Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general media Pony references in other media

Concerned Bystander

I've playing through Fallout 4 again recently, and while exploring the Wilson Atomatoys Corporate HQ building I found the following in one of the computers relating to the production of their 'Giddyup Buttercup' robot horse toy.

image.thumb.png.c8c86510cf2a3c69b318877e2f24197d.png

This seems to be a pretty clear reference to the opening scene of the FiM episode 'The Last Roundup'.

Anyway, I was just wondering, have you spotted any subtle (or otherwise) references to MLP while watching films, TV or playing games?

• Brohoof 2

Borderlands 2 has plenty of pony references, using quote like "20% Cooler", "Evil Enchantress", "You're going to love me!", and "That's an academy record!" for skills and weapons

There's also Transformers Robots In Disguise 2015, one of the characters, Russell, straight up dresses like Starswirl the Bearded

• Brohoof 3

Everyone knows about the reference to MLP in Ducktales. The Cleveland Show also had a very subtle reference to FiM with all the main characters' names being written in initials on a card. My favorite though is the mention of Pinkie Pie in Deadpool 2. :laugh:

• Brohoof 2

9 minutes ago, Megas said:

There's also Transformers Robots In Disguise 2015, one of the characters, Russell, straight up dresses like Starswirl the Bearded

This one doesn't really surprise me, With MLP and Transformers both being Hasbro properties there have been quite a few occasions where one franchise has referenced the other, such as this scene from Equestria Girls,

And also this one from Transformers, Age of Extinction.

• Brohoof 2

10 hours ago, Concerned Bystander said:

And also this one from Transformers, Age of Extinction.

That Transformers one was so poorly done it was embarrassing. They should have had the actor hold a metal bar or something, and then put the Rainbow Dash image over it. The actor couldn't keep his hands still. (Not really his fault) It's painfully obvious he was holding absolutely nothing. Watch how his hands move back and forth while he's supposed to be holding something with mass and weight. His hands are still moving when it turns into a gun. 

• Brohoof 5

I remember in Watch Dogs 1 you could hack billboards and it'd put a random text on them. In 1 or 2 those texts was a reference to bronies or Rainbow Dash. And there are also pony-shaped car keys in some vehicles

And also skills names in Borderlands 2

• Brohoof 2

11 hours ago, Concerned Bystander said:

I've playing through Fallout 4 again recently, and while exploring the Wilson Atomatoys Corporate HQ building I found the following in one of the computers relating to the production of their 'Giddyup Buttercup' robot horse toy.

I'm playing Fallout 4 too, and I missed this somehow. That's a great one.

In Injustice 2 there is a dialogue between Mr. Freeze and Harley Quinn (voiced by Tara Strong):

Harley: Can you make me a pony?
Freeze: It will make the twilight sparkle.

Spoiler

In one of Terry Pratchett's Discworld series books Death gives his granddaughter a gift set called "My Little Binky". Binky is the name of Death's horse.

85422.png

Also, it's probably just a coincidence, but in She-Ra and the Princesses of Power captain Sea Hawk called Princess Glimmer "Sparkle" and "Shimmer" a couple of times.

• Brohoof 1

4 hours ago, cuteycindyhoney said:

That Transformers one was so poorly done it was embarrassing. They should have had the actor hold a metal bar or something, and then put the Rainbow Dash image over it. The actor couldn't keep his hands still. (Not really his fault) It's painfully obvious he was holding absolutely nothing. Watch how his hands move back and forth while he's supposed to be holding something with mass and weight. His hands are still moving when it turns into a gun. 

It's not great, you'd think a top of the line CGI-fest like Transformers could have handled that a bit better.

11 hours ago, cuteycindyhoney said:

It was worth just to see Ashleigh Ball have RD react to it though

• Brohoof 1

The only reference I can think of is in TF2, when wearing a certain Halloween item, the Magical Mercenary, there are some new voice lines for almost every class. One of the most blatant reference is a line for Soldier, who says: "Friendship is magic, creampuff.".

• Brohoof 2

In episode 1 of Helluva Boss, near the end, Blitzo goes to pull out his phone and first pulls out a 4 legged doll of a certain equine variety. 

Helluva Boss Blitzo Render by KyoshiTheBrony on DeviantArt

helluva_boss_blitzo_render_by_kyoshitheb

Hmmm, that is indeed a pony. Should have been Derpy. :derp: Pretty cool to still see references like this being made. 

• Brohoof 4

2 hours ago, Kyoshi said:

In episode 1 of Helluva Boss, near the end, Blitzo goes to pull out his phone and first pulls out a 4 legged doll of a certain equine variety. 

Helluva Boss Blitzo Render by KyoshiTheBrony on DeviantArt

helluva_boss_blitzo_render_by_kyoshitheb

Hmmm, that is indeed a pony. Should have been Derpy. :derp: Pretty cool to still see references like this being made. 

Apparently he carries it with him inside his shirt lol

5fcc008cbffb6b32145ff1c30839a3983aba8aa7

• Brohoof 1

I went from loving "DC's Legends of Tomorrow, to ADORING IT! This is in season four, episode 1. Title: The Virgin Gary

I just watched the episode for the first time today. I was jumping out of my seat!

Edited by cuteycindyhoney
  • Brohoof 1