Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Non-Compete Clause  

111 users have voted

1. 1. Like or Dislike?

• Twilight: "Applejack, Rainbow Dash! If you EVER attempt to sacrifice the safety of OUR students again, you're fired!" (I HATE IT! >__<)
    • Gallus: *stops Dash and AJ's argument inside the school hall* "Y'know, Ponyvillagers once told me you two took part in singing a song called 'Flawless.' Perhaps you should stop arguing, recognize your lust to be better is a problem, and fix your teaching skills so you don't try to drown Yona or get us lost in the woods again." (I dislike it!)
    • Smolder: "Days like today make me wish Neighsay supervised the School." (…meh…)
    • Yona: "Pony trip not bad, after all!" (I like it!)
    • Ocellus: *refuses to rescind her nomination of Rainbow Dash and AJ for Teachers of the Month* (I LOVE IT! <3)

Note #1: This is one of the episodes leaked a few weeks ago. If you watched the episode already, keep all discussion under the spoiler tag until after it finishes officially airing. (Hit the eye icon to trigger it and type within it.) DO NOT LINK OR POST THE LEAKED MATERIAL!

Note #2: Over the last few months, some content originally leaked (e.g., the Student Six's names, episode titles, some summaries) have been officially revealed, and chances are more will, too. But as always, please keep all leaked content not officially revealed yet — and/or if you're unsure if you're revealing too much — under the "spoiler" tag.

Title: Non-Compete Clause

Air Date (U.S./Disc. Family): May 12 at 11:30am

Writer: Kim Beyer-Johnson

Summary:

Zap2It: Applejack and Rainbow Dash take the friendship students on a teamwork learning field trip, and accidentally show the students the opposite of teamwork.

Disc. Fam.: Applejack and Rainbow Dash take the friendship students on a teamwork learning field trip, and accidentally show the students how not to work together.

Episode will be linked after it airs.

CMC Clubhouse on Equestria.tv!

SendVid.

• Brohoof 3

This episode totally plays into both of their competitive attitudes. So it will be interesting to see what they will do with this.

But i hope this will not just be a rehash of the running of the leafs.

• Brohoof 1

4 hours ago, Mesme Rize said:

This episode totally plays into both of their competitive attitudes. So it will be interesting to see what they will do with this.

It'll have elements, ut it won't be Running of the Leafs (wasn't that "leaves" tho :huh: ?) 

9 hours ago, Mesme Rize said:

Spoiler

In my eyes, it seems to show how as bad as competitive attitude can be, going too far in the opposite direction of being too accompanying can also lead to problems if you don't agree on something.

(edited)

The number of "Teacher of the Month" picture frames on the wall is 9, just like this episode number.

Edited by SwitchGuy2018
  • Brohoof 3

OK, can we all agree that that gag about Fluttershy constantly getting "Teacher of the Month," while funny, might have opened up a gaping plothole?  Like, there's NO WAY the school's been open for that many months already, there simply isn't!  I refuse to believe that that much time has passed since the season bucking started. :confused:

• Brohoof 6

(edited)
4 minutes ago, Batbrony said:

OK, can we all agree that that gag about Fluttershy constantly getting "Teacher of the Month," while funny, might have opened up a gaping plothole?  Like, there's NO WAY the school's been open for that many months already, there simply isn't!  I refuse to believe that that much time has passed since the season bucking started. :confused:

They didn't specify how long it took to build the school either, and yet here we are. Let loose and just have fun with it.

Besides, the show's been subtly implying that not all episodes in a single season happened in broadcast order.

Edited by SwitchGuy2018

Ya know what trend I REALLY don't like about Applejack and Rainbow Dash episodes because it is so persistently consistent?  The fact that almost all over their conflicts arise from RAINBOW DASH unnecessarily being an ass about something and starting ridiculous shit.  Oh sure, AJ will eventually get pushed to her limit and do something stupid herself in butting heads with RD, but the only reason she usually ever gets to that point is because RD is being unbearable!  Most of this shit?  Yeah, I'd say 90% of the blame lays on RD for being a complete twat.

Also, was that whistling when you're scared bit a... a reference to "The King and I"?  Cause if so, that's a random ass reference.  Don't get me wrong, overall I'm enjoying this episode a lot so far, I just think RD is being completely ridiculous for the sake of making any of this conflict even happen at all.

• Brohoof 9

During the canoeing scene, why didn’t they have some kind of obstacle chasing them from behind? It would have helped proved that there are times when you NEED to go fast not slow. That way, it would be a nice contrast when A.J. slow and steady built shed still stands while Rainbow’s quick and flimsy shed falls. And the contrast would have been balanced. Wouldn’t you agree? 

It’s when they get to the nature walk and Rainbow and A.J. start insisting to do the other pony’s suggestion that the episode shows something a bit new. While being demanding can be a bad thing (My way or no way), being too accommodating can be just as bad if you don’t agree on something and it doesn’t get you anywhere.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

*growl* You'd think for ONE SECOND that chasing some stupid canoeing record would be a stupid idea, but Dash is so obsessed with getting Teacher of this month that she's sacrificing the safety of their STUDENTS (and risking an international relations' fallout). Dash was reckless, stupid, and completely unqualified of her position! Yona could've drowned, for Celestia's sake!

AJ, RD, you two are teachers trying to teach friendship! This isn't Fall Weather Friends; stop being out-of-character idiots and show that you have some maturity! :angry:

Edited by Dark Qiviut
  • Brohoof 6

Finally another Appledash episode!  It's been 7 years since the first and only time Applejack and Rainbow Dash had an episode focusing on them together in the show  The closest thing we got would have been Queen of Clubs from the EQG digital series, which only helped me to realize how much I have missed seeing their rivalry.

With all that out of the way, what did I think of the episode?  Well I thought that it was pretty good.  Applejack and Rainbow Dash's rivalry is as fun as ever, and I am still enjoying the direction the show decided to take with the friendship school.

• Brohoof 1

Sheesh! Somepony needs to remind Applejack and Rainbow to not argue and compete against each other in a team.

Overall, it was a good episode with a great moral behind it. Take note while playing Matchmaking in video games as teamwork is the key to success.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)
16 minutes ago, cmarston1 said:

Applejack and Rainbow Dash's rivalry is as fun as ever

You know as strange as it sounds, I have to agree with you on that. Maybe it's the fact that Ashleigh's such a good actress that she can play off herself so well, maybe it's the smartly written duel-sidedness each has to the argument (well besides that little bite-acuda scene, probably not a good idea when lives are at stake) or maybe it's that the students made such great straight-men for the rivalry to play off of, whatever the reason it made it quite entertaining to watch.

Edited by KH7672
  • Brohoof 1

Well... this problem seems convoluted and avoidable.

My only issue with some of these "student-centered" episodes so far (granted there haven't been many of them, but I'm going off of what we've seen) is that a lot of the problems have still centered around lessons that the Mane 6 need to learn, not the students themselves.  This bugs me for two reasons: (1) while I know the Mane 6 have a lot to learn about being teachers, they've matured enough by this point that it seems like it'd be more gratifying seeing them share their wisdom and experiences with others as opposed to learn lessons that it seems like they've learned before or should have, and (2) having the students not be the center of the lessons being learned makes it easy for them to come off as Mary Sue-ish or Gary Stu-ish.  I still like them a lot, but I wish they were learning more than seemingly imparting the lessons themselves that the teachers are learning.  Here, I'm not even sure if RD and AJ took this lesson to heart since the episode ended with them bickering just like before.  Just doesn't feel like any growth we want to see is happening when the teachers are kind of learning lessons they should know by now, and the students are barely changing at all from episode to episode since they already seem to get along perfectly fine and don't ever seem to butt heads that much as a group.  Hoping this changes going forward, but I don't know if it will.

P.S. Ya know what's also weirding me out?  The phrase "every creature."  It just sounds weird, like if someone were saying, "Come on, every person!"  I get what they're going for since everypony has been the old staple to this point, but why can't they just say everyone or everybody instead?  Every creature just sounds odd.

• Brohoof 7

Ooh, how much I wished Twilight took over their field trip. Dash and AJ were so irresponsible that they don't deserve to lead on the trip.

And Ocellus nominating Dash and AJ for Teacher of the Month was the perfect consequence for them. For the rest of the month, they'll have to think about how stupid they behaved and worry whether it'll be permanently displayed on the wall or not. XD

• Brohoof 7

• This topic was featured and pinned
(edited)

How old are Applejack and Rainbow Dash supposed to be exactly? 

I ask this because they were the ones acting like children in this episode. :huh:

Edited by Sparklefan1234
  • Brohoof 11

(edited)

Imma just come right out and say it no title no writer cause who cares I HATED this episode. I was PROMISED a season 8 episode not a BAD season 1 episode with season 8 characters.  

Let's talk about the moral which is TERRIBLE. Rainbow Dash and Applejack screwed EVERYTHING UP they couldn't build a shed, they ALMOST GOT THE STUDENTS KILLED, almost got themselves killed, got lost in the forest, decided to build a bridge across the way when 5 out of the 8 of them can fly. That is a lot of shit wrong, but who cares? Cartoon slapstick right? Well I wouldn't either if it wasn't for the ending of this thing.

So apparently RD and AJ think being teacher of the month is worth all this and don't realize it's not until their own lives are in danger. I am sorry but this is childish AF, why do they still care about outdoing each other? It is season 8! This should not be a thing anymore! This is a trope that should be left dead and forgotten in the dark abyss of season 1 WHERE IT BELONGS please stop bringing it back. 

Even with such a hateable concept I was still willing to not give this episode a complete thrashing if after all this AJ and RD DID NOT get teacher of the month. Completely reasonable right? Well... apparently the writer does not share that sentiment cause THEY STILL GOT IT! Happy times right? All is good in the world! Yeah sure... if you forget that there were times where all their lives were in actual danger. So basically what this episode is telling me is that you can screw up as horribly as possible almost get the ppl around you killed but you will still get what you want... REALLY?

And the episode took it a step further cause not only did it still give RD and AJ something that they DID NOT DESERVE but they spun it as. "Oh they were showing us WHAT NOT TO DO!" Nice cop out reeeeeeal nice fucking cop out there. Not AJ and RD realizing that teamwork and getting things done properly is more important and beneficial to everyone than selfish desires. If you think that was actually the moral, It's not, that was thrown out the window when RD and AJ still got their meaningless teacher of the month status that will never be brought up or referenced again after this episode.

COMPLETE HOT TRASH 4/10 

Edited by Zantetsuken
  • Brohoof 2

I already watched it when it was leaked, and my thoughts remain the same. This episode is crap.

AJ and Rainbow Dash were completely OOC here, especially the latter for putting her focus on winning Teacher of the Month over the Student Six's safety while rowing. Thank God FIM's a piece of fiction, because had it be real-life, the school and Twilight might've had their plots sued for negligence.

This episode features easily my bottom moment of the season: Yona nearly drowning. You'd think for a second that Dash and AJ would stop acting competitive with each other, grow the fuck up, and learn to be teachers. Instead, they continue to qualify one of Neighsay's strongest criticisms of the School: AJ and RD act completely unqualified. You two, this isn't Fall Weather Friends; at least you two weren't that close at the time, and the stakes were much lower. Had they remained competent and in character, that canoeing accident wouldn't have happened, and Yona wouldn't have to have her life saved.

The dialogue itself is lousy. Clunky, forced, and painfully unfunny.

To make it worse, this episode feels a lot like filler. After thy learned how their competitive behavior got in the way, they started arguing again, and it was all back to square one.

The only saving graces here are Twilight calling Dash and AJ out for their shit (and threatening to take over the field trip after Yona nearly drowned) and Dash and AJ getting nominated for TotM — them risking that reward will make them think about how stupid they behaved on the trip.

Overall, a major thumbs down.

• Brohoof 15

If you have to drag established characters through the mud to make new characters look good, you’re just gonna make me hate the new characters more instead 

• Brohoof 10