Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What's Better Rock or Country?

Cold Start

I have a long history with country growing up in west Texas, but it never really clicked as well as I would have thought. I still listen to it pretty often, though not my favorite. I'm pretty sure I feel about rock the same way. I know alot of metal heads, and have listened to plently of bands, but as I said before not really my cliche :wacko:. But to awnser your question... rock. duh. :lol:

I see where you're coming from, but I strongly disagree.

You can't judge a song by how popular it is, or how much money it made. By that logic, every musician that doesn't release albums and just performs live or plays as a hobby is utter garbage. There are plenty of great musicians who released great albums but never quite took off for one reason or another. Frank Sinatra and Dean Martin used to be some of the most popular musicians out there, but few people listen to them today. Does that mean that their music used to be good, but is not good anymore? Nothing's changed about their music, so why would the quality of it have changed?

The only way you can judge a song is by how much you, as a person, enjoy it. The amount of enjoyment someone gets from listening to a song boils down solely to what kind of taste they have in music, and there is no good or bad taste in music, just different taste. Some people like it when the music they listen to is raw and unedited, some like it when it's carefully processed to sound perfectly clean. Some people like simplistic, easy-listening, some people prefer huge, complex symphonies. Just because more people prefer something doesn't mean it is objectively better. The majority isn't always right, and in this case, neither side is right nor wrong.

I already accounted for that in my statements. But enjoyment can be measured, which I also said. Such as Dopamine.

This really depends on the artist and the listener. No matter how good it is, if the music doesn't speak to the person, then they won't like it. Some country really sucks (most of the "Nashville top 40" stuff like Carrie Underwood), and some is really good (Old Crow Medicine Show, Johnny Cash, Hank Williams, etc). Same with rock. Some is really good (Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, Nirvana, etc), and some is really bad (Nickleback). It is extremely hard to compare two entire genres of music. I personally enjoy both rock and country (there are even bands that mix the two. Uncle Tupelo is my favorite example). Where I live, Country music has a bad rep because you only hear the top 40 stuff, unless you actually go looking. I understand why some people don't enjoy one genre or another. Some music just isn't for some people, even if its not a crappy example of the genre. I personally do not enjoy rap/hip hop. Not because I think it is bad, it's just doesn't speak to me in the way Rock or Country does.

Bands listed in parentheses (...) are just my opinion and may not match every ones ideas of good music. 

I already accounted for that in my statements. But enjoyment can be measured, which I also said. Such as Dopamine.

I know, which is why I also said: The amount of enjoyment someone gets from listening to a song boils down solely to what kind of taste they have in music.

I know, which is why I also said: The amount of enjoyment someone gets from listening to a song boils down solely to what kind of taste they have in music.

Well yeah but I think its still measurable. Like what if they found out people who listen to country get less dopamine from country than those who are listening to rock who like rock? What would that data suggest if not that rock is superior for enjoyment? Well I suppose if more cortisol were released its because the music is more exciting rather than relaxing, so its still a bit complicated. So what if the people have the same cortisol response also, then it would suggest rock yields more dopamine and thus is more enjoyable, but it also depends on like personality and stuff. But it also depends on how broad each genre is what type of country what type of rock. SO theres many many variables to parse, my argument is its not impossible to do so. Even if its not probable or realistic.

Well yeah but I think its still measurable. Like what if they found out people who listen to country get less dopamine from country than those who are listening to rock who like rock? What would that data suggest if not that rock is superior for enjoyment? Well I suppose if more cortisol were released its because the music is more exciting rather than relaxing, so its still a bit complicated. So what if the people have the same cortisol response also, then it would suggest rock yields more dopamine and thus is more enjoyable, but it also depends on like personality and stuff. But it also depends on how broad each genre is what type of country what type of rock. SO theres many many variables to parse, my argument is its not impossible to do so. Even if its not probable or realistic.

I'm sure there are people who enjoy country just as much as anyone enjoys rock. Are you saying the study could determine which genre is objectively the best based on which listener got the largest dopamine boost? Would it be averaged out? Different people respond differently to different kinds of music. Maybe there is some biological influence; if that were the case, which side would be considered superior in that aspect? Perhaps it has to do with the environment they were raised in, same question to that one. You can't give a right or wrong answer to something like that. Nothing is just black or white, music is the least so.

I'm sure there are people who enjoy country just as much as anyone enjoys rock. Are you saying the study could determine which genre is objectively the best based on which listener got the largest dopamine boost? Would it be averaged out? Different people respond differently to different kinds of music. Maybe there is some biological influence; if that were the case, which side would be considered superior in that aspect? Perhaps it has to do with the environment they were raised in, same question to that one. You can't give a right or wrong answer to something like that. Nothing is just black or white, music is the least so.

Ok fine, I concede, because the conditions to test it will never occur.

And I understand the importance of different genres, but sticking to on egenre is sorta silly since each one has different purpose.

Edited by Lil Pip

Ok fine, I concede, because the conditions to test it will never occur.

And I understand the importance of different genres, but sticking to on egenre is sorta silly since each one has different purpose.

Like I said, I can see where you're coming from, but I believe, no matter how many variables and statistics you consider, someone's musical taste cannot objectively be considered better than someone else's.

Unless if the other person likes modern country music :^)

Like I said, I can see where you're coming from, but I believe, no matter how many variables and statistics you consider, someone's musical taste cannot objectively be considered better than someone else's.

Unless if the other person likes modern country music :^)

Well, thats where I will disagree.

Someone who only heard country, and says country is their favorite, and doesn't give anything else a chance, their taste is much inferior to someone who has diverse broad tastes. Its liek saying who has more experience, of course the one that listens to a variety does.

There is some country Songs and artists i enjoy (none of the Modern crap they call country), Like Johnny Cash, Merle Haggard, Loretta Lynn, Willie Nelson,Hank Williams (Sr.) and David Allen Coe, but  at heart, I'm a Rocker through and through.

Rock and Roll!   

Pink Floyd rules!

Eeeer, can't really say either, but I'll toss my hat in with rock, since I can stand some of the modern stuff too.

Country seems to either be a song about partying (tons of beer and girls) or relationship issues (drinking b/c of girls) or something I can't relate to due to being a city kid, even though I live in the corner of my city skirting farmland. At least with rock I sometimes find something to relate, or find some deep meanings (as with some alternative rock). The only thing country can sway me on is Johnny Cash. Gods he can sing :wub:

Well, thats where I will disagree.

Someone who only heard country, and says country is their favorite, and doesn't give anything else a chance, their taste is much inferior to someone who has diverse broad tastes. Its liek saying who has more experience, of course the one that listens to a variety does.

So, "broad taste" is synonymous with "good taste"?

So, "broad taste" is synonymous with "good taste"?

More experienced taste leads to better decisions involving music more often. Broadness is a part of music experience. Like for all we know someone could be listening to the 200 worst songs and not know it until they hear a greater variety of music, and when they do if that is the case they might change their minds. Like being raised listening to only your grandparent's elvis music, eventually you find out more music you enjoy like when checking some out on the internet once you have consistent access.

• 3 weeks later...

Country is my favourite genre, so I'm going to pick country. Although I wouldn't say it's better, I do prefer it though.  :icwudt:

I prefer rock. There's some country that a like a lot but I don't have as much knowledge of it as I do with rock. Let's say I love Allison Krauss and Union Station but Charlie Landsborough makes me cringe.

• 8 years later...