Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Would you consider G5 to be post apocalyptic?

Denim&Venöm

G5 takes place at G4's end. The literal end it seems like. Set what feels like millennia after something caused the death of magic. Not just pony magic, but all spells, potions, artifacts and even mystic creatures have vanished.

And with no signs ponyville, manehatten, cloudsdale, or the crystal empire surviving and even Zephyr heights claiming what Cantetlot used to be, it's clear that whatever happened caused pony society to fracture and entire metropolitan cities to be abandoned, destroyed, then rebuilt with little remaining of their pasts. It's like the bronze age collapse if it was great enough to end 20th century civilization. 

Whatever happened, the world we knew ended and ponies had to begin anew in the aftermath. So would it be safe to call the world of G5 a post apocalyptic one?

Huh, that certainly is an interesting way to think about it. Post apocalyptic tends to give off a very specific impression, and it seems like the societies seen in the movie don't match that description. I suspect that there was enough time that the societies have already moved on. However, parts of Equestria seem very empty at times, so I guess you could argue that it depends on where you look.

• Brohoof 1

Um...post-apocalyptic is not the impression I believe the world of G5 is intended to leave on the viewer with how advanced some parts of it are. In the recent interview with one of the directors, he said that they were trying to "reboot the world", thus the absence of all the things listed. A better adjective to describe it, I believe, is dystopian, considering all the ponies were being brainwashed into hating each other. 

Is the term post-post apocalyptic a thing?  I personally think it needs to be given how many stories go the route of depicting a world that has apparently been destroyed, but subsequently rebuilt and takes place at a time when things have gotten much better.  Ironically, in trying to make things more lighthearted for kids, the implications rival the darkest FiM has to offer.  :D  Actually, speculating what happened probably demands its own thread.  Ok, I'm off to create that.