Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is Discord really a master planner?

CastletonSnob

I've heard Discord be referred to as someone who's great at making complex plans to either reach his goals or help his friends, and I just don't see it. Honestly, Discord doesn't seem smart enough to be a master planner.

He literally asked the Mane Six to hit him with the Elements of Harmony because he SOMEHOW thought they would fail even though he should have clearly seen that the Mane Six got their colors back.

Or how about the time he caused himself to get drained of his powers by the Legion of Doom with a magic bell he LED THEM TO GETTING, instead of making an exact replica that wouldn't work on him. And keep in mind he was SURPRISED that the Legion of Doom betrayed him, even though 2 of them are villains known for backstabbing others, and one of them was Tirek, a villain who had betrayed him before.

I don't think Discord is the master planner the fandom seems to think he is.

• Brohoof 2

When it comes to manipulating Twilight, he is a master planner. It worked out in the end.

When it comes to destroying Season 9 and the hype for Grogar, he's not a good.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

5% Master Planner

95% just an asshole

And I think that's being generous

Edited by Megas
  • Brohoof 1

Honestly; the only plans that really worked out for him was his initial plan against the Mane 6 in the season 2 premier, and that long-term  plan of his involving the seeds. That said, he ruined the first plan due to his own ego and iirc, he plum forgot about those seeds...I think?

Master planner? That's Sombra's gig and I will DIE on that hill!

Plans are the antithesis to chaos. Why would someone who embodies chaos need a plan? Not anyone can make a dent in his power besides the elements of harmony anyways.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

Discord can be smart when he really, really wants something. His plans are sometimes over complicated, but he does really know how to manipulate people. I had a theory that season 9 could've been a last roll of the dice for him. 

He really was trying to use the Legion of Doom to take over Equestria, but he did it with an ingenious way of backing out if things went wrong, and when they did he had the perfect excuse for why he was doing what he was doing. 

"Oh no, Twilight, I wasn't really trying to overthrow you out of jealousy, I merely gathered all these villains and made them dangerous again to teach you a lesson. The Bewitching Bell that I sent them after that they later used to drain the princesses magic? Why, I never dreamed of using it, that was merely a ploy to get them to work together."  

3 hours ago, Rumpelstiltskin said:

Discord can be smart when he really, really wants something. His plans are sometimes over complicated, but he does really know how to manipulate people. I had a theory that season 9 could've been a last roll of the dice for him. 

He really was trying to use the Legion of Doom to take over Equestria, but he did it with an ingenious way of backing out if things went wrong, and when they did he had the perfect excuse for why he was doing what he was doing. 

"Oh no, Twilight, I wasn't really trying to overthrow you out of jealousy, I merely gathered all these villains and made them dangerous again to teach you a lesson. The Bewitching Bell that I sent them after that they later used to drain the princesses magic? Why, I never dreamed of using it, that was merely a ploy to get them to work together."  

This makes significantly more sense than what was actually presented in the show lmao

• Brohoof 1

• 2 months later...
On 2022-06-16 at 8:35 PM, Dark Qiviut said:

He really, really isn’t. Discord’s entire plan was flawed from the start and fell apart the minute the Terrible Trio schemed behind his back.

To be fair Discord didn't expect Celestia and Luna to delay their retirement. Discord's Grogar plan wasn't meant to be a long term thing.

It was a half ass plan. Discord knows that he's the most powerful My Little Pony character, and when you're all powerful you can get away with planning things in a half ass way. It's nice to see Discord get biten in the ass by his lack of foresight.

• 4 months later...

I think that Discord is less of a master planner and more of a master manipulator. Even after his reformation, his manipulation continued such as when he manipulated Equestria's enemies in season 9.