Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Roleplay World Update Thread - Character Sheets

Jeric
Message added by Jeric

Took sheets down while I made some small change to the database organization. ETA 30 mins

Sheets are back up with a new shiny url. 

1 hour ago, Lektra Bolt said:

Each spell? Can't really predict how many of them characters will have, especially the inevitable Alicorns that I'm sure are coming. One of my character has four spells, some will have more

Maybe Age should be the same kind of editor as Likes/Dislikes and Spells expanded to Abilities and made a full editor since some characters aren't magic users but say have being strong as an ability or like various forms of cooking? Age doesn't need more than a couple of sentences at max, even on characters that need an explanation, but there's no need to limit Abilities to three for Everfree

Another thing I noticed is you guys don't have a way to edit the 'Notify of replies' setting after the initial posting. I thought I'd enable it later, but it's just gone now :wau:

(Sorry if this is off topic, you guys don't have a Feedback thread on this) 

For age I think the preferable option would be to make it optional and that way if it’s a strange situation where someone can’t enter a number as a value they can use the Appearance Edit Box. Or a secondary box below it for textual description. Some of these fields staff may need for .... um .... filtering purposes for larger event driven roleplays.  ;)

I want to keep spells somewhat confined for now until I figure out a way to present it. We have a few nifty ideas. I can tell you that the Canon Characters absolutely will be using single spell fields, but they have a slightly different sheet anyway, as will the VTT sheets. 

This is kinda being used as a General Feedback thread. I am not sure why IPS built notifications as a one time setting. There may be a configuration I missed 

(edited)
45 minutes ago, Jeric said:

For age I think the preferable option would be to make it optional and that way if it’s a strange situation where someone can’t enter a number as a value they can use the Appearance Edit Box. Or a secondary box below it for textual description. Some of these fields staff may need for .... um .... filtering purposes for larger event driven roleplays.  ;)

Appearance Edit box to include as words and overall optional? That might work, or a text field below also as you said. I was hoping like maybe allow a couple of lines like the way that Likes and Dislikes is done. For example my character Chrissy is supposed to be the same age as Chrysalis, but we don't know how old she is in the show. I want to say 'same age as Chrysalis', but that won't fit. There's many characters that people don't really know an age but probably would want to write a couple of lines for Age 🤔

Lektra is generally the same age as the Mane 6, but not always and it sometimes changes with the RP. I'd really like to be able to write two lines for Age in this case, like it was allowed in the old sheets

Oh wow event driven RPs! Definitely looking forward to this! :D

I want to keep spells somewhat confined for now until I figure out a way to present it. We have a few nifty ideas. I can tell you that the Canon Characters absolutely will be using single spell fields, but they have a slightly different sheet anyway, as will the VTT sheets. 

Single spell fields for canon definitely a good idea! For Everfree which is a bit more open, it might be preferable to just have that as a full text editor. As of now I just wrote to look on the background, since the one character I have converted has 4 and each has to be explained what it does. It won't fit into the Spells field as is. Some characters have just Abilities and its not actually spells, like different types of cooking recipes. It may be preferable to change the name of that field to Abilities in general, to allow characters who aren't magic users to list what they can do with their craft. A full text editor might be preferable in this case 🤔

VTT sheets

:wau: OH is this a new upcoming feature?

Oh and notifications is just me being stupid. Following a character page is a thing lol

Though might be hard to post any with character comments in a moderator queue 🤔

Edited by Lektra Bolt

Oh um, sorry for the one more thing 😳

Would it be ok to add one more species to the list? Equestria Girls Human, just simply Human? Some players run human RPs here on the forums

Also an Anthro species? Also known as "furry" or that effect. This would be complicated since you can make an anthro of anything really, so the best way to do this would be to just say Anthro as a species and then use description to say what kind

Plesse consider these?

41 minutes ago, Lektra Bolt said:

Oh um, sorry for the one more thing 😳

Would it be ok to add one more species to the list? Equestria Girls Human, just simply Human? Some players run human RPs here on the forums

Also an Anthro species? Also known as "furry" or that effect. This would be complicated since you can make an anthro of anything really, so the best way to do this would be to just say Anthro as a species and then use description to say what kind

Plesse consider these?

Definately EqG Human, and I think Anthro might be a good compromise for covering all the creatures from the Movie (for example Capper).

I wonder about having 'Creature' in there to cover a range as well, like Chimeras, Sirens, and the like? Rather than needing to specify each and every instance. Technically the series does throw the word 'Monster' about for these, but like Fluttershy I think that might be a touch pejorative. ;)

1 minute ago, Fhaolan said:

Definately EqG Human, and I think Anthro might be a good compromise for covering all the creatures from the Movie (for example Capper).

I wonder about having 'Creature' in there to cover a range as well, like Chimeras, Sirens, and the like? Rather than needing to specify each and every instance. Technically the series does throw the word 'Monster' about for these, but like Fluttershy I think that might be a touch pejorative. ;)

Yes yes! Thank you! We need these 😉

Definitely Creature or Monster for the wide and far reaching amount of others that would otherwise be too long a list, to the same effect. Just say it's a monster or creature, and use description and picture to say what species

I'm making little tweaks here and there. There is now something that will show if a character sheet is currently being worked on or actually done. I removed the character image label, second magic spell field. 

4 hours ago, Vulcan said:

I dunno if im saying this right, but is there a way to turn the names on the "Friends" section into hyperlinks to their Character page? 

How about making that section into Friends and Family with the same functionality as Vulcan suggested? 🤔

I just tried to play with that idea, and it hits a wall for two reasons, mostly due to general database limitations, as well as built in limitations with how fields can be set up with IPB. Multiple datatypes is not really permitted (for obvious reasons), and the URL datatyple only allows you to enter a URL without displaying it as text so you would have a list that looks like 

https://mlpforums.com/roleplay-characters-sheets/original-characters/terse-tranquility-r4/

https://mlpforums.com/roleplay-characters-sheets/original-characters/terse-tranquility-r4/

instead of

Character 1

Character 1

Character 1

Character 1

Though there is a way around this, it would be basically creating a brand new datatype within IPB that won't break when we update the software. I'll toss this under "wish list" 

(edited)

What about just making this field into a full text area and letting people enter it manually? I already did this in the Key Moments section for Lektra, since I consider having family important

If you'd like to get some ideas, I've gone ahead and added more fields to mine. Powers/Abilities inside Background, Friends and Family as well as some character creation background Character Trivia inside Key Moments. I consider these necessary, and it actually looks pretty neat and tidy

But these are unofficial additions, some mimicking fields and functions that used to be available in the old sheets

So so far we have ideas for official changes:

Spells into a full text field or a line by line like Likes/Dislikes. Allow unlimited space

Allow a sentence or two for Age, or a clarification field beneath age of some sort

Anthro, Creature, and Equestria Girls Human for species

Friends into a full text field, which allows creating links manually with the tools already available. Rename to Friends and Family

Edited by Lektra Bolt

32 minutes ago, Lektra Bolt said:

What about just making this field into a full text area and letting people enter it manually? I already did this in the Key Moments section for Lektra, since I consider having family important

That is how the Friends section already is for OC Characters

33 minutes ago, Lektra Bolt said:

Allow a sentence or two for Age, or a clarification field beneath age of some sort

This was increased to 10 characters. Anything more can be communicated easily within the Appearance Block 

34 minutes ago, Lektra Bolt said:

Spells into a full text field or a line by line like Likes/Dislikes. Allow unlimited space

For now I can't do that because of where I am going with these fields later. 

35 minutes ago, Lektra Bolt said:

Anthro, Creature

These aren't species though. 

36 minutes ago, Lektra Bolt said:

Human

Sure! This is being done the next time I am in the DB. 

(edited)
15 minutes ago, Jeric said:

That is how the Friends section already is for OC Characters

It is? Are you sure? Hasn't changed for me 🤔

I mean like making it a full text editor like say, Backstory to allow people to make the links themselves. I've already created this inside the Key Moments using the tools available 🙂

I can move it whenever. It all looks really neat and tidy

Screenshot_20190625-155841_Dolphin.thumb.jpg.9e04333b740c794c4090a04bf9a9f530.jpg

This was increased to 10 characters. Anything more can be communicated easily within the Appearance Block 

Woot ty

For now I can't do that because of where I am going with these fields later. 

👌🏻

Well you know, so you aren't adding like two thousand species variants of upright animals and monsters. Anthro furry is definitely needed. It's more of a catch all request, really 🤷🏻‍♀️

Sure! This is being done the next time I am in the DB. 

Woot thanks! Look forward to it

3 minutes ago, Goat-kun said:

I'm confused. Is this for tea parties or is this gonna be used for adventures too cause that ain't gonna work?

Don't worry. If you are not a Role Player, this forum change doesn't affect you at all, until you make characters for forum events. Jeric said these will be used for forum events too

Edited by Lektra Bolt

1 minute ago, Lektra Bolt said:

Don't worry. If you are not a Role Player, this forum change doesn't affect you at all, until you make characters for forum events. Jeric said these will be used for forum events too

Yes, but if I wanted to make one I'd need to start a blog :P

Just now, Goat-kun said:

Yes, but if I wanted to make one I'd need to start a blog :P

Oh no, the sheets are added by going to the Plus at the top or accessing the database directly and adding there. I guess if you wanted to make a collection post a blog might work?

13 minutes ago, Goat-kun said:

I'm confused. Is this for tea parties or is this gonna be used for adventures too cause that ain't gonna work?

Whatever they want to do in RP really. It is forum based RP that is heavily influenced on back and forth storytelling that rolls, maps, and stats. 

Now, I have a feeling you were talking about the traditional character sheets centered around a full tabletop style RP system. That is coming, complete with an open source VTT (screw Roll20! I need DM's to have control) and full character sheets based on specific systems (D&D, Ponyfinder/Pathfinder to start, along with a blank system). That's my baby and I have been laying the groundwork for that in the system as I go along. You made a comment in my suggestions thread about a full RP system, with a legit rule book. I intend to make you my barometer on whether it is usable when it comes out. 

(edited)
43 minutes ago, Jeric said:

There still probably should be "other species" or something similar for the more rare types like for example a cat-pony or Draconequees (or however it's written.), since you can't really predict all the possible creatures someone may want to play as...Until of course you make a rule that it has to be a Canon-species or something, which wouldn't really be a good thing in my opinion.

Edited by Catpone Cerberus

22 minutes ago, Catpone Cerberus said:

There still probably should be "other species" or something similar for the more rare types like for example a cat-pony or Draconequees (or however it's written.), since you can't really predict all the possible creatures someone may want to play as...Until of course you make a rule that it has to be a Canon-species or something, which wouldn't really be a good thing in my opinion.

For now creating an "Other" option and adding a box under is a better solution. Human and Abyssinian was added.

• Brohoof 1

2 minutes ago, Jeric said:

For now creating an Other and adding a box under is a better solution. I am going to add Abyssinians if it isn't there since we have a species name for Capper

Which is valid. And if it's checked on a regular basis and the same 'Other' gets used a significant number of times (like say... Deer, since I know there's a number of Deer RP'ers.) it can be added to the normal species list after-the-fact. Given the Movie, prior Generation, and inter-dimensional possibilities, it's not going to be possible to list *every* species without getting a ridiculous length drop-down. :)

Someone mentioned family. For that I have a slightly different solution I am considering. For now I will add a basic field like the Friends one. 

• Brohoof 1

• The topic was unfeatured

I VERY MUCH like the addition of which dimension a character is form, but might be a good idea to make it optional somehow. Sometimes someone might not know, or might want to create a non MLP character sheet for a non MLP RP here on the forum

Maybe a None option for generation? Or Other with a write in for such characters?

🤔

I VERY MUCH like the addition of which dimension a character is form, but might be a good idea to make it optional somehow. Sometimes someone might not know, or might want to create a non MLP character sheet for a non MLP RP here on the forum

Maybe a None option for generation? Or Other with a write in for such characters?

🤔

Mayyyyybe ;)

Funny you should say that .... wait. 

tenor.gif?itemid=11259483

But maybe a hint. 

Spoiler

star-wars_1024.jpg

N3DS_PokemonSuperMysteryDungeon_MainIllu

my-hero-academia-00.jpg?q=75&w=800&cbr=1my-hero-academia-00.jpg?q=75&w=800&cbr=148e35398.0.jpg

Steven_Universe-all_characters-900x506.j

uklipihkjjgbhpotqkqu.png

FYI I am creating a better organizational structure so the sheets will be down for about 30 minutes 

• Brohoof 1

• The title was changed to Roleplay World Update Thread - Character Sheets Down
  • The topic was featured

And they are up. I'm going to use the message at the top to communicate when I make changes and what they are

• The title was changed to Roleplay World Update Thread - Character Sheets