Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Thoughts on Figurative Language?

Cagey

Weird topic, I know.

Do you like figurative language? Do you use it a lot, or do you prefer to write in a straightforward manner, or something else? Do you have a favorite type of figurative language?

1. I like it enough to make this topic. 
  2. I usually don’t use it, but it depends.
  3. I like metaphors, idioms, and irony, and I’m also partial to zeugmas. 
  • Brohoof 1

As someone who writes for a living, I rely on all aspects of language to make the most entertaining work I can. But figurative language, like anything else, can be easily overused, and it often is by newer writers which turns their work into a bit of a mess.

If used in the right place and for the right reasons, figurative language is great.

• Brohoof 3

True answer is that it depends on what I'm writing :P if it's a story about ponies then writing figuratively provides a useful bank of phrases to describe my cheeky ponies rather than repeat gestures they make, like ear flopping by way of apology. 

Really I wanted to post about how cool zeugmas is :D I love silly double meanings

I love figurative language, I use it a lot, and I think life would be incredibly boring without it.  I think there is a bit of an art to using in a way that most people won't misunderstand.  It requires knowledge of how people think and talk, and cultural norms and so forth.  It's a lot of fun to play with.

My other thought about figurative language is unfortunately so disappointing I had to spoiler it.

Shall I compare thee to a garbage thought?

Yes thy contents are dull and uninteresting

Seriously what is up with Shakespeare and these sonnets? 

Spoiler

How much simile looks like smile! In fact it derives from similar. Lame. You'd think the derivation of the word for figurative language would be more interesting.

• Brohoof 1

• 4 weeks later...

Personally I've studied Figurative Language throughout my Education due to my disability, I find it very intriguing yet can be confusing to comprehend at times, maybe it's just me but sometimes I cannot take a joke or know when someone is being sarcastic, depends if I'm aware of it. The only times I ever use Figurative Language is when I feel like using it, in terms of speech and comparing something but not legitimately when I am giving closure to someone, consider it interpreting if you will.