Why "Applejack is a background pony" was NEVER funny

PCutter

(edited)

This is among my most hated things regarding the treatment of a main character on the side of the watchers. 

Applejack being treated like a completely unimportant and useless background character ever since The Last Roundup by the fandom.

These are a few of the idiotic defenses people make:

"It's just a joke. Get a life."
"Get a sense of humor."
"Super important event happening today. Only main characters allowed. All unimportant background ponies (ESPECIALLY AJ) will be forcefully ejected."
"AJ is from the southern US, the most useless thorn in the world's side."

"The episodes featuring AJ as the focus were just hallucinations. They don't exist at all. Ergo, she doesn't exist."

And especially the moronic action of running the "background pony jest" so deep down into the planet's core that it is not only unfunny to begin with, but that it becomes infuriating to even talk about it because it's overdone. This is a clear example of beating the dead horse. 

It's almost like she deserves to be written out of significance ever since Season 2 and beyond, like her family's story and parents' story mean nothing to anyone. It's almost like you're saying "Everyone's family dies at some point. It's not surprising anymore. Stop making a big deal out of death."

And all for what? I'll never know the reasons why. 

Bottom line is if you say she was never supposed to be in the show and that she exists to be eye candy, why don't you just come out and say it? 

Edited by PCutter

(edited)

applejack is my favorite pony along with pinkie. I always thought she had a great sense of morality right from the start. my only flaw I had with her is imo her rudeness towards rarity was a bit unnecessary, and a flaw she had that I didn't mind at all was that she could be a little stubborn.  I thought, maybe she was just TOO good of a pony to stick out to others. The writers probably didn't have enough to work with this stubborn country pony. anyways, applejack my beloved :mlp_smug:

Edited by cupcakery
  • Brohoof 3

OMG, I HATE that joke so much!!!:unamused:

As someone who loves Applejack, I find it very insulting for three reasons:

First of all, she's the MAIN character of the Mane 6. NOT a background pony! She appeared in almost EVERY SINGLE EPISODE of the entire series. Hell, her appearance goes ALL the way back to Generation 1, for that matter.

Secondly, her honest, well-rounded personality makes Applejack really relatable for a lot of people. Is there any MLP character in the entire franchise's history has a character who is honest, well-rounded, and a hard worker as Applejack? No.

Thirdly, even if you don't like her character and/or her episodes, you cannot deny that Applejack really did came a long way since Season 1. Her development is the most underrated of the entire series. Take a look of the episodes like The Main Attraction, Honest Apple, and Perfect Pear where Applejack's character development truly shines here. 

I mean, you can have whatever opinion that you want about Applejack, but calling her "the best background pony" is really uncalled for, in my opinion.

I mean, look at her face. Does she really deserved to be treated like this? Cuz I sure didn't. Show the girl some respect.:(  *hugs AJ*

Applejack_crying_tears_of_guilt_S7E9.png.293bf2d508ee51c90094f8b34ef03f5f.png

• Brohoof 2

Ugh #1 I never heard this "joke" but nope yeah I hate this. I like her honestly, she's not that bad. Now I decided whom I liked before I watched the show, but still her family tree gets more depth than almost any other. And WHY??? should she be treated this way, she was in gen 1!! 
This was definitely not funny, and how would all Applejack episodes be hallucinations for the most part if you really wanna say who's episodes are hallucinations I was say Pinkie Pie's even though she's one of my favorites. 

• Brohoof 1

Anypony who thinks that is honestly deluded. :mlp_wat: Would you also consider somepony such as Rainbow Dash a background pony? :dash: Or Rarity? :confused: Rubbish! :P She’s one of the Mane Six, for hoof’s sake! :wub:

I still legit remember when a fanfic writer I really enjoyed the works of back in 2013 had an obsession with suggesting how they should "phase out Applejack". :maud:

The hateboner for Applejack back then, I will never understand. She had to grow up as an orphan for God's sake. :mellow:

• Brohoof 1

I think you're taking what was always a joke a bit too seriously. :crackle: Me personally, I always found it amusing. :P Much like calling Fluttershy a tree, Spike = Rainbow Dash, Rainbow Dash skittles, Rarity a marshmallow, Scootaloo a chicken etc. 

• Brohoof 3

Applejack is my favorite of the main cast and I never saw her as a background pony. Of course, it’s just a joke and there is no need for anyone to get angry about it. Treating fictional characters as if they have feelings/exist can make people unnecessarily frustrated.

• Brohoof 4

(edited)

I never heard of this joke before (I watch this show since Dec 2020). I neither find this joke funny or take issue with it.  In my opinion AJ ( as everyone of the mane six) is a unique, awesome and non replaceable character of this show. Therefore I don't take this "joke" too  seriously.

Edited by Astral Soul
  • Brohoof 1

On 2021-05-17 at 1:49 AM, Warywings said:

if you really wanna say who's episodes are hallucinations I was say Pinkie Pie's even though she's one of my favorites. 

OHHHHHH so Pinkie was the background pony all this time, huh? It was she, her character and episodes that were non-existent then huh? It was she who deserved that status? 

Well whoop-de-do let's make all main characters the background characters.

"Twilight is a background character. So is Spike, RD, FS, Rarity, Celestia, Luna, the CMC, the whole caboodle."

Oh hey, here's another idea. Let's completely redo the show and call it My Background Pony: Everyone Is Unimportant.

The synopsis could be "In a land where nothing happens at all, there live background ponies whose lives are so uninteresting and insignificant that no one matters at all. Why? Because EVERYONE is a background pony."

Yeah let's do that so we can appease the "it's just a prank bro" crowd  >:(  :angry::Cozy::glimmer: (Note the completely infuriated sarcasm here)

On 2021-05-17 at 5:53 AM, CloudMistDragon said:

I still legit remember when a fanfic writer I really enjoyed the works of back in 2013 had an obsession with suggesting how they should "phase out Applejack". :maud:

The hateboner for Applejack back then, I will never understand. She had to grow up as an orphan for God's sake. :mellow:

Oh yes because not knowing your parents and being dysfunctional progeny is so much fun and is the funniest thing in the world. (also being sarcastic here for the sake of agreeing with you)

• Brohoof 1

Applejack is my favorite pony along with Rainbow Dash.  

I agree.  I don’t have much of a problem with the joke, but it was never funny.    She was as important of a character as the others.   

• The topic was locked