Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Your thoughts. Does this really look too my little pony to you?

RaphLuna

Been a long time since I post here and I’m not sure if this is the right place to post this. 

Need your advice and input fellow MLP fan lovers. I’m getting too much input telling my Novel cover characters are too my little pony looking and will attract kids to read the book.

Got tired of it. People want clarification to what the book is about. And I respect that. one person Pointed out if they were to buy the book and read they were about furry human like equines they would be very disappointed. so I tried to make it as clear as possible. But then they say its too My little pony.

if anyone knows their MLP it’s you wonderful people here in the fandom. so my question to you are they right or wrong?

New creative species human furry equines called
Clyanthrians reserved for novel.

link to reboot designs. The Clyanthrian original species designs

Clyanthrian (only a few wield magical powers )
Anthrasus winged clyanthrians ( only a few wield magical abilities )
Unithrona horn clyanthrian ( They all wield magic except one )
Clyanthrauniasus Winged horn clyanthrian. (Royal Twin sisters in the Kindom Sundancia they have very unique and rare powerful magic. Daughters to king Atlas anthrasus and Queen Dawn unithrona ) sadly the queen died giving birth to the twins. Heartbroken and in fear of the safety of their twin daughters. He keeps them confined to the royal grounds. I love when summer now eight pleads with her father to go beyond the castle walls. He refuses for its for her own good..here she tries to disguise herself her twin sister finds out . And curiously follows her sister. there is third of this breed born to a poor clyanthrian couple who conceals his features in fear he will be taken from them by the upper class and raise him as their own. The poor has no right to such a rare evolved form.

Holivi is a Brilliant Artist and done the design of the Rose and the family Portrait. Here is a link to her original artwork...Forest Juliette they Daughter Blossom

yes love to tinker into artwork too..My Tinkering with Holiva Art piece of the Clyanthrian Family

Novel Cover Front Back

1596799987469.png

Genera ( Fantasy Drama )
Age (Adult ) since the lead characters are adults.

Preface
Beyond Earth’s starry skies, through a black hole, lies a whole new solar system with its own sun. Nine planets: Murka, Vella, Enderria, Molo, Jupata, Saturron, Unonna, Nepar, and Pomo span from the great giver of light and life to the darkness of the unknown. Of all planets, there is but one that has an abundance of life—the third planet from the blazing ball of fire—Enderria. Upon her rugged surface and vast waters lived the clyanthrians, a furry human-like equine species that has survived and thrived for generations.
There are many stories that have been told about the clyanthrians; however, one stands out above the rest. It’s a tale of two unlikely family trees: one that struggled to sprout and flourish, and another with broken branches barely hanging on.
I hold out my hand and ask you to follow me into their stories as one family tree begins to bloom while the other struggles to heal. We begin our journey in one very special place: nestled deep within a thick, dense forest, in the peaceful village of Oakwood Grove, the home of Blossom’s family tree.

Chapter list breakdown.

01. The note.
02. Reflections of the Past
03. The doctors warning
04. Heirlooms
05. A father's worst fear
06. Holding onto hope
07. The sting of the upper class
08. The first date
09. The Past and the Present
10. Dr. Taylor's Confession
11. Juliette
12. Crowded
13. Mare talk. Fatherly advice
14. Complications
15. Two different lives collide
16. Friends
17. Meet the parents
18. Blizzaver
19. The Bully
20. Edward
21. Dr Franklin
22. Mother. (6 parts )
23. A Buried Secret ( might be a part series )
24. Cameron and Bella
25. Crush
26. The horn. (Could be a part series )
27. The invitation.
28. The ex fiancée
29. Life without Forest.
30. Father…
21. Open wounds.
30. Forgiveness
31. The Letter.

Novel is for Adults considering it’s not for the faint of heart. We deal with a lot of Intense serious topics.

since the novels are for a much older audience I decided to pluck the furry equine clyonies out and keep it more on the cute family friendly side...reserved for kids stores and colouring books..

here is link to The Clyonies yes i hold copyright to them all. I still Explore new Species...

FCDBFDC3-5F4A-446A-AECB-F7EA7A68EFEA.thumb.png.f12479dcc11e7966dad2786678ae9dfc.png

update Trademark registration of The Clyonies name got the Green light. Waiting for name and logo Trademark Registration to be approved..

Alex Blue Bird is my Partner for the cute side of the furry equines she done the sketch i did vector line work and colouring on this piece... a
Yes I wrote the motivational piece too.,

1596703814876.png

Here is a link to The sketches she done so far... for the colouring book series we are working on, do you think we should get into kid storybooks too.

The Clyonies Sketched my my Partner Alex Blue Bird Collection 1

Collection 2

Collection 3

collection 4

collection 5

collection 6

collection 7

so do you feel they are write too my little pony. Or do you feel they are wrong.

Edited by RaphLuna

Absolutely MLP looking. I can see resemblances in the round, squishy hooves, the big eyes, and the short, cute horse snouts. And most of those art links lead to very MLP looking quadruped designs, not the anthros you say you’re going to use.

And while I would squarely blame a parent if they don’t check the content of a book before their kid reads it, that cover is positively going to draw in children, or ignorant adults buying gifts for children. Look at those adorable characters, with their big sparkly eyes.

Here’s a horse anthro I yoinked off of Google images. This kind of style might be more appropriate for the tone and brand-image you’re looking for:

Spoiler

CE3DC746-6691-43D9-8C2A-7D355DF9456E.thumb.jpeg.86487fc93f6141d74fa2cc542b326cb5.jpeg

Edited by ShadOBabe
  • Brohoof 2

Very furry looking as well. I don't think any generation of MLP ever looked furry though.

It is always a good thing to reuse concept but with a new spin to it. This looks good

@RaphLuna

Sugarcube Corner is designated for discussing My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic indirectly. What you’re looking for Non-Pony Artwork in Octavia’s Hall. Moving there...

Don't judge a book by its cover......rarely anyone does that so im judging your book by its cover..... 

My little pony related.... Art style looks  and copied from ....like old books..... Looks slice of life ish... Europe based....old family portrait as the cover...... Sorry it looks boring to me.... I hope it helps. Im Judging by the cover and i havent read much on what you typed...this way it'll help you see what people think of your book at first glance. Its my first glance impression...

• Brohoof 1

8 hours ago, Kujamih said:

Don't judge a book by its cover......rarely anyone does that so im judging your book by its cover..... 

My little pony related.... Art style looks  and copied from ....like old books..... Looks slice of life ish... Europe based....old family portrait as the cover...... Sorry it looks boring to me.... I hope it helps. Im Judging by the cover and i havent read much on what you typed...this way it'll help you see what people think of your book at first glance. Its my first glance impression...

Yeah It needs to stand out an not be so dull looking.. So I tinkered with a few more creative effects. 

0E6DD4AF-4D72-4DA7-8E4D-58B784D13B19.thumb.png.eeca229480d1ea63475417763b313c26.png
20A29559-F87D-4AF3-9F9E-57FD4485D25B.thumb.png.7c067f4625ccd7545068bf05074af851.png
8794E782-B6C2-4C21-8B36-541315484924.thumb.png.49b39fba0511166cef2d4a12fb230b0b.png

Ture been tinkering a bit more., do you think any of those are eye catching. 

On 8/8/2020 at 7:43 AM, ShadOBabe said:

Absolutely MLP looking. I can see resemblances in the round, squishy hooves, the big eyes, and the short, cute horse snouts. And most of those art links lead to very MLP looking quadruped designs, not the anthros you say you’re going to use.

And while I would squarely blame a parent if they don’t check the content of a book before their kid reads it, that cover is positively going to draw in children, or ignorant adults buying gifts for children. Look at those adorable characters, with their big sparkly eyes.

Here’s a horse anthro I yoinked off of Google images. This kind of style might be more appropriate for the tone and brand-image you’re looking for:

Reveal hidden contents

CE3DC746-6691-43D9-8C2A-7D355DF9456E.thumb.jpeg.86487fc93f6141d74fa2cc542b326cb5.jpeg

Are you basing your observation Directly with Hasbro's copyright my little pony Designs of the generations of My little Pony? Or is your observation based on Fan art? 

just trying to clarify.

1 hour ago, RaphLuna said:

Are you basing your observation Directly with Hasbro's copyright my little pony Designs of the generations of My little Pony? Or is your observation based on Fan art? 

just trying to clarify.

Unsure what you’re asking. Fanart often looks like whatever it’s fanart of, and the gen 4 ponies have a very distinctive style. Traces of that style (the hooves, eyes, faces) can definitely be seen in most of your characters that I saw in your gallery, and I would immediately assume there was an MLP connection without any context.

If you’re asking if your characters are legally distinct enough that you won’t get sued, then yeah, you’re probably in the clear. Just check with legal counsel on that.

But it’s still going to give off the MLP vibe. I would definitely consider a few more attempts at other art styles.

Here’s another example. This is Fluttershy and Pinkie as anthros. They still got the short MLP noses, but the rest of style is so off-on-its-own that without the telltale hairstyles, you probably wouldn’t be able to identify them.

https://www.deviantart.com/earthsong9405/art/Zombie-AU-Doodle-Fluttershy-and-Pinkie-Pie-513008644

EDIT: I just went and looked at the artist that did your cover art. They're AMAZING. And I can see that they're perfectly capable of not making MLP/cartoony looking anthros. I wonder why your portrait for your adult novel turned out so cutsie?

Edited by ShadOBabe
  • Brohoof 1

6 hours ago, ShadOBabe said:

Unsure what you’re asking. Fanart often looks like whatever it’s fanart of, and the gen 4 ponies have a very distinctive style. Traces of that style (the hooves, eyes, faces) can definitely be seen in most of your characters that I saw in your gallery, and I would immediately assume there was an MLP connection without any context.

If you’re asking if your characters are legally distinct enough that you won’t get sued, then yeah, you’re probably in the clear. Just check with legal counsel on that.

But it’s still going to give off the MLP vibe. I would definitely consider a few more attempts at other art styles.

Here’s another example. This is Fluttershy and Pinkie as anthros. They still got the short MLP noses, but the rest of style is so off-on-its-own that without the telltale hairstyles, you probably wouldn’t be able to identify them.

https://www.deviantart.com/earthsong9405/art/Zombie-AU-Doodle-Fluttershy-and-Pinkie-Pie-513008644

EDIT: I just went and looked at the artist that did your cover art. They're AMAZING. And I can see that they're perfectly capable of not making MLP/cartoony looking anthros. I wonder why your portrait for your adult novel turned out so cutsie?

Thank you Kindly. Hasbro never tapped into the mixing MLP and human  together. They Have  Equestrian girls however they all look human only with the acceptation  of  A tweak of ears and wings popping out true their hair grows longer. But they have no tail and no equestrian girls do not have any fur. 

Here is a Blossom Dang that furry filly. She always like to play with my Home Counties flag. She is a female and all females have the furry Hooves like the males too. 

94CAF7C1-26F7-47BC-9418-693A345864C5.thumb.png.316f273262f6f7ad768cdd0d865ddab8.png

Checked with my copyright infringement lawyer. And  yup I’m good to go. My furry equines do not infringe on has bro’s. 

22 hours ago, RaphLuna said:

Yeah It needs to stand out an not be so dull looking.. So I tinkered with a few more creative effects. 

0E6DD4AF-4D72-4DA7-8E4D-58B784D13B19.thumb.png.eeca229480d1ea63475417763b313c26.png
20A29559-F87D-4AF3-9F9E-57FD4485D25B.thumb.png.7c067f4625ccd7545068bf05074af851.png
8794E782-B6C2-4C21-8B36-541315484924.thumb.png.49b39fba0511166cef2d4a12fb230b0b.png

Ture been tinkering a bit more., do you think any of those are eye catching. 

just trying to clarify.

The first one caught my eye the second one....made me think that the dad was killed or ....or something sinister involving the dad....hmmmmm:okiedokieloki: third one just ruins the picture in the front...but the back......kinda eye catchy.. the spine though... It is also considered the front cover of the book too. So.... Maybe put a shiny symbol there...always eye catchy.....i know its a cheap trick but cheap trick it is! But still works! Maybe put the rose on the spine aswell......and why the rose? Surely that rose must symoblize the story alot or deep connection right?

How bout trying to make the family photo look like a real photo? Like not square and more of a rectangle? Co its a photo? Or is old photos squarish?... And have you tried tilting the photo a bit?.... Why am i rarity mode now!? Im supposed  to be more pinkie.....ah well

Spoiler

The red made it more eye catchy thats for sure.... Not the pure grey...the pure grey reminds me of text books and workbooks... monotonous colours... Maybe add an important symbol thats important to the story...like a reader would be forced to look at the cover again and make them "so thats what this symbol was about!" Kinda moment.

It does look very mlp looking and for kids. The artstyle is directly either based/copied or otherwise inspired by mlp characters since it has the telling characteristics of an specifically mlp style. Giant round eyes with huge pupils, small snouts, big heads, cone like hooves (which is the most telling sign and it's a generational consistent trait in mlp) , proportionate to look very small and kid friendly. 

One might say don't judge a book for it's cover but people have to know what they are getting into just by looking at it, it's called design and it's the cover of your book and the overall style your work is going to be tinted by. It could be seen as deceiving, I find it deceiving. And if you plan to get money from it you better get away from any mlp similitudes. Even if you could get away from being sue by Hasbro you still are giving the wrong signals to your audience and it will alienate the public you want to get to. On top of confusing the audience that will buy it thinking is mlp related or similar in tone and story and will get something completely different. 

Edited by Ittoni

20 hours ago, Ittoni said:

It does look very mlp looking and for kids. The artstyle is directly either based/copied or otherwise inspired by mlp characters since it has the telling characteristics of an specifically mlp style. Giant round eyes with huge pupils, small snouts, big heads, cone like hooves (which is the most telling sign and it's a generational consistent trait in mlp) , proportionate to look very small and kid friendly. 

One might say don't judge a book for it's cover but people have to know what they are getting into just by looking at it, it's called design and it's the cover of your book and the overall style your work is going to be tinted by. It could be seen as deceiving, I find it deceiving. And if you plan to get money from it you better get away from any mlp similitudes. Even if you could get away from being sue by Hasbro you still are giving the wrong signals to your audience and it will alienate the public you want to get to. On top of confusing the audience that will buy it thinking is mlp related or similar in tone and story and will get something completely different. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_h7P46KH8M&list=PLfEz6nkJvI9IhG1vA3J3G__64kh8rKR2Z

I respect you input. 

the above two have their own creative design plus their stories are different unique from the standard MLP stories. 

What your seeing in my works  is early works of my designs. I’m planning to revamp some of my old works. And get more creative exploring new species there is a Massive ocean  that needs its own sea creatures... New character. New species to explore. 

the Clyonies are not the only creatures, there huge wave if you look beyond the furry acquires and evolved forum’s. 

we have lizards, snakes, owls, Giraffes, Killer whales, crocodiles, frogs, flamingo, Lions Foxes Pandas Kangaroos, Rabbits, Koalas, Gorillas, Polar bears  and way way way more. 

in regards your. Quote Based/Copied  You do realize anything can be a reference Right. See... 

https://www.deviantart.com/landoftheclyony/art/Anything-can-be-a-refrence-734662365

I’m planing to go over some  old works. Yawn Zebra Looks Boring here is reboot. going to do way more upgrades. Plus I love it when they walk upright.  

https://www.deviantart.com/landoftheclyony/art/How-do-you-like-the-improvement-817283111

True MLP was my Inspiration at the beginner bunny slope but I shelved the past and moved forward. Noting wrong with a fresh twist with a unique creative story to spring forward with. 

think of pizza there are a variety of restraints and even store bought pizzas to choose from..and when you look at the pizza menus of choice. It’s great to have options to choose from. Why is that because.. Everyone's taste change over time, I’m the mood for Hawaiian, vegetarian, all cheese, meaty pizza of a whole lot of peppers or even tuna. You have a lot of choices. 

same with branding. Logos are designed to clarify confusion, Already have my Trademark a

Approved in USA The Clyonies Name. Name and logo waiting for approval in Canada. 

IP lawyer done the observation  Over my designs The furry Clyonies, with hasbros ponies.  TheIr observation was Done in year June 19 2019. And they found no infringement. 

so I’m not worried. I love that I went for a furry style of the Clyonies. 

Story wise I’m not worried. I’m I; the clear. 

the Clyanthrians are exclusive for the novel the furry Clyonies are reserved for kids and familes. 

Hugs

Laurie

3 hours ago, RaphLuna said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_h7P46KH8M&list=PLfEz6nkJvI9IhG1vA3J3G__64kh8rKR2Z

I respect you input. 

the above two have their own creative design plus their stories are different unique from the standard MLP stories. 

What your seeing in my works  is early works of my designs. I’m planning to revamp some of my old works. And get more creative exploring new species there is a Massive ocean  that needs its own sea creatures... New character. New species to explore. 

the Clyonies are not the only creatures, there huge wave if you look beyond the furry acquires and evolved forum’s. 

we have lizards, snakes, owls, Giraffes, Killer whales, crocodiles, frogs, flamingo, Lions Foxes Pandas Kangaroos, Rabbits, Koalas, Gorillas, Polar bears  and way way way more. 

in regards your. Quote Based/Copied  You do realize anything can be a reference Right. See... 

https://www.deviantart.com/landoftheclyony/art/Anything-can-be-a-refrence-734662365

I’m planing to go over some  old works. Yawn Zebra Looks Boring here is reboot. going to do way more upgrades. Plus I love it when they walk upright.  

https://www.deviantart.com/landoftheclyony/art/How-do-you-like-the-improvement-817283111

True MLP was my Inspiration at the beginner bunny slope but I shelved the past and moved forward. Noting wrong with a fresh twist with a unique creative story to spring forward with. 

think of pizza there are a variety of restraints and even store bought pizzas to choose from..and when you look at the pizza menus of choice. It’s great to have options to choose from. Why is that because.. Everyone's taste change over time, I’m the mood for Hawaiian, vegetarian, all cheese, meaty pizza of a whole lot of peppers or even tuna. You have a lot of choices. 

same with branding. Logos are designed to clarify confusion, Already have my Trademark a

Approved in USA The Clyonies Name. Name and logo waiting for approval in Canada. 

IP lawyer done the observation  Over my designs The furry Clyonies, with hasbros ponies.  TheIr observation was Done in year June 19 2019. And they found no infringement. 

so I’m not worried. I love that I went for a furry style of the Clyonies. 

Story wise I’m not worried. I’m I; the clear. 

the Clyanthrians are exclusive for the novel the furry Clyonies are reserved for kids and familes. 

Hugs

Laurie

Hey, your work is great, I've got nothing against it because I know how much work it is to write a story and come up with everything it demands aside from the legal stuff so don't take my next input badly.

There's a very thin line between inspiration and copying. I'm a graphic designer by my career, a vfx and cgi artist by profession, and a certified brand strategist. Who also lives in Mexico, which might seem weird and unimportant but I know in other countries the registration of original content is a lot more lax than here since here, if you want to have something branded, or copyrighted, you not only have protection over your work in Mexico but you also have protection anywhere else around the world (is the only country I know does this accesible for the general public) and they are very strict with it. You can also just register it but it only protects you from an exact copy of your work, not a modified version, which is how I understand other countries mostly work, or at least is the option most people opt for for being cheaper and faster. 

That being said, my opinion may be skewed because of that. Just might :BrightMacContent:

Is your art form and if you want to get it be known by all means do it. But legally and ethically personally I would prefer you to detach yourself a bit from your own artistic biases. They are not bad at all as art and expression they are actually quiet good. 

I've seen students where I graduated (a Catholic college, which I have a lot to say about the religion but they don't teach religion there, they teach morals and profession ethics included in the curricular matrix) that were denied the license and thrown out of college because they discovered that they copied someone else's work (depending on if it crosses the line or not), mostly during a contest with real clients and we'll, there has been embarrassing cases where the client recognizes their own work in the student and even sues. So yeah, I'm kind of biased. 

Being overprepared to comment a simple matter on the internet in a forum of little horses is an issue that exists.

Edited by Ittoni
  • Brohoof 1

21 hours ago, Ittoni said:

Hey, your work is great, I've got nothing against it because I know how much work it is to write a story and come up with everything it demands aside from the legal stuff so don't take my next input badly.

There's a very thin line between inspiration and copying. I'm a graphic designer by my career, a vfx and cgi artist by profession, and a certified brand strategist. Who also lives in Mexico, which might seem weird and unimportant but I know in other countries the registration of original content is a lot more lax than here since here, if you want to have something branded, or copyrighted, you not only have protection over your work in Mexico but you also have protection anywhere else around the world (is the only country I know does this accesible for the general public) and they are very strict with it. You can also just register it but it only protects you from an exact copy of your work, not a modified version, which is how I understand other countries mostly work, or at least is the option most people opt for for being cheaper and faster. 

That being said, my opinion may be skewed because of that. Just might :BrightMacContent:

Is your art form and if you want to get it be known by all means do it. But legally and ethically personally I would prefer you to detach yourself a bit from your own artistic biases. They are not bad at all as art and expression they are actually quiet good. 

I've seen students where I graduated (a Catholic college, which I have a lot to say about the religion but they don't teach religion there, they teach morals and profession ethics included in the curricular matrix) that were denied the license and thrown out of college because they discovered that they copied someone else's work (depending on if it crosses the line or not), mostly during a contest with real clients and we'll, there has been embarrassing cases where the client recognizes their own work in the student and even sues. So yeah, I'm kind of biased. 

Being overprepared to comment a simple matter on the internet in a forum of little horses is an issue that exists.

So very true. I just love to Write, Character Design, and vectorize with both my own illustrations and My partner Alex Blue Bird. Pokemon is Awesome. They have a variety of creatures.

Inotice a trend not only with hasbro but many others as well  they stick to the pony looks. Granted hasbro added new species and such however the ponies always have the spotlight. 

Why do that when there are many other species to explore....

old yawn bunny boring.... better using design as a real bunny. 

5aae3de1c5b60_LuckeyHoofFluffFemaleLeader.thumb.png.0ecb58ae6ef1ef2328ff6da921a2b050.png

now this look way better for a morphed bunny. Her ears are tied back and drooping behind her bottom. 

FC7EB2B3-5D98-4F00-991C-CE4F52AB1AB7.thumb.png.b4578f124a583477914c66c2a0cbb8d1.png

I love to go further and tinker with character designs even more. Enderria is a Huge planet.full of mystical wonder. And deep secrets. 

• 3 weeks later...

This is a very interesting topic, so I'll come back shortly after reading through it all and doing up an in-depth reply.

But I did want to mention that Hasbro is not the only one that can make equine properties. Nickelodeon has the Corn & Peg tv series, while Scholastic puts out the Melowy series of books.

I wholly support making new original anthro stories. You should see my comic, Firewake, which is an original unicorn property that's being published by a big furry publisher.

I really like the character designs on your dA page. Though, about the similarities, I think the fact many of them have both digitigrade/'lightning bolt' legs and big eyes with big white highlight spots is what's making them look a bit too much like My Little Ponies. The Melowies have largely straight legs, and the characters in Corn & Peg have comparatively more subdued eye highlights.

It sounds like a good strategy, separating the more anthro characters from the cuter ones. Just make sure to give the two sides a different enough feel and name from each other, to reduce confusion.

I think it'd help to rename either the Clyanthrians or Clyonies to something else to separate them further.

I would suggest making, or at least proposing with concept art, a kids' book or storybook first. You could approach a wide range of publishers, and share it online.

THEN, once that has been accepted and gained enough of a readership, follow it up with a colouring book.

And if you still want to continue making Thorns of the Past into what is presumably an illustrated novel for older audiences, you should either approach furry publishers, or just market it directly to furries/bronies on your own.

Lastly, if you do aim the Clyonies towards kids, as in a kids' storybook, I'd look at changing the name. I understand that it works in the reference to Clydesdale horses, but 'Clyonies' still sounds awkward, and actually sounds like 'ponies'.

Maybe call it something like 'The World of Clyonia', and give each creature its own species, with slightly more inventive names.

I can help further, but DM me if you want it, as any more than this would count as work.

• Brohoof 1