Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is Discord really a mentor?

CastletonSnob

I think that Discord's intentions are mostly okay/good...but in the end, I don't think that he truly cares enough to put effort into trying to teach valuable lessons. It all just happens by accident. 

He may be reformed, but he's still no help, really. He may not be actively evil anymore, but that doesn't automatically make him a good person. You'll see that he's still immature and still has a lot to learn.

So yes, I'm mostly with the latter. 

• Brohoof 2

2 hours ago, VG_Addict said:

Does Discord actually try to teach Twilight and her friends lessons in his own way, or is he just a dick who accidentally teaches them lessons?

Watching Q from Star Trek, I can only think Discord means well, in his own way. He was evil, but he got taught by the ponies he cannot be anything without friendship.

• Brohoof 1

I think Discord teaches lessons that Twilight and her friends need to learn, I mean they're not lessons they want, lessons they need.

I will agree that Discord gets carried away sometimes.

• Brohoof 1

Come on, he's a trickster. He's never meant to be a 'mentor'.

But him tricking Twilight into becoming a princess? I think it is pretty self evident in the story of several episodes. The only reason why I think the op is asking this is because of the season 9 finale. But I'll tell you that season 9 made us question many character's intentions and their values.

I don't put episodes like season 9 finale into consideration when seriously thinking of what the characters are. Canon is canon but some episodes are flawed enought to be excluded out of the equasion. Sometimes even the show fails to properly portray the characters that they made. It's flawed because people who made the show can be flawed, and that means it can sometimes be invalid.

(edited)

I'd say he genuinely wants to help Twilight but is also just having fun with it. (Twilight's tendency to freak out does make her an easy target)

Edited by JH24

I'm 90% sure that's the writer's intentions, but most, if not all of his appearances he usually just comes off as a giant douchebag that loves making people miserable

• Brohoof 1

To an extent, I can see him as a mentor. Discord has good intentions, but how he goes about it is a different story.