Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Whats better for drawing ponies?

Gearbox-Guardian

Vector or Raster for ponies  

13 users have voted

1. 1. Which type is best for drawing similarly to MLP:FiM style?

• Vector (Ilustrator, Inkscape)
    • Raster (Photoshop, GIMP)

I suppose it's dependant on what you're aiming to create. If you plan on drawing ponies with a style similar to that of the show, want to resize your final image, or don't have a graphics tablet to work with, then you're probably best off working with a vector based format. If you're looking to draw in your own style however, and are going to be working in large resolutions anyway for the sake of detail, then opting for a raster format should do.

Or you can use a combination of both as you see fit, which is what I tend to do.

I'm trying my hand at vectoring, which is a lot harder than I thought it was, I use inkscape, I'm having a hard time using it, do the sad fact, I've been stuck with nothing but MS (more like BS) paint these last few years. :(
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

Vector is better for faithful to show results, but raster is easier to learn and handle (at least for me), so that's what I always end up using.

If you have a tablet, you can vector as well as you can raster.

A very valid point that creates, if you have no tablet I guess vector is definitely the way to go. Since you have no pressure sensitivity vectors are just that much more precise. Edited by Zhinzo

Unless you wanna make something that looks like it was directly copied from a screenshot (in that case, go vector), this is pretty superficial.

Just try both and see what's more comfortable for you.

From what i've seen the show's done in Vector and alot of the stronger art is also done in the same format.

Don't get me wrong, it depends on how you use your medium and I've seen alot of cool stuff from other Gimp.

I actually use Gimp, then transfer over to Illustrator myself. But I guess it really depends on how you go about your art.