had one of those in awhile.

Still though, Fluttershy made the episode at least watchable for me.

  • Brohoof 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, TheTaZe said:

Honestly have to agree with pretty much everything here. Only thing you really didn't mention was that it basically was another Spike abuse episode. Haven't had one of those in awhile.

Still though, Fluttershy made the episode at least watchable for me.

She's the highlight of the episode imo

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, TheTaZe said:

Honestly have to agree with pretty much everything here. Only thing you really didn't mention was that it basically was another Spike abuse episode. Haven't had one of those in awhile.

Still though, Fluttershy made the episode at least watchable for me.

Spike wasn't abused, it was about making amends with your enemies.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

(edited)

Thoughts on episode 
I mean it was OKAY. Maybe I'm just saying that because I dislike the writer seeing as she gave us with the second worst episode of the entire series with Non-Compete Clause last year 

This episode is a lot better. The weakest part is the ending. I'm pretty sure they thought it was clever of them to use Garble's talent to hatch the eggs and I guess it kinda was. The downside to that idea is it came off as very cringy and hard for me to watch, I also think it went on way too long. 

I knew from the first time I read the synopsis I said outloud to myself. "The brother is gonna be Garble isn't it?" and I was completely on point. I mean It's cool to see Smolder get expansion I GUESS but I would have liked to see a new character. I know it would be a huge workload to develop one especially this late in the series but still, points lost for predictability.

I do want to mention Fluttershy who I think was written FANTASTICALLY in the second half of the episode, asserting herself and dealing with Garble was a real treat to watch.   

Other than those things I mostly mildly enjoyed the episode, We got to see more of the dragon lands, Ember is always nice, I liked Smolder, I hated the Spike abuse, but mostly it was a fairly good episode. 

6.4/10 

Edited by Zantetsuken
  • Brohoof 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Brainstorm said:

Spike wasn't abused, it was about making amends with your enemies.

Spike not getting made fun of for half the episode and being pushed around like nothing by the dragons isn't abuse?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

(edited)

MLP Sweet and Smokey.

SPOILER ALERT! Another good episode for season 9. I particularly liked the episode’s lesson because it goes into the reasons why a person or dragon in this case, can become a bully in the first place, and showed and a true meaning of strength. Strength was exemplified in Spike who truly was the bigger dragon is showing Grabble such patience. I loved Spike in this entire episode especially when he figured out what was wrong with the eggs. I’m so glad Grabble got some character development beyond a complete stereotype of a bully. I’m glad the show found a good way to bring him back by connecting him to Smolder. This episode proves that she was just joking when she said she had no connection with her brother after his Molt. I’m glad we got to see dragons caring for each other. I loved seeing how much Fluttershy has grown as a character when she defended Spike and how she showed such a deep understanding of Grabble and kindness. I saw in this episode why Twilight made Fluttershy a professor of kindness. My problem with the episode was how Fluttershy never even mentioned how terrified of adult dragons she used to be. I suppose we can assume she just lost a lot of her fear by being around Smolder? Diversity message was a bit forced. 

Edited by StitchandMLPlover
  • Brohoof 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't like this episode at all Spike gets pushed around and abused pretty much the entire time. And the reason for garble bullying spike is just unacceptable. That being said there were a couple of things I like about this episode I like the Fluttershy and spike interactions and pretty much every Fluttershy scene is great, Fluttershy ws the best part of the episode for me she save it from being the worst of the season. 

But yea overall a very disappointing episode 2nd least favorite with first being uprooted

Link to comment
Share on other sites

(edited)
1 hour ago, Will Guide said:

Garble's hidden depths reminds me of Beret Girl from an Extremely Goofy Movie. Only it's like if the jerk in this clip ended up becoming a poet himself.

Does anyone else see the connection?

I think you got the wrong guy. Bradley Uppercrust III is a jerk for Pete's sake. PJ on the other hand, had to put up with being bullied by Pete all throughout Goof Troop. When he left for College, though, PJ was more open to the experience in poetry, and getting the Beret Girl in the end. Not to mention, Brad got his comeuppance in the end.

Garble is a more sensitive guy, but when recognized as a hero, he became a trendsetter. Kinda like those jerks in Cloudsdale who called Rainbow Dash "Rainbow Crash!" After she did the Sonic Rainboom, she was seen in a new light, and one that would eventually carry her on her way to being one of the few, the proud, the Wonderbolts! And to me, Fluttershy came off as Serah, AKA, Meanie Miss Farron! She's one of those teachers who's nice to you if you were good, but scare you when you weren't. As quick as Lightning, she can turn from smiling angel to angry ogre just like that! No doubt about it, Fluttershy is a dead ringer for Meanie Miss Farron.
 

 

Edited by YoshiAngemon
Link to comment
Share on other sites

(edited)
31 minutes ago, TheTaZe said:

Spike not getting made fun of for half the episode and being pushed around like nothing by the dragons isn't abuse?

I mean, it's about facing your problems and making amends with your enemies.

Edited by Brainstorm
Link to comment
Share on other sites

An overall solid episode; with little to no problems for me as I watched. Gotta say; season 9 is hitting it out of the park for me!

  • Brohoof 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, YoshiAngemon said:

I think you got the wrong guy. Bradley Uppercrust III is a jerk for Pete's sake. PJ on the other hand, had to put up with being bullied by Pete all throughout Goof Troop. When he left for College, though, PJ was more open to the experience in poetry, and getting the Beret Girl in the end. Not to mention, Brad got his comeuppance in the end.

Garble is a more sensitive guy, but when recognized as a hero, he became a trendsetter. Kinda like those jerks in Cloudsdale who called Rainbow Dash "Rainbow Crash!" After she did the Sonic Rainboom, she was seen in a new light, and one that would eventually carry her on her way to being one of the few, the proud, the Wonderbolts! And to me, Fluttershy came off as Serah, AKA, Meanie Miss Farron! She's one of those teachers who's nice to you if you were good, but scare you when you weren't. As quick as Lightning, she can turn from smiling angel to angry ogre just like that! No doubt about it, Fluttershy is a dead ringer for Meanie Miss Farron.
 

 

I think you missed my point. I know Brad was a jerk. I was saying IF Brad actually had a change of heart and became a poet, then he'd be like Garble was in the climax of this episode.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Will Guide said:

I think you missed my point. I know Brad was a jerk. I was saying IF Brad actually had a change of heart and became a poet, then he'd be like Garble was in the climax of this episode.

Sorry, but my comparison of Fluttershy to Serah from FFXIII-2 would be spot on, yes?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, YoshiAngemon said:

Sorry, but my comparison of Fluttershy to Serah from FFXIII-2 would be spot on, yes?

Of course.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Twilight and Starlight said:

I don't like this episode at all Spike gets pushed around and abused pretty much the entire time. And the reason for garble bullying spike is just unacceptable. That being said there were a couple of things I like about this episode I like the Fluttershy and spike interactions and pretty much every Fluttershy scene is great, Fluttershy ws the best part of the episode for me she save it from being the worst of the season. 

But yea overall a very disappointing episode 2nd least favorite with first being uprooted

Actually, Garble's situation is more true to life than you think. Some people will grow up believing bullying others to keep themselves from being bully is actually quite common. What's important is that Garble is maturing and growing out of his unnecessary bullying habbits. So I see no problems with this episode, moral-wise.

  • Brohoof 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • This topic was unpinned and unfeatured

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Join the herd!

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...