Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

music Is rock music dying?

joanro

"I have broken it down into 3 reasons but first I am going to thank Story Blocks Audio for sponsoring....."

No thank you!

When anyone is saying something is dying, like a music genre, or a fandom, it never is.

It only really dies if no one cares.

Rock dates back to an era when there were really REALLY good singers/performers, and really horrible hairstyles (or cool depending if you are into that kind of things). There will always be the fans of Rock,     and Rock is not hard to do (if you have instruments and a singer). So I don't believe it will die, or is even threatened.

I am currently sitting with Queen's original tracks, to learn more about their music style and other hidden techniques. And I am pretty sure there are others that still listen to old classics, and new people doing their own music on Soundcloud.

• Brohoof 4

It’s not dead if you don’t stop listening to it. Jazz is long gone in term of popularity  but that doesn’t mean I’d stop listening to it. Same applies to rock musics. As long as I care and my favorite bands are still making music, then it’s not going anywhere.

Beside unpopular genre is the best genre.

• Brohoof 2

Rock being the most popular music genre passed long ago, but what were modern hits at the time have become classics that will live on through the ages. Look at the Fallout franchise. Sure they had an old timey theme going but do you think they'd have given us that soundtrack if people weren't going to like it? Music comes but rarely does it truly go. Rock on.

• Brohoof 3

1 hour ago, Splashee said:

"I have broken it down into 3 reasons but first I am going to thank Story Blocks Audio for sponsoring....."

No thank you!

When anyone is saying something is dying, like a music genre, or a fandom, it never is.

It only really dies if no one cares.

Rock dates back to an era when there were really REALLY good singers/performers, and really horrible hairstyles (or cool depending if you are into that kind of things). There will always be the fans of Rock,     and Rock is not hard to do (if you have instruments and a singer). So I don't believe it will die, or is even threatened.

I am currently sitting with Queen's original tracks, to learn more about their music style and other hidden techniques. And I am pretty sure there are others that still listen to old classics, and new people doing their own music on Soundcloud.

1 hour ago, TBD said:

It’s not dead if you don’t stop listening to it. Jazz is long gone in term of popularity  but that doesn’t mean I’d stop listening to it. Same applies to rock musics. As long as I care and my favorite bands are still making music, then it’s not going anywhere.

Beside unpopular genre is the best genre.

27 minutes ago, SharpWit said:

Rock being the most popular music genre passed long ago, but what were modern hits at the time have become classics that will live on through the ages. Look at the Fallout franchise. Sure they had an old timey theme going but do you think they'd have given us that soundtrack if people weren't going to like it? Music comes but rarely does it truly go. Rock on.

First off, I want to say that I like rock music and I am not hating on it, but I agree with what he is saying. True, there will always be rock music, but will there be new rock bands to take the place of older bands? What happens when all the old bands are gone? Where is the fresh blood when it comes to modern rock? There is no new bands coming up to take the place of older bands like Green Day or Slipknot or (insert favorite rock band here). The classics are great and all, but I would love to listen to fresh new rock music by a band that hasn't been around since before I was born(*cough* 1987). Meanwhile on the hip-hop side of things, there are new artists coming up all the time. In the video, he mentions Travis Scott which I will be honest, I did not even know who he was until I saw this video, but look at the crowd he's performing to. He asks the question of what rock band formed within the last five years can sell out an arena like that? I can't answer that, but maybe someone else can.

The gist of this is just modern rock music is no longer prominent in modern pop culture. Look at the top charting music and rock is rarely found and if it is, it's by a band that has been around for awhile.

Edited by joanro
  • Brohoof 2

I think that the video is kinda wrong...while I can agree that music is not the same as before...no genre can really die as long that one person can remember it or likes it or listens to it

• Brohoof 1

17 minutes ago, joanro said:

First off, I want to say that I like rock music and I am not hating on it, but I agree with what he is saying. True, there will always be rock music, but will there be new rock bands to take the place of older bands? What happens when all the old bands are gone? Where is the fresh blood when it comes to modern rock? There is no new bands coming up to take the place of older bands like Green Day or Slipknot or (insert favorite rock band here). The classics are great and all, but I would love to listen to fresh new rock music by a band that hasn't been around since before I was born(*cough* 1987). Meanwhile on the hip-hop side of things, there are new artists coming up all the time. In the video, he mentions Travis Scott which I will be honest, I did not even know who he was until I saw this video, but look at the crowd he's performing to. He asks the question of what rock band formed within the last five years can sell out an arena like that? I can't answer that, but maybe someone else can.

The gist of this is just modern rock music is no longer prominent in modern pop culture. Look at the top charting music and rock is rarely found and if it is, it's by a band that has been around for awhile.

Are you simply here to rant about modern rock and complain how new band aren’t good as the olden days rock? 

Twenty one pilot and panic at the disco is your best shot for modern music under rock genre.Well in my case they’re pretty descent for a newer rock band. 

Overall  who gives a damn about what the music industry thinks or rated as what consider as “top” genre. some of old band are still making musics. Hell, My chemical romance just got back and Green Day are releasing their new album in 2020. It’s not dead, it’s just people aren’t into rocks  anymore as most are in the old days.  But that people, I personally don’t think it’s dead, it just not popular anymore. And so what that isn’t? 

• Brohoof 1

27 minutes ago, BornAgainBrony said:

image.png.0ea98b0cec3449c3e5c9c98d72465dc1.png

Well it’s true.  Most people are more into pop techno funky upbeat music now. Rock music are losing popularity because people like the new intake in genre and  I’m saying who cares if it does? Why should we care which genre should call the shot of taking the popularity crown? Those who say this “ oh ( genre music) is dead “ is either just worry it’s not popular anymore as it “used to be” or is just simply can’t accept that it’s evolving. The rock era is over but it’s not dead. Like how the jazz era has ended but people are still listening to it. It won’t die unless we stop caring. Period.

1 hour ago, joanro said:

Hiphop is newer, and Rock has had it's time to shine. Every boy used to want to be a Rockstar, that's no longer the case but that idea hung on for so long I think Rock bands drew in crowds that were unheard of at the time, it was a new level of extreme popularity that few could reach.

Rock is amazing, but it's not a significant part of the current culture.

• Brohoof 2

37 minutes ago, SharpWit said:

Hiphop is newer, and Rock has had it's time to shine. Every boy used to want to be a Rockstar, that's no longer the case but that idea hung on for so long I think Rock bands drew in crowds that were unheard of at the time, it was a new level of extreme popularity that few could reach.

Rock is amazing, but it's not a significant part of the current culture.

Exactly. Beside just because it’s no popular anymore that doesn’t mean it’s dead too.

Speaking of which, I should have play this song earlier. Billie explained how the punk rock era are over through this song.  “The last gang in town-“

(Notes I’m not using this song to make a point, i just think it’s fitting for this topic.)

• Brohoof 1

54 minutes ago, TBD said:

Are you simply here to rant about modern rock and complain how new band aren’t good as the olden days rock? 

Twenty one pilot and panic at the disco is your best shot for modern music under rock genre.Well in my case they’re pretty descent for a newer rock band. 

Overall  who gives a damn about what the music industry thinks or rated as what consider as “top” genre. some of old band are still making musics. Hell, My chemical romance just got back and Green Day are releasing their new album in 2020. It’s not dead, it’s just people aren’t into rocks  anymore as most are in the old days.  But that people, I personally don’t think it’s dead, it just not popular anymore. And so what that isn’t? 

I never said that older bands are superior. I simply just saying that I would like to see new bands take the place of these older bands, but it’s not happening and that is not really a good thing. By the way, I wouldn’t really consider Panic at the Disco a modern rock band. They have been around since the 2000’s. I was literally in high school when they got big. I am 32 years old now just to put it into perspective.

18 minutes ago, joanro said:

I never said that older bands are superior. I simply just saying that I would like to see new bands take the place of these older bands, but it’s not happening and that is not really a good thing. By the way, I wouldn’t really consider Panic at the Disco a modern rock band. They have been around since the 2000’s. I was literally in high school when they got big. I am 32 years old now just to put it into perspective.

People just have different taste and   prospective in rock now because it’s change.  Some hit it off right and some didn’t. Chainsmoker for example called themselves rock but all I hear is pop. Unless I’m missing something  that their definition of rock is differ from what we used to know. Dunno, not so great keeping up the trend. But overall it’s not dead it’s just changed to a different direction. Is it’s bad?  No. Can it be done right? Maybe.  As for modern vs classic rock, I  frankly don’t give a damn. Classic to me is before 2000 and modern is 2000+. But that just me.

38 minutes ago, joanro said:

New bands are never going to take the place of the old bands because it's a ridiculous expectation. There will never be another rock superstar again. This is not because there isn't new bands making rock, it's actually the opposite. Rock is so established now that the weight of the genre can't lie on a single band. Nor does rock need new superstars, as long as people keep making it and people keep listening it's never going to die. 

• Brohoof 1

Not really. Rock may not be as popular as a genre as it once was, but it has a fanbase and is still widely appreciated after all these years. I really don't see something as broad as that dying anytime soon.

Edited by Cash In
  • Brohoof 2

People have been claiming rock was dead since the moment it became a genre. It's been said over and over for decades. It's a cliche, and one I'm particularly sick of... we don't seem to say this about other genres, like blues or country or hip hop. The Black Keys put out a killer album this year, and Jack White last. You've got King Gizzard playing late night shows and Greta Van Fleet too. 

For the love of god can we stop saying this.

• Brohoof 2

9 hours ago, Olly said:

People have been claiming rock was dead since the moment it became a genre. It's been said over and over for decades. It's a cliche, and one I'm particularly sick of... we don't seem to say this about other genres, like blues or country or hip hop. The Black Keys put out a killer album this year, and Jack White last. You've got King Gizzard playing late night shows and Greta Van Fleet too. 

For the love of god can we stop saying this.

Not to mention there are many other genres such as heavy metal and emo that haven't been mainstream for quite a while, yet continue to have a massive following. Just because you stop hearing it on the radio doesn't mean it's dead. In fact, emo music is experiencing a revival in the indie scene in recent years, and metal is more experimental than ever since its peak in the 80s.

Also, Australia is experiencing a revival in psychedelic rock and bands like King Gizzard and Tame Impala has clearly shown that there is far more to the genre. There are also other bands like Arctic Monkeys, Screaming Females, Drive-By Truckers, Arcade Fire, and Muse, and many post-punk revival bands are still active (even if they aren't as well-known as they were in the early 2000s peak) like Interpol, The Killers, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, and The Strokes. Honestly, the only reason I feel The Strokes and other post-punk revival bands started losing commercial success is because of media pressure; back in the early 2000s, the media wouldn't stop talking about how they were going to be the "saviors of rock and roll". I'm hoping we don't do the same thing to bands like the Arctic Monkeys and Black Keys again – I fear that it would ruin them.

• Brohoof 1

4 minutes ago, Anneal said:

Not to mention there are many other genres such as heavy metal and emo that haven't been mainstream for quite a while, yet continue to have a massive following. Just because you stop hearing it on the radio doesn't mean it's dead. In fact, emo music is experiencing a revival in the indie scene in recent years, and metal is more experimental than ever since its peak in the 80s.

Also, Australia is experiencing a revival in psychedelic rock and bands like King Gizzard and Tame Impala has clearly shown that there is far more to the genre. There are also other bands like Arctic Monkeys, Screaming Females, Drive-By Truckers, Arcade Fire, and Muse, and many post-punk revival bands are still active (even if they aren't as well-known as they were in the early 2000s peak) like Interpol, The Killers, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, and The Strokes. Honestly, the only reason I feel The Strokes and other post-punk revival bands started losing commercial success is because of media pressure; back in the early 2000s, the media wouldn't stop talking about how they were going to be the "saviors of rock and roll". I'm hoping we don't do the same thing to bands like the Arctic Monkeys and Black Keys again – I fear that it would ruin them.

Music doesn't "die" if it's not played on top 40 radio. The best music often goes ignored by mainstream media.

I'm not part of the popular/mainstream music scene anymore. I was when I was younger, but I tend to seek music out in different places these days.
I honestly don't even know where people go to hear the newest and most popular music right now. Is it Spotify? Some other, similar service? Most of the radio stations in my town are far behind the times. Even the pop station, the one that tries to play modern stuff, sometimes plays music from as far back as the 90's. I doubt anyone uses radio anymore to get exposed to the newest music and music trends, so where are people listening?

The only times I am aware of what's popular is when a new music video or song is on the Trending page of YouTube. And guess what? Most of the time, it's rap and pop music. I think the last rock song to be trending that I can remember was maybe a song by Bling 182, and it wasn't a good example of their best work. I'm not here to say there are no new rock artists, all I'm saying is that I wouldn't know where to find out about them and they must not be what's mainstream right now.

But that being said, even if it's been a few years since I've heard a decent hard rock, punk, or metal song become popular; rock music is far from dead.
All music genres follow the same laws as trends. If the rock scene hasn't had a burst of life lately outside of nostalgia, then it's overdue for a new wave of popularity. Because trends go in circles, you see. A trend gains a lot of popularity, dies out for a while, then comes back around. Rock will come back around again. It might be a little different than what we remember, but it will have another surge in popularity again. All it takes is for the current pop scene to get tired of all the music that's hot right now, followed by well known artists brave enough to bring life back to rock or do something with it that make people take interest again (maybe reinvent it in a new, interesting way). Once people rediscover how awesome rock music can be, there will be competitors and other musicians/bands trying to do similar things.

P.S. Saw the video posted, thought it was kind of dumb. He clearly kept saying that rock was "dying" when he obviously meant it "isn't popular right now". You can't kill a music genre, and some of the examples he listed contradicts the points he was making.

Edited by Samurai Equine

• 2 weeks later...

I feel like this is just another "millennials are killing X thing" discussion again. It's not really true, never was true and won't be either. Rock may not be OMG SUPER POPULAR anymore but it is far from being a corpse. As long as rock and metal exist, I will be a faithful listener.

Good music in general is already dead, in the US at least. Europe seems to still embrace well crafted music from amazing bands, but the US? Seen something yesterday about some list on the news of "Top 10 albums of the decade" and they mentioned the top 3. #1 was a Kanye West album. That legit made me feel anger. Good music in the US is dead and buried, only alive in the underground scene. Now it is all about the most generic trash possible, whether that be country music or horrendous "hip hop". All corporate, no true musicianship whatsoever. The US general public only wants soulless trash.

1 hour ago, Kyoshi said:

Seen something yesterday about some list on the news of "Top 10 albums of the decade" and they mentioned the top 3. #1 was a Kanye West album. 

PsBattle: Hi-res, non-watermarked image of Harold the ...

well, we've still had amazing albums even if they aren't on the "best" lists of whatever website

• Brohoof 1

I gave up on the US music scene. Even if some "underground" stuff is decent, I still don't find it to be that well crafted. I've stuck to things outside the US like Europe and Japan. Though, I do have music from all over and I find it to be much better than what I can get locally.

[EDIT] Kanye West with a number one album? That makes me want to vomit. He's an egotistical hack with no real talent. That just drives me up a wall.

Edited by The Historian