Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

books What books were you expected to like as a child but didn't?

Reecejackox

"Romeo and Juliet" and "The Gospel According to Larry" 

For the former, I  thought the deaths of the young couple were more idiotic than tragic.

The latter was about a teenager who runs a famous blog with a focus on antimaterialism and struggles with keeping his identity a secret. It was interesting, but not particularly relatable. Wouldn't actually discourage anyone from reading it.

• 2 months later...

It wasent one when I were a child exactly, depends on how you see it. More a teenager. 
There was one book that were about the ''savages'' in africa. HEY that not me talking the book was writen in the 1800s.

Did'nt even finish it. It was for English class but it was like a advanced English class one that wasent part of the school curriculum.

In the same class I did a presentation about Classic World of Warcraft. About 40 man raiding. Having to like discusse and to present both sides of the argument.

Some people might think it is embarassing to talk about video games infront of a class, and yeah a little but I think I were more nervous the emberassed.

It's rather easy, most of books that were considered "obligatory" in school.

It's not that I don't appreciate writing of old, in fact I understand its legacy and importance to modern literature, but in school it was presented like some unreachable masterpiece that's still relevant, not describing events of old or simply being inspired by those. 

That pretensious mindset made me dislike old literature however unfair it may be, because I was taught to see myself as some sort of half wit for having a preference to read for example The Lord Of The Rings (yes, it's old literature as well, but not in my school's opinion :laugh:).

My lime orange plant. It is a novel with autobiographical overtones, which recounts the adventures and sorrows of Zezé, a somewhat precocious but sensitive and mischievous five-year-old Brazilian boy whose virtues few see and many his defects.

I liked the themes and the values presented in this novel, as well as the main character and his imaginary friend. But the cruelty and poverty of the human condition surrounding the entire book was starting to affect me. Reading this novel felt like reality was knocking at the door. My mind started to run away from me. I would read a paragraph and immediately forget about it. Like when you are listening to something, but your attention is somewhere else. So, you have to rewind multiple times.

It is a good read with a relatable and teachable message. But it was a little too real for me.

Of Mice and Men - What a terrible book...I just hated the whole thing and couldn't wait for it to be over, and when it was, it made me angry at the ending

Handmaid's Tale - DONT...EVER...TOUCH...THIS...BOOK...don't say I didn't warn you. Let's just say it's about a society that takes a Bible verse WAY way out of context.