Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

S09:E09 - Sweet and Smoky

FlareGun45
Message added by MangoFoalix

This thread will have spoilers in it. BEWARE!!!

How was the episode?  

89 users have voted

1. 1. How was the episode?

• I accept it for how it is without bullying it (loved it)
    • I can kinda accept it to a respect (liked it)
    • Dunno whether or not to accept it (meh)
    • I can accept it, but my friends didn't, so I don't (disliked it)
    • It's different, and therefore it must be bullied (hated it)

(edited)

Title: Sweet and Smoky

Airdate: May 25, 2019 (Discovery Family); May 16, 2019 (Cartoonito, Italian)

Written by: Kim Beyer-Johnson

Synopsis: Spike and Fluttershy go with Smolder to the Dragon Lands to help cheer up her sensitive brother, but when they get there, they find out the dragon eggs aren't hatching.

Watch Live and chat with us on EquestriaTV in the CMC Clubhouse 

Click here for bingo thread:

Edited by FlareGun45
  • Brohoof 3

Spoiler

Considering the writer of this episode wrote NCC last season, I do not expect a great episode, I hope this one was handled better. The synopsis and what I read about the episode, point to an improvement.

Saw the Italian release and enjoyed it a lot - will say more this weekend when I can understand what everyone was saying. :laugh: However, I will say this episode is Fluttershy's best outing this season, and in a season where she's been really good overall says something! :squee:

That curveball the episode threw, however, regarding a certain character... Still has me baffled. :confused: But maybe it will make more sense in English? :laugh:

• This topic was pinned and featured
3 hours ago, FlareGun45 said:

Isn't it great FINALLY having a Spike/Fluttershy episode? I thought due to their interactions in the beginning of the series, they'd have it alot sooner! XD

Agreed. Good thing Rarity and Rainbow didn't get this episode because they stand no chance against Garble.

(edited)
1 hour ago, FirePuppy said:

Agreed. Good thing Rarity and Rainbow didn't get this episode because they stand no chance against Garble.

Rainbow managed to trick Garble to get ahold of Flash Magnus' shield in S7 finale. So your statement of Rainbow standing no change against Garble is false. Or at least, can not be proven. :dry::P

Edited by Will Guide
  • Brohoof 2

Spoiler

I'm starting to notice a pattern on not so easy problems. Although the bully being bullied has already been seen, this one was about Garble's choice to be a bully because of his social circle. Not my favorite subject, but definitely a brave take on the issue.

Having said that, I didn't particularly liked the episode. The humor didn't landed well for me, with the exception of Ember's lines and attitude. The seriousness of Garble's and the eggs problems didn't left for much lighter and silly stuff. At the end I wasn't as entertained as I wanted.

I have also to notice that this is the first time that I didn't like the expressions used. This season has been off the charts on pony faces, and the ones chosen for Fluttershy this episode were too cringey for my taste.

Overall, an OK episode without too much to praise from my perspective.

• Brohoof 1

I'm glad that Spike and Garble made amends in the end, Fluttershy managed to meet Ember, and Garble got to express his true self.

Interesting that Garble was similar to Gilda the Griffin, hiding behind tough personalities to avoid being picked on themselves.

I'm glad that Smolder and Fluttershy was able to talk some sense into Garble and Garble and Spike made amends.

So, Garble is Smolder's Brother! I would be laughing at the irony all day, but for right now, I have to be quiet in the house!

Either way, it's not a huge deal to me personally.

• Brohoof 1

Garble may be a jerk to Spike, but at least he's got hidden depths like being a bongo player.

Also, Firm Fluttershy is awesome!

"For a pony without a horn, she's got a point." Best quote I heard

• Brohoof 3

Given that meeting Spike was what helped Fluttershy open up in the first episode of the entire show, it is a bit weird how little they have interacted throughout the course of the series.  Because of this, I have been wanting to see an episode focusing on the two of them for a while now.  So when I read the episode's synopsis for the first time I was definitely interested in checking it out.

After watching the episode, I can say that I found Sweet and Smoky to be an enjoyable episode

This episode made me realize that I rather like Smolder and Spike's friendship, Fluttershy and Ember made for a surprisingly fun combo, and while I was initially skeptical of the idea of reforming Garble, I thought it was done decently here, and Fluttershy was really great here.

Overall this was a pretty good episode.

• Brohoof 3

It was an alright episode. I think what made episode for me was Fluttershy. 6/10

image.thumb.png.5dce5c8a9664c36340dc281a727e8e0f.png

• Brohoof 4

(edited)

Garble's hidden depths reminds me of Beret Girl from an Extremely Goofy Movie. Only it's like if the jerk, Bradley  in this clip ended up becoming a poet himself like Beret Girl here giving him the burn. Heck, Garble has both of those characters in him. Poet like the girl. Jerk like the guy.

Does anyone else see the connection?

Edited by Will Guide

(edited)

I thought it was an OK episode. When it comes to Garble, All I could think of was this! :laugh:

767620964_dougjudy.png.f42895ad3df1abc863b7b648a897a60f.png

Judy from the show Doug. And it's been a LONG time since I've seen that show.:wau:

Edited by Cirrus.

That was a fun episode. Always nice to see Ember again, along with assertive Fluttershy. Kinda called that Garble would be Smolder's brother ever since she first mentioned him during Spike's molt, though it is nice to see he's not a total jerk... even though he did still want to burn Equestria to the ground if he became Dragon Lord...

All and all, I enjoyed this episode. Plus Fluttershy at the end cuddling the baby dragons was unbelievably adorable! 

• Brohoof 4

Never would I imagined Garble became a hero of the dragons by saving the unborn hatchlings by the power of poetry. 

I have been thinking about it when I finished the episode, but I’ve come to a conclusion that it’s actually pretty good despite its flaws. The positive would be Fluttershy for me. This episode really made me open up my eyes on her more and how she has grown from her shyness to be more assertive. Heck, there’s barely any shy moments from her this episode and seeing her getting pissed at Garble for picking on Spike is the best moment of the episode and maybe the entire series for me. And it’s somewhat of a good payback for his abusive attitude towards spike.

Spike is still his loveable self, of course. Although I don’t really considered this to be his episode but more of Fluttershy’s. Her contribution to telling Garble to go out of his shell and express his passion is nice and fit with her kindness. Plus, lots of quotable lines on her end. And it’s why most of my major gripes in this episode is the return of the Spike-abuse. There’re not as many, but it leaves me with disgust at Garble’s actions and makes it really hard to open up to him even if he is Smoulder’s brother.

The redemption for Garble is something that I can’t really say is shocking. I’m glad he’s opened up to himself more and pretty much saved an entire new generation of Dragons, but I can’t really forgive him for his bullying. I get he doesn’t want to feel alone and left out of his dragon group, but personally, I don’t forgive those kinds of people that easily. Not to mention, he hasn’t made a proper apology to Spike at all in this episode (No, saying his nickname doesn’t count).

Overall, pretty good episode. I could see a lot of debates on whether or not Garble’s redemption was worth it or not.

• Brohoof 3