Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Tulpa Discussion Thread V1.2

Rizoel & Crepuscule

thank you for the reply Niko...but umm...what i was more concerned about was the long term effects (i am talking of multiple decades) that creating a tulpa may have upon your mind. I am aware they can be killed off..but even then I feel you would have to be careful...people seem to get very attached to these beings and it worries me that they might get so attached that destroying them would be unthinkable, as if they were destroying a loved one...

Also my other points were the possible dangers that one could incur upon themselves if they tried to create a tulpa when their mind was already unstable due to a psychological condition...

and my other problem is that there is no objective research to form my opinions on..it is all from experiences and guides...which are not particularly helpful, as it is a different experience for everyone

do not mistake me, i have nothing against tulpa's or people who create them, I just have a few problems with the process...and also with the freudian diagram shown on the www.tulpa.info site.

which explains that the tulpa is based primarily within your 'id'...which (if one is to believe Freud's work) controls your libido, desires..your self-preservation instinct and other similar things and forming something there just seems fraught with possible dangers.

1: I do not like Freud's "work." It smells fishy to me, and wrong.

2: If anyone is mentally unstable, bipolar, depressed, or any mental illness that requires you to be on medication (regardless if your taking them or not {I think I misused the word regardless}) they should NOT try a Tulpa.

3: What is mental stability even really? We know very little about the mind in general. Its a mysterious thing.

4: All you really are doing is learning to communicate with your subconscious. That is something people have been doing for ages. The differences is that you are projecting your subconscious into a hallucination.

5: Because you are looking at your subconscious, you are looking at your real self. It will always have the traits of your subconscious, you can't change who you are inside. You can paint the outer shell, but you can not change the ugly thing inside (if its ugly). That being said, unless you are prepared to face yourself, do not try this. One should be fully comfortable with yourself and spend the time in self discovery beforehand. The more you know about who you really are, the less of a shock your subconscious is. Self discovery and understand yourself is a hard thing. I have a bit of a natural knack at picking it out in myself and other people, but its still hard. facing yourself sucks.

Basically facing yourself is the crystal caves in star wars, where you have to face yourself and your worst nightmares to gain your lightsaber crystal. Not fun.

1: I do not like Freud's "work." It smells fishy to me, and wrong.

2: If anyone is mentally unstable, bipolar, depressed, or any mental illness that requires you to be on medication (regardless if your taking them or not {I think I misused the word regardless}) they should NOT try a Tulpa.

3: What is mental stability even really? We know very little about the mind in general. Its a mysterious thing.

4: All you really are doing is learning to communicate with your subconscious. That is something people have been doing for ages. The differences is that you are projecting your subconscious into a hallucination.

5: Because you are looking at your subconscious, you are looking at your real self. It will always have the traits of your subconscious, you can't change who you are inside. You can paint the outer shell, but you can not change the ugly thing inside (if its ugly). That being said, unless you are prepared to face yourself, do not try this. One should be fully comfortable with yourself and spend the time in self discovery beforehand. The more you know about who you really are, the less of a shock your subconscious is. Self discovery and understand yourself is a hard thing. I have a bit of a natural knack at picking it out in myself and other people, but its still hard. facing yourself sucks.

Basically facing yourself is the crystal caves in star wars, where you have to face yourself and your worst nightmares to gain your lightsaber crystal. Not fun.

thank you for the reply Mindrop. you have answered my concerns. and i agree with you for freud's work, but i felt i had to use it as that is the only psychological viewpoint that even seemed to mention the tulpae phenomenon.

i agree that people with psychological conditions should not attempt to create one, but how are we to stop it?

and a stable mind i feel is most likely up for debate, however the general consensus is a mind that is able to show empathy, has some sort of moral compass, it can make rational decisions and is able to control your impulses.

• Brohoof 1

thank you for the reply Mindrop. you have answered my concerns. and i agree with you for freud's work, but i felt i had to use it as that is the only psychological viewpoint that even seemed to mention the tulpae phenomenon.

i agree that people with psychological conditions should not attempt to create one, but how are we to stop it?

and a stable mind i feel is most likely up for debate, however the general consensus is a mind that is able to show empathy, has some sort of moral compass, it can make rational decisions and is able to control your impulses.

Well, we can't really stop people with psychological illnesses or under psychological medication try and create one, but nor are we responsible of the consequences they might bring.

And as a small note, I don't really believe that your tulpa is your real self, hidden in your subconcious. I just believe it is the projection of the subconcious, as it was being taught different personality traits, morality and all that other stuff through tulpaforcing, eventually reaching a point where it can communicate with you.

thank you for the reply Mindrop. you have answered my concerns. and i agree with you for freud's work, but i felt i had to use it as that is the only psychological viewpoint that even seemed to mention the tulpae phenomenon. i agree that people with psychological conditions should not attempt to create one, but how are we to stop it? and a stable mind i feel is most likely up for debate, however the general consensus is a mind that is able to show empathy, has some sort of moral compass, it can make rational decisions and is able to control your impulses.

I agree on Your view of a stable mind.

Unfortunately, we can not stop people who are unstable from trying, though I would hope their instability would cause them to utterly fail because of the difficulty .

Well, we can't really stop people with psychological illnesses or under psychological medication try and create one, but nor are we responsible of the consequences they might bring. And as a small note, I don't really believe that your tulpa is your real self, hidden in your subconcious. I just believe it is the projection of the subconcious, as it was being taught different personality traits, morality and all that other stuff through tulpaforcing, eventually reaching a point where it can communicate with you.

Your subconscious cant be changed easily, especially through repeating traits. That would take a level of work that I am not sure if it is possible to change your subconscious. Your subconscious is like a mirror, but you do not see yourself as you view yourself, instead properties and traits you never knew you had come out and can often frighten you. Humans avoid their subconscious because it is us, but no us at the same time. You can learn to communicate to your subconscious, without the use of a helusination, like a tulpa. That form does not have you shape triats, you just learn to focus in and tap into that section of your mind. Our minds fabricate a lot to make sense of the world. We see only a small part of the big picture God has laid out. Our subconscious is the part of the mind that remains grounded, or else we would be lost to a total delusional world.

The tulpa is not dangerous because it is already there. The essence of ourselves can not be changed that easily, through the forcing. The forcing is a method to get us to connect with our subconscious enough to begin communication. Gaining communication with yourself has many benefits as you can truly begin to learn who you are. However, our perceptions of ourselves will NOT match up with our subconscious and is often disconcerting.

I would totally make a Heavy Weapons Guy tulpa. It looks ike a fun guy to hang out with.

Or a Pinkie Pie tulpa to cheer me up in those boring mondays.

• Brohoof 1

I would totally make a Heavy Weapons Guy tulpa. It looks ike a fun guy to hang out with.

Or a Pinkie Pie tulpa to cheer me up in those boring mondays.

You can make a tulpa in the image of the character, but it will NOT have the same personality of the character unless your subconscious matches the character's personality. You are learning to converse with your subconscious and then project it into a forced helucination.

You can make a tulpa in the image of the character, but it will NOT have the same personality of the character unless your subconscious matches the character's personality. You are learning to converse with your subconscious and then project it into a forced helucination.

I already talk to myself and create different personalities. I don't know why, but I find it fun and it's something I love to do when I am alone.

And for some reason I start talking to myself in English (My mother tongue is Spanish)

• Brohoof 1

Just wanna say, there's really no evidence that things will turn out badly if somebody with mental disorders tries to create a tulpa. Just like "normal" people with tulpa, there's been no official studies on the subject. We just don't really know yet.

Also, Mindrop, you can create a personality based on a character's. That's fine. The problem arises when one expects them to be EXACTLY like that other character, and stay that way. That may be forcing them into a personality they don't fully want.

I've been making Pinkie Pie as a tulpa, if you remember. I based her personality off the show Pinkie, and now I'm letting her take it wherever. She seems to have no issues with it at all, because I don't expect her to turn out like the show version.

Anyway, how are y'all tulpa coming along? Pinkie has been giving me more emotional responses/head pressures recently. It's wonderful. :3 We're working on form and touch and I'm actually finding it rather easy and fun. For 40 minutes this morning, I did nothing but pet her, scratch behind her ears, stroke her face, etc, and chat with her. It was wonderful, really.

Just wanna say, there's really no evidence that things will turn out badly if somebody with mental disorders tries to create a tulpa. Just like "normal" people with tulpa, there's been no official studies on the subject. We just don't really know yet.

Also, Mindrop, you can create a personality based on a character's. That's fine. The problem arises when one expects them to be EXACTLY like that other character, and stay that way. That may be forcing them into a personality they don't fully want.

I've been making Pinkie Pie as a tulpa, if you remember. I based her personality off the show Pinkie, and now I'm letting her take it wherever. She seems to have no issues with it at all, because I don't expect her to turn out like the show version.

Anyway, how are y'all tulpa coming along? Pinkie has been giving me more emotional responses/head pressures recently. It's wonderful. :3 We're working on form and touch and I'm actually finding it rather easy and fun. For 40 minutes this morning, I did nothing but pet her, scratch behind her ears, stroke her face, etc, and chat with her. It was wonderful, really.

I'm about 3-5 hours into mine. I havn't gotten many head pressures, but I figure its only because I'm not that far in, and something always comes up directing my attention away from it when I get about 30 minutes in. Although I hope I'll be able to hold longer sessions soon. I really want my tulpa to turn out perfect! :)

I heard about this from a friend before, I found it interesting and unqie but didn't believe it was possible. The issue is that my mind already crazy as it is. Having it unleashed may have a..... odd reaction to me.

Sorry, I just have to jump in here. You have repeatedly tried scaring people by implying that they somehow feed on your energy, eventually withering you away or take over your body without the possibility of gaining it back, added with your very vague responses and refusing to actually tell why you believe the way you believe.

I would like to believe you are being serious, but I smell something fishy here.

Believe me, I'm being dead serious. The reason my responses are vague is because the true answer is... personal. I'm just not quite ready to tell people yet. Sorry for the whole thing.

Believe me, I'm being dead serious. The reason my responses are vague is because the true answer is... personal. I'm just not quite ready to tell people yet. Sorry for the whole thing.

True Answer? Sorry, but I call bs on your entire story. Unless you actually show some proof or tell what happened, I have no reason to believe you.

And as for people worrying about their craziness creating an insane tulpa, don't worry. There is still no proof that they can really turn out that badly, regardless of the person's mental state. Even if it's a projection of one's subconcious, I don't believe anyone is that crazy deep in their subconcious.

(edited)

The decision to Google this "tulpa" thing I keep hearing 'round /mlp/ has just eaten away 7 hours of my night. Thanks a lot, search engines.

Then again, it does sound really interesting. I've read a lot of guides and checked out the tulpa.info forums, and this definitely sounds like something I'd like to try if I somehow have the opportunity. I can imagine I'll get interrupted a lot if I try this on a normal day, so I guess I'll have to do it at night exclusively when I'm the only one awake...

Does anyone know if it's necessary to actually speak out loud to your tulpa during the early stages? It would probably be a bitch to keep track of, but surely it must be possible. The thing is, I'm incredibly shy around other people for some reason, and even if this is myself I'm talking to it will still feel pretty awkward. It would be much easier talking to something I can physically see isn't a human. :P

Edited by Shaoni

The decision to Google this "tulpa" thing I keep hearing 'round /mlp/ has just eaten away 7 hours of my night. Thanks a lot, search engines.

Then again, it does sound really interesting. I've read a lot of guides and checked out the tulpa.info forums, and this definitely sounds like something I'd like to try if I somehow have the opportunity. I can imagine I'll get interrupted a lot if I try this on a normal day, so I guess I'll have to do it at night exclusively when I'm the only one awake...

Does anyone know if it's necessary to actually speak out loud to your tulpa during the early stages? It would probably be a bitch to keep track of, but surely it must be possible. The thing is, I'm incredibly shy around other people for some reason, and even if this is myself I'm talking to it will still feel pretty awkward. It would be much easier talking to something I can physically see isn't a human. :P

When I started, I didn't narrate out loud. It felt awkward and stuff even with no one around me. But once I got used to doing it, I do it all the time now.

When I started, I didn't narrate out loud. It felt awkward and stuff even with no one around me. But once I got used to doing it, I do it all the time now.

Oh, I see. I'll probably start like that, then. Hopefully it'll be easier later on when I get used to the idea.

• Brohoof 1

Whelp, after having very little quiet free time over the last month and a half, I finally have some time to tulpaforce! :D

I swear, my freaking cousins, I thought they would never leave. http://mlpforums.com/public/style_emoticons/default/dry.png

Anyway, now that I have sometime to myself other than the middle of the night, I'm going to get into this again. Of course, now that I have had time to look over the work I had done, I find it subpar and in need of serious reworking. Aw well, nothing like starting from scratch after a 50 day hiatus, am I right? It's probably for the best anyway. -_-

My thoughts after reading the very first post:

I wish I could make a Pinkie Pie tulpa, but it would probably turn out as an imaginary friend.

Feed my thoughts to a cat.

Oh well, that's a fact of my imagination...

But who knows?

Got my first actual vocal response last night which I knew I wasn't parroting :D Although it sounds like gibberish and is faint, I could hear a distinct voice. Oddly enough, I could only hear it when using Fede's tones. Tonight I'm gonna try fleshing out more of Tavi, but boy is it hard to visualize.

Got my first actual vocal response last night which I knew I wasn't parroting :D Although it sounds like gibberish and is faint, I could hear a distinct voice. Oddly enough, I could only hear it when using Fede's tones. Tonight I'm gonna try fleshing out more of Tavi, but boy is it hard to visualize.

I know that feeling all too well.

Although I have been getting more and more vocal responses. My Tulpa still likes to speak without using her voice most of the time.

• Brohoof 1

There we are, thirty traits for me to work off of. The list is not perfect by any means, but I don't want to constraint my tulpa's growth through the use of a definite and final "perfect" list.

1. considerate

2. genuine

3. friendly

4. curious

5. energetic

6. faithful

7. ambitious

8. merry

9. endearing

10. humorous

11. affectionate

12. clever

13. fun

14. organized

15. pleasant

16. sensitive

17. tolerant

18. witty

19. understanding

20. tender

21. empathetic

22. helpful

23. silly

24. fun-loving

25. honest

26. forgiving

27. satirical

28. adventurous

29. imaginative

30. jocular

Oh, I see. I'll probably start like that, then. Hopefully it'll be easier later on when I get used to the idea.

You can speak to your tulpa out loud or in your head, it doesn't really matter(or get a bluetooth on your ear and you can speak out loud all the time :D ). But when I've talked to Dante about it, he liked it more when I talked to him out loud, even if it was just a whisper. It could help developing your tulpa faster, but who knows?

But anyway, good luck with your tulpa! :)

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I guess I'm pretty lucky - I find it pretty easy to visualize! I dunno why, guess everybody's different... But this morning, I just spent an hour imagining Pinkie was sitting in front of me and petting her, scratching her ears, feeling her face, etc, while I was chatting with her. It was wonderful. :3 Definitely gonna have fun with visualization!

EDIT: DERP. It seems I can't remember when I actually visit this place. I already posted about this... *facepalm* Anyway, yeah, visualization isn't too difficult for me.

Edited by Captain Nemo

Yes, I failed to state that properly. Thank you for clarifying that.

And I can't start until after the 9th. my 14-18 hours of school a day leave me barely enough time to eat and sleep.

(edited)

Well, I think that my tulpa's personality is pretty much cemented, and it's definitely NOT the Celestia from the show. However, she is a lot more playful. And all my experiences with her have been nothing but entertaining.

I'm starting to see her silhouette in my eyesight, but only in my peripheral vision. I'm actually thankful her mane is constantly moving, because it provides something for my eyes to track.

EDIT: I also found out why her singing voice has been sounding rather familiar. I used to listen to this song a lot, and I guess voice subconsciously inspired me.

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=cObjbhXw2Vw

Edited by Brisineo
  • Brohoof 1

I have to say I'm pretty surprised at some of the stories in this thread. It's not even 2 months old and a few of you claim to have more or less fully tulpae already. :blink: Dedication is clearly the way. ~

I'm not in doubt that it would be awesome if I managed to get this working, but I still have trouble imagining how I would talk to something only I can see without it looking rather, uh, suspicious.