Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What do you dislike most about the culture of your country?

Reecejackox

1 hour ago, cuteycindyhoney said:

The culture of hate that is still growing strong in the United States. We have to ditch that monster in the oval office.

Agreed.

And let's just say I do not follow anybody who uses religion to condemn anyone. Regardless of sexual orientation, gender, age, what have you, we're ALL supposed to be God's children. 

To me, God is supposed to be the god of love and peace not hate and discrimination

• Brohoof 2

8 hours ago, Megas said:

Military Fetishization. All of the obsession with guns, weapons and artillary? Bloated military budget to the point we barely have money for anything else? All just reeks of Tiny-Dick syndrome

well I mean the american average is quite small lol

so that's probably true haha

• Brohoof 1

7 hours ago, Fluttershyfan94 said:

Though the culture here is to pretty much accept what the nanny state tells you, not question it and be an obedient slave both physically and mentally. What also annoys me is this snobby attitude towards other cultures as we pretend to better then everyone when we are pretty much not. 

Now also there is the culture of always saying you're happy, you'll never see anyone claim to be otherwise while still having one of the worlds highest suicide rates and highest rate of anti depressants yet you know happiest place on earth right haha as if most people here don't even smile they are all pretty much suffering slaving away having "high" wages they keep a fraction of to then pay the highest costs of living. Then there is this stupid snobby attitude of believing you're better then everyone truly I hate it about this country.

I mean it's not as bad over here with the cost of living and suicide and anti-depressants, but we do kinda have a similar snootyness about being better than everyone and being obedient to the state despite most of the policies being objectively terrible and some downright oppressive

• Brohoof 1

Another thing I cannot stand about US culture and this is an obvious one: The sheer inane levels of "nationalism" that is always in the air. 

While I get the whole idea of wanting to have "pride" in where you live (I try to promote individual state pride over "murica" pride myself) but in the US it is all taken to such an extreme level it is basically self-parody at this point. Everywhere you go, you will see countless "murican" flags spammed across towns and cities. Some places it is almost like there's one on every friggin' street corner and street light. One town I went to had mini US flags surrounding an entire large bank AND one big flag on a pole. What does that accomplish exactly? That isn't "pride", it is egotistical total self-indulgence at that point. You also see this flag being milked to death in all sorts of marketing and anything US related. Anything that mentions "american made" or whatever else you will see the flag being used as a marketing tool, just to show everyone how "murican" they are. Absolutely no other country does this kind of crap from what I know or if any other does, it is nowhere even close to this comical level. It is to the point of being a total joke. This is on top of the arrogance many "americans" have, where they think they are superior to other people simply because of what plot of land they were born on. No surprise there when the national anthem says "land of the free, home of the brave", as if no other place has free or brave people. Local stations around where I live play the national anthem every morning (why?) and one around here even does a daily "pledge of allegiance" as led by a class of school kids. Again, why? The US fuels this air of elitism and that leads to a depressing amount of xenophobia. This is why I do not support this kind of "nationalism". Like I said, I am an advocate for individual state pride and if we want, that kind of nationalistic attitude can be used for that as well, as I personally have several states that I hate though that isn't because I think my state is "so much better". All of this stuff is why when any kind of media tries to make some kind of joke about the stereotypes of the US like "Har har the flag har har guns har har the military har har no affordable health care har har corruption and greed", it only pisses me off because it is no longer a joke, it is all the reality we now live in. That's why the humor of the Grand Theft Auto series for example is a total bust for me. All they deploy is the typical "lol murica lol" humor and it completely loses all impact when I am living that joke every day. 

Nothing like a good rant in the morning. :P Honestly it does help the mood. Takes any pent up frustration and puts it into words, getting it out to somewhere else rather than in the mind. Though I am sure some people might see me saying all of this and instantly hate me or whatever, but it is what it is I guess. I heavily criticize the US because I wish things would improve but that's just not been happening at all..It really brings me down. 

• Brohoof 3

US (where I live):

-The worship of symbols like the US flag and rituals like the pledge and national anthem. It's one thing to set aside a little patriotism for them, it's another thing to cast anyone out when they protest the rituals to point out that what the promises of these rituals are not being properly applied to everyone. A number of people in the US act like these are religious symbols/rituals that must be obeyed and it's flat out scary to me, I can't lie. Human rights matter more than strict adherence to rituals. These rituals are lies if spoken in a nation that does not grant the rights and freedom to everyone.

(Also trying to say that not blindly obeying these rituals is disrespectful to the military is sooooo bad, so offbase. If the military personnel are fighting for symbols and rituals, then they aren't fighting for crap. It's the freedoms and rights that matter. No military personnel should ever be offended by people standing up for what's right by peacefully protesting a symbol/ritual).

-The religiosity. To be honest, it's not really the religiosity. Yes, I would personally like to live in a less religious culture, but if the religious people in a nation respect the rights of everyone else, then there's no problem with having a large percentage of religious people around and I'd be fine with that. That is not the case in the US. Authoritarian Christianity has a stranglehold over the US and it is a major problem. If only the Constitution meant anything, then we wouldn't have this problem.

-Gun culture. Enough said?

-Country music. Sorry, but it has to be said.

-An overall lack of empathy. The fact that so many people nowadays are always whining about people "being offended" says a lot. Now I could go into how these same people that are whining about others being offended are all too often the same people that are the most offended by the most absurd things or are greatly offended by things that say a lot about them (diversity).

-Overall being in a culture that would vote a disgusting, proud sexual assaulter into office. I don't care if that's "political". This all goes beyond politics. It's a sign that our culture has failed morally.

EDIT: Forgot about the whole "wearing masks is against my freedom!" nonsense. And pretty much everything about how the nation has handled the coronavirus. It's just so pathetic, and just another reason I am so ashamed of this nation.

Edited by Envy
  • Brohoof 1

In the US, the superficiality here. “How are you?” “I’m fine, you?” “I’m fine.” It’s harder to tell when someone truly cares for you.

Also our culture around health, or lack thereof. People here love fast food and many people live in ‘food deserts’ which means they don’t live near a grocery store with healthier options. Outside of major cities, public transit is non-existant so people have to drive everywhere instead of walking. 

Definitely agree on the celebrity worship culture too; I don’t pay much attention to it myself but it’s clearly all over the news and social media. I don’t see why celebrities are such a big deal. Though I’m not sure if that’s so US-specific, maybe a little bit...

• Brohoof 2

The treatment and portrayal of the poor as animals, addicts and slobs. This kind of treatment is persistant in all cultures but especially in this one I've seen.

If I ever see someone treat a homeless person badly again I'm going to get nasty.

I grew up religious, and am still religious but definitely no where near what I was before. I think the culture I dislike the most is the hate that people have for others...specifically about race or sexuality.

You shouldn't be judging anyone else based on anything. You can have disagreements with people, but I think hating someone based on the color of their skin, their sexuality, or their religion is an awful culture that continues to grow in this country when we should be united more because of what POTUS has done in the last 4 years, moreso the last 5 months. Is it really hurting you physically or emotionally that someone is LGBTQ+ or that they are a different color?

Speaking of religion, I've heard a lot about Christians who have said on social media that "you're not Christian if you are voting against Trump". BULL$#!T! Christians aren't suppose to judge (as I've mentioned earlier) on anything about you, just disagree. That is giving other Christians bad names.

10 hours ago, SparklingSwirls said:

In the US, the superficiality here. “How are you?” “I’m fine, you?” “I’m fine.” It’s harder to tell when someone truly cares for you.

This is a big problem in the South. The South is stereotyped as being more "friendly", but it's all so fake. Not only do I not trust the "niceness" of the South for one second due to the primary political affiliations of most people there, but I also don't think that the "niceness" of strangers greeting each other is genuine at all. What's the point in saying "How are you?" when you're not even actually meaning it? It's just awkward.

14 hours ago, ExplosionMare said:

It can’t be as bad as English. English has all these one and two syllable words in it that sound super plain.

But english sounds great!:worry:

• Brohoof 1

Another thing to add:

• The obsession with symbolism that our joke of a non-far right party has. It's f***ing stupid and honestly it needs to stop. We need an actual left, which we don't have. The "radical left" isn't even on the left. They're centrists obsessed with looking like they care about the plights of people that say they're repressed. Although they are in a good few of these cases, it's so obnoxious and divisive that it's essentially allowed the far right to exist. And not just that, the far right is in fact part of the mainstream however much they want to claim they aren't.
Edited by Dusknoir

The only things I can really think of that I dislike about the culture of the US are overindulgence (with food obviously, we have a lot of morbidly obese people, but also with items. If you're struggling to make ends meet, you don't need to buy that Gucci belt or iPhone XS. Use your brain), and the obsession with celebrities. Keeping up with their lives is fine, but we don't need celebrity stories plastering the front pages of nearly every news site and newspaper (if anyone still reads newspapers). Oh, and can we count education as culture? Because our education system is complete dogshit.

Everything else I dislike are more just human problems. They're problems everywhere because humans in general are inherently awful creatures, myself included. Every single person on this planet is horrible to some degree. But looking at culture differences (and other stuff, like laws and geography and such), I'm really glad I live in the US. We still have those "human problems," as every country does (many have them worse than we do), but the good is enough to outweigh the bad. For me, at least. I actually really love our culture, though I get that some people don't.

• Brohoof 1

The anti-intelligence stance.

I 100% get being skeptical, but chances are Facebook isn't a reliable source... :/

Edited by Derpsieh
Made a typo...
  • Brohoof 1

Another thing: The culture wars between the centrists in love with their symbolism and the far right who just want to find something to be angry about are infuriating, and both sides of it are frankly being idiotic, especially when there are WAY MORE IMPORTANT ISSUES that I have no idea HOW people can POSSIBLY ignore. But yet, nobody seems toACTUALLY CARE about anything that's important. They just seemingly WANT to get wrapped up in this inane, childish, and f***ing STUPID culture war with each other because CLEARLY Blue vs Black is more important than the current economic crisis we've been going through since COVID... Since the pandemic, eviction rates are AT LEAST 26% higher in EVERY state, Unemployment QUINTUPLED, and more and more people are essentially losing their own livelihoods. But no, we have to talk about Blue vs Black. I DON'T CARE ABOUT THAT. I care about the REAL problems right now. And quite ironically, these issues have the SAME fix that BOTH sides of the argument somehow think is "Marxist" but yet it's something that has QUITE CONSISTENTLY worked for SEVERAL countries in Europe FAR better than our system works. I swear I'm going to have a legitimate emotional breakdown if I see too much more of this divisive nonsense. I'm so sick and tired of it particularly when we have a president DISMANTLING THE POSTAL SERVICE IN A DELIBERATE ATTEMPT TO RIG THE ELECTION...

Edited by Dusknoir