Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

open Rise of the Stars roleplay (1x1 with CatponeCerberus)

Lucid_Nightlight

@Lucid_Nightlight
"I don't think Discord could do anything to the windigos, or Equestria in general, they are not living beings you can just kill." Ember pointed out "They are more concepts than creatures, embodiment of a thing, they are not even physical, they are ghosts, fed by violence and disagreement." "I don't think anything less than a world peace would keep them away if they found their way to earth." "Though, seeing what is happening to their planet already, windigos could be more help than harm there." 

---------------------------------------

Ruby let out a deep breath, speaking was getting tiring, it was weird really, she wasn't exactly the most talkative individual around, but now that it felt hard to do so, she suddenly wanted to speak for sake of speaking. 

• Replies 492
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Catpone Cerberus

"I guess that would make them unkillable. Though they do seem to stay away from love and friendship. As... funny as it sounds, the elements of harmony seem to emit a lot of that, they could in theory drive the windigos away."

"Though, there are rumors of windigo sitings by Earthlings during the war, there are reports of them being terrified of going near Dasonians. These Dasonians view hatred towards other people as immoral due to religious values that are deeply ingrained into their society. They will go to war if they have to but ultimately prefer peace. They went to war against Fironia due to the Jackals being a threat and Fironia being allied with the jackals in the war."

"Myra and Sky felt Darkstalker wouldn't stop with Starlania. People like him never stop with just one nation."

-----------------

The guard would leave to continue his patrol. Quasi would have a healer ready to speak on his behalf to talk to Ruby about treatment. This was considered a way to avoid Ruby being forced to say yes to things when she wanted to not say that.

Quasi would go outside and return with the healer who would speak to her.

"Quasi has talked to us and he would like to know if you would like to go through therapy. He fears that your mental state is hurting you greatly and wishes to find ways to help you heal. He will still remain by your side as such a thing is not replaceable but, therapy could help cope with the stress in a healthy way."

@Lucid_Nightlight
"I don't know if something like that can really be terrified of anything, wanting to stay away from something doesn't always mean you fear it." "It could just be that there was nothing to feed on, I wouldn't go to a desert for no reason, but that doesn't mean I fear deserts," 

------------------------------------------------------

"I rather....rip my own...throat out....than put in words....what he....did to me." Ruby stated, well aware what therapy usually involved, this wasn't necessarily a no, but perhaps unsurprisingly, 'talking about it' wasn't going to happen easily "And no....I don't...want to lull....my mind with.....drugs either." while used language was what to be expected from her, her tone still told of her carefulness towards Quasi "You know....what would help.....with stress?" "Having........this thing....off." she pointed at the collar, she knew why it was still there, but it didn't change the fact that it was there, and as long as that collar was on her, she wouldn't be able to live one second in peace, because even without orders, it reminded about its control constantly, as it stopped her from trying to hurt or flee Quasi, not that she wanted to do either, but she could feel the limits. 

@Catpone Cerberus

"Maybe, it's odd though. If they feed on hatred, why haven't they starved in Equestria's long period of peace? Could the feeding on hatred be more of a thing to do with entertainment than needs?"

-----------------------------------------

"When you heal. I don't like that thing any more than you."

@Lucid_Nightlight
"Magical beings don't follow the same rules as creatures like us do." Ember pointed out "It could also be it's like sirens, they feed on something else to survive, but hatred gives them power." 

--------------------------------

Ruby just grunted, Darkstalker had truly gotten the upper hand in this, not only had he humiliated her, beaten her in more ways than one, he had also made sure that even after his defeat his victory lasted, and to add to that all, she didn't even get the chance for payback, this was truly her greatest defeat, and no matter how much she had wanted it to be the end, even that was taken away from her.

"What if... I won't?" Ruby asked, she didn't care who heard, since everyone in hearing distance probably knew what she was going to say already "It's no secret.... that it's... not known if.... my body can... fix this... much damage, after all... nobody has... survived... lethal injuries... before." that was probably the most horrifying part for her about this, the thought that she could be stuck with the collar until someone allowed her to die. 

@Catpone Cerberus

"I guess so, these creatures serve as quite a problem though. Perhaps the portals can be magically altered to not allow these things. It would take strong magic though. These portals are quite magically protected. And altering the portals without other nations knowing could cause a bit of a problem. The UN currently has power over the Equestrian and Earth parts of the portals. Starlania holds power over this world's part."

----------------

"You've improved a little bit. We suspect that healing is likely. If that fails, we can see what Equestria has that can help you."

"It's true we don't know for certain, we'll have to wait."

@Lucid_Nightlight
"If one is to go to those lengths, then they could just as well figure out a way to close them altogether, would solve all problems instantly." "And I don't see why Equestria should care about threats that leave their world, it's not like Earth is doing much to stop their problems getting to Equestria. Even here the only reason why they haven't leaked through more than they are is because Starlania is making sure they don't, humans are just letting all their weapons and criminals flow through."

Ruby let out a sigh, her next words were for Quasi only "*I just hope.... this doesn't affect...... the potential....... offspring.*" "*Promise me, that if...... it comes to it....... you will...... rip this cursed thing... off me... to save the.... egg.*" the hope of course was that it didn't come to it, and that she would be rid of it long before, but she was a pessimist 

@Catpone Cerberus

"Trade makes that impossible. If the portals close, economies will have problems. Countries they invested too much into trade could even collapse. Then theres the tourists that would get stranded. The world's get a lot of tourists from Earth, I don't blame them. Colorful ponies and Dragons and magic are not anything new to us, it's our life, it's ordinary. For Earthlings, it's something that has never been heard of outside fairytales and folklore."

"Maybe not the colorful pony part, they tend to envision ponies as brown or white as per typical color for those... non-sapient pony things. Maybe it's our equivalent to a monkey."

------------

"I... how could..."

Quasi seemed pretty distressed from the thought of having to choose between Ruby and the hatchling.

@Lucid_Nightlight
"Maybe one shouldn't rely their existence on something so unpredictable?" Ember pointed out "We don't know where the portals came from, nor what is keeping them open, as far as we know, they could close tomorrow without warning." "Nothing lasts forever, and many things don't last long, and not to sound like I have no emotions, but if you rely your well being on giant magical hole between realities, it's kinda your own fault if you get ruined when something bad happens." 

------------------------------------------------

"*I will not.... forgive you... if you force me... to live... to the detriment... of my offspring.*" Ruby stated, this was the closest thing to challenging Quasi she had done since waking up the first time "*I will.. refuse to live... after that.*" she had already failed pretty much everything, and having successful daughter, or even son, was the last thing left for her to hope for, and if that was taken away from her too? she would most likely lose it.

@Catpone Cerberus

"I guess. Though its pretty agreed upon that Gladia opened the portals and some animus dragon kinda made them a little too difficult to close. Could've been the one Quasi killed in the arena. Though, given all the magical villains Equestria has... I can see the portals being not reliable. Whatever the case, Equestria would probably just reopen them if someone closed them. The dominate governments chose that hill to die on. Americans want the magic and the oil from the other worlds, Equestrians want the technology, Starlania... actually they're ensuring self-sufficiency."

--------------

"I'm not saying I'd let the offspring die.. I just don't want it to come to that."

A couple months would pass, healers would keep a close eye on Ruby to make sure she was healing. Quasi would stay with Ruby.

@Lucid_Nightlight
"No doubt a decision Ruby insisted on, I disagree with her on many things, but the few political decisions she takes part in tend to be things I agree with, guess the lack of trust on others does have good sides." 

Ember used the time with either Arrow, Cinder or alone, the shock of the events started to fade, so she stopped with the busywork, though she did still offer any help she could, not that it was much. She was starting to grow inpatient, having to stay in Starlania this long, but she moved her thoughts away from that by planning her future and working with Cinder to try to find the source of the collar, Cinder had been hard at work trying to track the source since Ruby's rescue, but hadn't found anything, so she had asked Ember to pull some strings to help her.

Cinder had found something else, but didn't really tell anyone, she had requested a private meeting with Ruby, which had been granted, and whatever they had discussed stayed between them, as even reading Cinder's mind didn't get her to reveal anything, but whatever it had been, it had made Ruby greatly uncomfortable in a way she hadn't been before, though she too refused to tell anything.

------------------------------------------------------

At first not much changed for Ruby, though it was easy to tell her situation was getting on her nerves, both physically and mentally, her demeanor got more hostile as days went on, clearly fueled by her discomfort, and she started to let out groans and other involuntary sounds of discomfort more often, she would also shut her mind again from Quasi, hiding her thoughts and dreams from him. The nightmares continued, it was easy to tell even with her mind hidden, since her sleep was rarely peaceful, and she always woke up suddenly at some point.

It was after about a month from her rescue had passed that the machines could be removed, she started eating and drinking herself, and she even started moving a little, though little was the important part here, as at best she could get on her feet while supported by someone and walk few steps, it was partly due to not moving for a month, and partly due to her still weakened state. She was not happy about this, she felt humiliated having to be helped like that, and lashed out at anyone that she felt was pointing it out, except Quasi, towards who, she actually acted even more sheepish than before, if this was something the collar did or if her fear of punishment was taking over her, that could only be guessed, but it seemed that regardless of what Quasi did, longer the collar was on, less Ruby wanted to go against his will, be it from his own mouth or from somebody else's. 

As the couple months passed, things looked more positive, Ruby's claws and horns had grown back enough for her to sharpen them, though her horns were still quite short, and it seemed to make her bit happier, and she was no longer bed-bound, though she was still being watched closely when she did leave rest, as she was far from full strength. More importantly tests started to seem like that when it came to lethal injuries, Ruby had healed, and that while she wasn't yet fully healed, it didn't seem likely that removing the collar would kill her, this however was only told to Quasi, in case he wanted to play save, since telling Ruby this before actually removing it could make her quite displeased. There was also confirmation of at least one egg having started the process of being formed, news that were first shared with Ruby, and then with Quasi with her permission.

There were the few less positive things of course, first was Ruby's condition, while healthy enough to most likely not die, she was still weak, she had trouble keeping her balance, she was always tired, and she kept having bouts of ghost-pain of sorts. She was also still very much unprotected, because while her scales had started to grow back, they were far from being what they used to be, even for her kind it would take a while for them to grow back to normal from nothing, though at least there was enough to mostly hide her scarred skin. She was weaker in general too, the little amount of muscles that hadn't been badly damaged had weakened from lack of use, and it would take some physical rehabilitation and exercise to get her back to shape. 

Then there was her mental state, which wasn't great, to add to having almost nightly nightmares, anything that as much as reminded her of Darkstalker or her time with him made her very uncomfortable at best and in worst cases drove her in panic, though latter was very rare, and couldn't really happen until someone purposely pushed the topic. The former though, was worryingly common, and even something like the presence of a male Nightwing that looked even somewhat like Darkstalker made her uncomfortable, and Darkstalker wasn't exactly super distinct from the usual Nightwing. This combined with her constant tiredness, not helped by the nightmares, made her want to stay away from others as much as possible, though she expressed that she knew this was a problem and that she was thinking about the best way to handle it.

Then there was the meeting with Cinder, which had made Ruby uncomfortable in a new way, she had also asked to meet Enduur at one point, and while again the meeting had been private, Enduur had revealed to Quasi that Ruby had needed 'opinion from experienced mother' though that was all she told, but she had seemed slightly worried about something.

Ruby had also asked Quasi for something suddenly, she had asked him to ask his 'future seeing friend', as she put it, to come meet her in private, she had something to ask her.

@Catpone Cerberus

"She's improved. Not entirely healed but improved."

-------------------

Quasi would have a some discussions with healers about Ruby's condition. He was told that the collar can be safely but he could also play it safe. Quasi noticed Ruby's feeling about the collar and felt that having it on longer would be bad for her mental state.

Quasi would walk in with healers that stood at the ready to step in if something went wrong. He would then remove Ruby's collar.

Upon Ruby's request, Moonwatcher was brought in to speak to Ruby in private.

@Lucid_Nightlight
"So I've heard, but apparently she is acting even more unsocial than before, which doesn't necessarily surprise me." Ember responded "Poor Ruby, Cinder has told me a bit about that collar on her neck, I don't want to even imagine the things someone as evil as Darkstalker may have used it for." "Cinder has taken it as her personal goal to find and get rid of any and all creatures responsible for the collar ending up here." "She seems to take it very personally, as much as I still don't like her, she does seem to have some principles." 

--------------------------------------

The removal of collar went well enough, the removal itself was very easy, as Quasi being the 'owner', he could just open it and take it off without any effort, though Ruby did get few painful spasms through her body as he did, but there was nothing medically to worry about. If Cinder was asked about it, she'd say it was probably just the body reacting to getting control back, but that she couldn't be sure as she didn't have experience with anyone wearing one for this long.

For Ruby's reaction to it finally being removed, she was first in disbelieve, holding her neck where it had been, but after fully realizing that she was finally free, she actually got up and hugged Quasi, thanking him in her native language repeatedly, promising she'd behave from now on. She would be like that for few moments before seeming waking back to reality, backing off seemingly embarrassed and muttering something along the lines of 'let's forget I did that' 

When alone with Moonwatcher, Ruby spoke with quiet calm voice, she was still clearly more timid than before all of this, but she tried to fight it and be more like was expected from her "As a first thing, I want to apologize for not taking you seriously, I promise that from now on I'll actually listen when you have something to say." it sounded genuine, and it was, she had gotten more than enough proof that her 'visions' were true, and as much as she hated to do so, she could admit when she was undoubtedly wrong. "But that's not why I wanted to talk with you, I wanted to ask you something, you have lot more knowledge on the whole future seeing thing and, well, how many times does one need to see the same oddly specific thing in their dreams to call it a vision or a prophesy or whatever?" 

@Catpone Cerberus

"Honestly, I don't think her mind got away unscathed. Sure she's sane and can think logically but, I've noticed Sky's state of mind coming from abuse growing up. Imagine Ruby."

------------

"We don't see them in dreams mostly, we see them while awake. The visions just come to me, I can't control them well. The most likely things are the most vivid. And prophecy is something that is spoken out loud, these can be said in my sleep but also will happen when awake, they probably always happen when awake. When a prophecy happens, you can't actually control it. The words come out on their own. Nightwings can have better ability. There one long ago that was able to actually look at different possibilities."

"Visions are not absolute, the vivid ones are likely and the prophecies are very likely to take place in some form but, one could make different choices to change the outcome. A variable that one may or may not have expected could also change the future."

@Lucid_Nightlight
"No doubt on that, you could already see the effects of her past on her, this will definitely not help with that." Ember agreed "And with what Cinder told me, and with what I know about individuals captured by criminals, we have no way of knowing what besides the obvious was done, but it was probably horrible." 

----------------------------------------

"Aright, well, the reason why I ask because there has been these specific words that keep appearing in my dreams for some reason, they have been appearing for a while now, and I can't remember anything happening that would bring such wording to my mind." "So what is your more knowledgeable opinion? Should I just ignore it or do you think it could be something?" "I first thought that maybe it was one more trick from Darkstalker, but they are in my native language, and I don't think he got access to my mind well enough to make me think about something against my will." 

@Catpone Cerberus

"We can only hope things go well. Her pride was likely broken to some extent."

-------‐---‐-

"I'm unsure. In this world, only nightwings have such power and there was a case with a hybrid... that... evil one you probably wouldn't want named was part icewing. That doesn't mean it's not something to look at, it could be Equestrian magic, though I don't know much about it."

"You could tell me and I could keep an eye out for any visions."

Moonwatcher was timid also though, this was just how she was.

@Lucid_Nightlight
"That isn't necessarily a bad thing, it can be a bad thing yes, but it can also be good, it would do good for Ruby to be humbled a bit." Ember said thoughtfully "Don't get me wrong, she definitely should have not gone through what she did, but if we try to be optimistic, it may help her to become better." "Ultimately I do believe she'll get over this eventually, if not for anything else, then out of spite towards the world." 

"I know enough to to tell that my kind isn't know for prophesies, at least not in the current form, there is some ancient prophesies that I have no idea where they came from or if they ever came true." Ruby explained, she didn't know how much Quasi had told Moonwatcher about what Ruby had told him about her findings on her kind's history, so she mentioned what she felt was important "But for my dreams..." she then said something in her native language before continuing so that Moonwatcher understood "That is the exact words than in way or another appear, the rough translation is something along the lines of, 'Under the blessed gaze of moons, from the blood of death, twisted by fear's power, two will rise, a dark daughter with heart of light, and son of light wielding wings of destruction'." 

@Catpone Cerberus

"Humility is important, they say she doesn't like to talk about what happened and hates being reminded. No one blames her, especially since this was Darkstalker. Everyone is relieved that he's gone. I'm sure you heard the singing of patriotic songs and chanting when they announced Darkstalker's death and the victory in the war."

"I'm not one to smile over the fact someone died but I'm glad to know the threat of Darkstalker is gone. Even without animus magic he's dangerous, and he might very gotten his claws on animus magic eventually. Am animus can bend reality, if one said the right things, they could destroy Discord. Actually, they could just think those things too. Good thing is, no animus ever was creative enough to destroy the universe. Quasi made sure no more could be born. The seawings are mad because they like having an animus but, they have no real way to retaliate and by the time they do, the tension from it will die down. The Skywings support Quasi's move, saying that animus dragons are dangerous. The other tribes don't really care though, some icewings think it was a waste of potential."

"He still has animus paper, it's not like animus magic is totally gone but, it's controlled. With the paper being very well guarded. He plans to replace those however with Equestrian type magic that is less of a threat."

---------------

"I have seen something regarding... a celebration. Because of a hatching. I know you're having an egg. What if it isn't one hatchling but two. A dark daughter could be a nightwing that didn't inherit Quasi's scales this son did inherit his scales. Or will. It's possible that this son could grow up to become dangerous judging from this prophecy.:

"My advice is that you raise them to have a good standing morally. This could change the course of your prophecy if it is true."

@Lucid_Nightlight

"It's only expected Ruby doesn't want to talk about it, who would? we don't want to be reminded of things that cause us trauma." "For Animus magic, you can't get rid of magic, Quasi may have been able to deal with it for now, but it will be back causing problems eventually, be it in mere days or in few millennia, it will come back." "Magic is like any other natural force, it will evolve, that's why Equestria hasn't gotten rid of dark magic regardless of all the effort, it will always either come back or something new comes to replace it." "But I applaud him for actually trying to get rid of all of it instead of the usual route of making sure only the ruler has access to it." 

----------------------------------------------

"While not something I or Enduur have ever heard happening, several offspring is not impossible even if very unlikely, things such that are never absolute, there's always exceptions to the rule." "But there's currently no way to verify that, it's too early." "I also figured the light and dark may be literal, since otherwise there would be a contradictions." Ruby knew enough of things that she knew that light and dark sometimes meant good and evil. "I'm also not overly concerned about the destruction part, to use the vague language, it only makes sense for Death's son to be Destruction does it not?" "My concern is the part about fear." "It is safe to assume that I am the death mentioned, and while mention of blood could imply death, it is more likely hint at bloodline, since that's just how we speak." "So with that assumption, while fear could be literal, since as much as I hate to admit it, i have been fearful lately, it would also make sense it means an individual too, and I probably don't need to tell you who could be addressed as 'fear', if I am 'Death'." 

@Catpone Cerberus

"Someone made animus magic disappear once already. Gladia changed this. One theory is when the portals opened, magic from equus reactivated animus magic. An issue with that is the general force of Equestrian magic can't counteract something like that the spell was done, animus magic no longer existed. Not for that current generation, though the wording of the spell means future generations with the animus gene still can get the animus trait."

"Anyway, the theory isn't likely. I think Gladia chose for this to happen. It would explain why previously non-animous dragons got animus magic."

-----------------

"Though how could this... dragon influence your offspring? Makes no sense to me."

@Lucid_Nightlight
"It doesn't refute my argument, it came back, be it through portals or from Gladia's actions, it came back." Ember pointed out "And it will come back again someday, be it short time from now, or so far into the future that nothing alive today lives to see it."  "I'm simply trying to say that it's dangerous to dismiss magical threats just because you think you have gotten rid of them." 

------------------------------------------------------------

"He made me fully immortal, I'd say anything is possible." "He had full control, and even I don't know everything he did, my mind went numb after a while." "And for more logical reasoning, he got his claws on me before the process started, the egg or eggs started forming during my time with him, and biologically speaking, that is the best time to do something to them." "That is why I wanted to know your opinion on if this prophecy could in any way be...reliable." 

@Catpone Cerberus

"I'm agreeing with you. Honestly, I don't know how to prevent these this sort of threat. Quasi was smart to use animus magic to give is nation fighting chance against threats but... he didn't use it to guarantee safety for his land. Something about it leading to tyranny. Another prophecy well, a vision not a prophecy."

"This also means he isn't able to just give his nation lots of money. His plan? Oil. The oil here doesn't emit that atmosphere killing stuff, this has a lot to do with the portals opening. The first portal was imperfect and released a big burst of magic through this world. Nothing damaging thankfully. The other portals were more... magically stable after this one was stabilized. Quasi plans to sell oil to Earthlings and use it for all kinds of stuff."

---------------

"Keep an eye on them in case one turns evil, Equestria is pretty good at fixing that, try and stay friendly with them."

@Lucid_Nightlight
"a prophecy or not, I agree with him." Ember stated "Absolute power always leads to tyranny, those who are unbeatable will always become oppressors." "And not to speak ill of her, but would you trust Ruby with the ability to do whatever she can imagine?" "I know she has calmed down a lot, but she is still incapable of feeling empathy, and just to mention, I wouldn't trust you or myself with that kind of power either." 

--------------------------------------------

"You don't need to tell me how to treat hatchlings, I can just look into a mirror to see why my preferred way is unlikely to be a good thing." Ruby remarked, she of course had no experience in motherhood, but looking at her, it was pretty clear that her mother's way of upbringing didn't have good results  "Until you have something more to say about the possible prophecy itself, I think that's all for now, I thank you for your insight, and could you tell Quasi I want to talk with him." 

@Catpone Cerberus

"Quasi has witnessed tyranny. Before his time in the Rainwing Kingdom, he lived in a mountain cave in the Skywing Kingdom. This was when a dragon named Scarlett ruled the Skywings. She was truly tyrant. Made dragons fight in an arena for her own amusement, really loved killing things. Even eggs weren't off limits. No one really liked Scarlett."

------------

Moonwatcher gave a nod and walked out. Quasi would enter the room.

"How are you feeling."

@Lucid_Nightlight
"Even more reason to make sure he himself doesn't become one." "Very often the worst of the worst used to be victims." "Power corrupts, but power gained after total powerlessness corrupts even more." 

-------------------------------------------------

"I can barely sleep and I jump at shadows, but I'm fine enough, have been worse." Ruby responded, she still almost instinctually tensed up  when Quasi came in, but she stopped it, she hadn't yet fully gotten used to not having the collar. "There's something we should discuss, I'm not gonna sugarcoat it, something may have been done to the egg, emphasis on may, the only evidence at the moment is a vague prophecy in my dreams, and there's no way yet to confirm that it's anything real."  "That's why I wanted to talk to Moonwatcher before you."