Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Favorite Episode, Underrated Episode, Overrated Episode, and Hated Episode

WildChildMirai

For both the favorite and underrated categories, I'd probably go with The Lost Treasure of Griffonstone. It basically feels like it had everything I desired in a Gilda return episode (basically confirming my personal headcanons from S1, plus having a really solid redemption), I like Pinkie and Rainbow's characterizations, the humor is pretty good, and also it does set potential for Gilda returning in future episodes even if the show didn't really utilize that. Yet it's never really one I see people talking about and especially considering Gilda's redemption being hands down one of the show's better ones I really feel like it needs more attention and praise.

Overrated I'm... not too sure, I like most of the episodes of the show (and honestly don't like the term 'overrated' regardless), but if I had to choose... maybe Slice of Life? I appreciate the amount of fun that the writers clearly had with the episode and what it represents as a thank you to the fanbase, but especially as someone who doesn't really care for a lot of the MLP fanon with the background characters, the overall plot feels too thin and "all over the place" to make this an episode I feel particularly motivated to go back to. I'd still say that I feel like The Simpsons' 22 Short Films About Springfield did this sort of concept a lot better.

Hated, I gotta go with Newbie Dash. It basically just feels like a "haha rainbow dash is an idiot" type of episode with every major character in it feeling like an asshole, and the fact that it's a landmark episode representing Rainbow Dash's goal in the series actually makes it end up feeling worse.

• Brohoof 1

On 2022-01-22 at 8:18 PM, Cash_In said:

Favourite: Hurricane Fluttershy. Fluttershy at her best in an incredibly endearing story. I could gush about it all day.

Underrated: Flutter Brutter or Gauntlet of Fire. I agree that Season 6 isn't one of the better seasons, but it had some solid episodes sprinkled throughout it. I know the thing that holds Flutter Brutter back for people is the fact that Zephyr Breeze is a bit of an ass, but I think it's good once you get past that. Gauntlet of Fire is hands down my favourite Spike episode. It really feels like such an achievement for the little guy, in terms of both story telling and the fact that it felt like some care went into the writing.

Overrated: The Times They Are a Changeling. Sorry guys, I didn't think this episode was great. I like it, but not nearly as much as most people do. Still, I'm sure that we can agree that in terms of Spike episodes, it's above average.

Hated: Non-Compete Clause. No episode in this show made me feel the same amount of pain that this did. Characters are written awfully and the story is a shitty repeat of Fall Weather Friends from Season 1, which actually was a pretty good episode, which makes this even more insulting.

Oooh boy the Times They Are A Changeling was a good episode, but I feel like everyone wants to suck Thorax's dick a bit too much.
I've also noticed that you have both of Spike's friends episodes in your 4 lol (Ember and Thorax)

2 hours ago, WildChildMirai said:

Oooh boy the Times They Are A Changeling was a good episode, but I feel like everyone wants to suck Thorax's dick a bit too much.
I've also noticed that you have both of Spike's friends episodes in your 4 lol (Ember and Thorax)

I actually like Thorax a lot, but the episode itself wasn't really my thing. Also yeah, I actually didn't notice that until you just mentioned it. To be fair, I do think Spike's friends are pretty good. Except Garble. He sucks.

• Brohoof 1

2 hours ago, Cash_In said:

I actually like Thorax a lot, but the episode itself wasn't really my thing. Also yeah, I actually didn't notice that until you just mentioned it. To be fair, I do think Spike's friends are pretty good. Except Garble. He sucks.

I wouldn't say Garble is a friend of Spike's but more an acquaintance, but semantics.

I don't hate Garble tbh, decent villain, decent redemption.

(Also can't help but ship Spike with Rarity still lol, but Princess Ember is a close second)

Favorite: Slice of Life. On top of being a funny episode, it was a big thank you from the show staff that did a good job of incorporating all of the side and background characters we gave life and personality outside the show. 

Underrated: The Cart Before The Ponies. I think the lesson that kids aren't always wrong and even adults need to be humbled is an important one. The mane 3 weren't that out of character here.

Overrated: Bats. Other than the entertaining lats half with Flutterbat, there's not much to this episode. Just out of character moments and a clunky coexisting with nature message.

Hated: The Mean Six. This episode could've happened in a vacuum. No impact on future episodes. No furthering Chrysalis's revenge plot. Not even a friendship lesson. The tree of harmony solves the problems without anypony realizing it and Twi smooths things over with a friendship speech. So much potential and yet, not a single thing of note happened. 

• Brohoof 2

On 2022-01-26 at 3:01 PM, Denim&Venöm said:

Underrated: The Cart Before The Ponies. I think the lesson that kids aren't always wrong and even adults need to be humbled is an important one. The mane 3 weren't that out of character here.

This episode reminded me a lot of sporting teams or school projects and how sometimes parents and adults are too into the activity to the point where they start to take over. I don't think it's a good episode but I don't hate it like everyone else does

On 2022-01-26 at 3:01 PM, Denim&Venöm said:

Overrated: Bats. Other than the entertaining lats half with Flutterbat, there's not much to this episode. Just out of character moments and a clunky coexisting with nature message.

Only good thing this episode was good for was..... the, uhhhh, Flutterbat....um, "artwork", and nothing else :blush:

Edited by Megas

"Winter wrap up" is one of my favourite episodes, I really like the song.

I don't know what people consider overrated or underrated.

And "The cart before the ponies" is one of the worst episodes for me. AJ, RD and Rarity act in a very uncharacteristic manner. They are supposed to be the adults, but their traits are greatly exagerated to drive the conflict of this shallow plot. Making it clear how little effort the writers put into it. I would go so far as to say is a direct insult to the equine spirit within myself, neighing wildly in discontent.

On 1/26/2022 at 7:01 PM, Denim&Venöm said:

Hated: The Mean Six. This episode could've happened in a vacuum. No impact on future episodes. No furthering Chrysalis's revenge plot. Not even a friendship lesson. The tree of harmony solves the problems without anypony realizing it and Twi smooths things over with a friendship speech. So much potential and yet, not a single thing of note happened. 

I agree, what a waste. Really wanted to see more plots involving the "mean six", but it was just filler, because the mane 6 never knew that happened.

Edited by Orchid_Fiore

• 2 months later...

Favorite: Power Ponies - I don't care for superhero media but this episode is just absolute fun in a bun and I could watch it over and over. It's a Spike episode that gives both him AND the Mane Six chances to shine, with a hilarious villain too.

Underrated: The Hooffields and McColts - Fluttershy showing her development to the fullest, and a relatable and important message, all with a ton of hilarious jokes.

Overrated: Winter Wrap-Up - I've already admitted that I don't care for this one. Twilight and later Spike got abused for a bunch of unfunny jokes and overall Twilight's situation in this episode is just one I don't like watching.

Hated: Amending Fences - Please god why

• 1 year later...