Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Doctor whooves game project. (Help wanted)

Dabmanz

I have decided to make a mlp game involving Doctor whooves the example project has alot of placeholders at the moment if anyone wants to work on a story that is fine also.

Note the current placeholder for Doctor Whooves is Luna because it is a placeholder that I thought was easy on the eyes.

Doctor whooves project.exe

• Brohoof 3

6 hours ago, SparkleSan79 said:

Is it made with RPG Maker VX/Ace?  If so, I can't wait to download it!!!  :D

It is actually made with gamemaker 8.1 even though it is an older engine I have found it better than gamemaker studio if I am just making it for windows.

The other download was just to test the mechanics here is one for the really short Demo.

This Demo is called Timeturner a Doctor in Time the game is a working title. :)

Edit had to quickly take it down because I had to fix a small bug but it is back now. 

Timeturner a Doctor in time.exe

Edited by Dabmanz
Bug fix
  • Brohoof 1

40 minutes ago, Totally Nyx said:

@Dabmanz Since this is a digital MLP game you're making, I'm moving this over to Pony Games, Apps, and Dev Projects.

Thanks also sorry I did not realize I posted outside of Pony Games my bad. :)

How do you change the date; do you have to change the actual time on your computer? I'm not seeing any kind of actual interface. Is there any other gameplay besides presumably visiting the other 'stages'?

As an aside, regarding your game art:

The typical form of the TARDIS (which could look like anything technically in the DW universe) is a UK police box design probably from 1960. So you can just use a real picture of one or draw a close facsimile. I doubt there's any need to worry about copyright or anything, unless you use an actual shot from the show. Similarly I would use something else for the inside than a blurry capture from the show itself. If you really like that particular example I'd suggest tracing or freehand drawing to get something visually similar which resembles but it's a one for one copy of the show set.

https://www.deviantart.com/urimas/art/MLPonline-Sprite-Sheets-341840400

^ might be some useful sprites there and for the price of giving credit you have a lot of freedom. Also, although they are small, probably rpg maker sized, as long as you scale in powers of 2 (1, 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, ...) and without anti-aliasing you can probably scale any of them up to a workable size.

Edited by StormyVenture
  • Brohoof 1

4 hours ago, StormyVenture said:

How do you change the date; do you have to change the actual time on your computer? I'm not seeing any kind of actual interface. Is there any other gameplay besides presumably visiting the other 'stages'?

As an aside, regarding your game art:

The typical form of the TARDIS (which could look like anything technically in the DW universe) is a UK police box design probably from 1960. So you can just use a real picture of one or draw a close facsimile. I doubt there's any need to worry about copyright or anything, unless you use an actual shot from the show. Similarly I would use something else for the inside than a blurry capture from the show itself. If you really like that particular example I'd suggest tracing or freehand drawing to get something visually similar which resembles but it's a one for one copy of the show set.

https://www.deviantart.com/urimas/art/MLPonline-Sprite-Sheets-341840400

^ might be some useful sprites there and for the price of giving credit you have a lot of freedom. Also, although they are small, probably rpg maker sized, as long as you scale in powers of 2 (1, 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, ...) and without anti-aliasing you can probably scale any of them up to a workable size.

You change the date on the actual computer. This is just a short demo I will add other stages.

Also the Tardis and its interior are placeholders at the moment.  I changed the placeholder for the outside from the first test engine so it was more fleshed out.

The sprites you shared are really good when I get around to it I will use them in the game. :)

• Brohoof 1

Alright.

Having to go out of the game to change the date is a little weird, just my two cents. Surely it's not that hard to store values in the game and provide a point and click interface to adjust them.

Seems like this could be at least an amusing point and click 2D adventure with a bit of work.

1 hour ago, StormyVenture said:

Alright.

Having to go out of the game to change the date is a little weird, just my two cents. Surely it's not that hard to store values in the game and provide a point and click interface to adjust them.

Seems like this could be at least an amusing point and click 2D adventure with a bit of work.

Thanks I thought having the date change based on the real date would be a fun little gimmick also I just made a piece of concept art for Tardis which I just put on deviantart. :)   

I have made a blog so this thread does not get to cluttered. 

Edit I accidentally made it an entry of an older blog instead of it being a new one just fixed it. :) 

Edited by Dabmanz
  • Brohoof 2

• The title was changed to Doctor whooves game project. (Help wanted)
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
On 11/11/2020 at 2:57 AM, Jesse Terrence said:

What happened? :sunbutt:

Sorry of asking, but as a dev myself it makes me sad to see a fellow dev drop a project that already had a demo.

Sorry I didn't see your reply. Its on the Time Turner Blog. Also I am working on a different pony fangame now which uses the same grass textures which I originally was using for this.

Sorry to hear that, what a bummer.

Make this an opportunity to handle things better. If you didn't have a well defined GDD (game design document) for that project then do yourself a favor and write one for this new one. Having that sort of thing ironed out will help you to rebuild if you lose stuff again as you'll what it was supposed to be like. In addition, it's never a bad idea to take notes on a physical medium. And definitely learn to back stuff up whether that means an external hard drive, a flash drive, burning it to a CD/DVD, uploading it to the cloud (Google Drive, Dropbox, etc) or giving a copy to a friend. Losing code, content, project files, etc is an inevitable risk and therefore is something you should be prepared for.

Edited by StormyVenture
  • Brohoof 1