Did Twilight NEED to become an Alicorn?

Gaines

I first believed that she really didn't need to be an alicorn :mlp_wat: Even if Celestia was adamant about her becoming a princess, we know there is non-alicorn royalty in Equestria. "But then she wouldn't teach every creature about friendship for the next thousands of years (or however long she'll be alive)!" Didn't she open a school? And no, I don't think you need to be an alicorn to open a school :yeahno:

Kinda, it helps support the role if authority she would evolve into, her having Starlight as an apprentice was needed to, we could all say, "the school of life is always in session" but that would be true of Celestia to... Not just Twilight, yes Twilight had many more lessons to learn after becoming an alicorn, but she was destined to be the teacher one day and not just a student, and 6 seasons in, it happens, think the show is broken up into pretty good segmented areas... 1-3 acension to alicorn 4-5 coming to grips with these new abilities 6-8 her authority, I mean before she literally ran a school she had a pupil, Starlight is Twilight's biggest success in my eyes, but that's a story for a different post... She had to be a teacher before she could run a school quite literally, and then 9 misc "the ending" it's segmented better than people think...

I think her becoming an alicorn was more of a symbol of her diligence and knowledge, and her ascension in sacrifice and experience... Yeah I'm a lot of ways I think it's good

17 hours ago, Jeric said:

Did Luke need to become a Jedi? 

Midi-chlorians chose him bVuh5CM.png

Twilight wasn't born an alicorn. But in Season 3 Magical Mystery Cure, if she had said no, maybe she wouldn't have been able to come back to life (she was killed and went to heaven, kinda).

Personally I think that the reason alicorn Twilight didn't hold up well is because it happened too early. We spent only 3 seasons with Twilight as a unicorn learning about friendship (and still continuing to learn afterwards of course, just in a different way I guess) It's also because over the years the writers were changing and ideas for episodes were different from what Faust might have had in mind.

I don't really have much against Twilight being an alicorn, even though I prefer her earlier form of unicorn. I just think that something big like Twilight growing wings and becoming the princess of friendship seems more like a climax to the whole show than a climax to a season. I think would have been more accepted if Twilight was given more time to learn and develop her magical and social skills. She is the main character after all, and was set up as a magically gifted unicorn learning about friendship, it makes more sense to me if her "graduating" happened more closer to the middle or end of the series

• Brohoof 1

On 2022-12-08 at 3:41 PM, Jeric said:

Did Peter Parker need to become Spider-Man? 

---

1 hour ago, Megas said:

No she didn’t. Let’s be real here, we all know why they made her one in the first place 

Because the writers originally thought Friendship is Magic was going to end so they went with a loose version of what Lauren Faust envisioned? :ooh:

2 hours ago, Megas said:

No she didn’t. Let’s be real here, we all know why they made her one in the first place

yeah and no, I think it was the obvious progression of her character she was always intended to take the princess's role. 

39 minutes ago, FlitterFlutter said:

yeah and no, I think it was the obvious progression of her character she was always intended to take the princess's role. 

I do not think so. I think she was only intended to be a princess for the Hasbro toys and not content within the show for the most part.

17 minutes ago, Props ValRoa said:

I do not think so. I think she was only intended to be a princess for the Hasbro toys and not content within the show for the most part.

I'm sorry but I just can't understand how you could watch the first two seasons and not get the impression that Celestia was mentoring Twilight for the role. No other students of Celestia are shown to have near as much personal connection of the Princesses. If not to lead as a princess what do you think Twilights roll would have been? 

2 minutes ago, FlitterFlutter said:

I'm sorry but I just can't understand how you could watch the first two seasons and not get the impression that Celestia was mentoring Twilight for the role. No other students of Celestia are shown to have near as much personal connection of the Princesses. If not to lead as a princess what do you think Twilights roll would have been? 

I do not personally subscribe to the idea that Celestia and Luna would give up their place as leaders of Equestria. I will never understand how people can get behind the idea of Twilight leading Equestria, and not Celestia and Luna. 

We may never know. Things would have turned out differently for sure, but would they really have been worse? I mean, Twilight becoming a Princess was a key moment, and I think that things would have turned out differently, but things could also still work out well even without her becoming a princess.

On 2022-12-08 at 6:41 PM, Jeric said:

He could have become a Sith and that would have changed everything after episode six. I could imagine a dark alternate universe where Luke killed Vader and Sidious and became the Emperor himself (I actually heard somewhere that another person who could have been the director of episode six would have actually done a thing were Luke killed Vader and became him). It would have been episode three all over again.

Luke becoming a Jedi is good point, but I can say this - did Anakin need to become a Jedi? If you say no, then you might have been able to prevent the fall of The Republic and the Jedi. But then, Anakin wouldn't have been there to find out that Palpatine was a Sith Lord. Anakin wouldn't have been there to help Obi-Wan in numerous situations either. But if you say yes, then Anakin becoming a Jedi would have led to him becoming a Sith.

Ultimately, for the reality to turn out like it did in canon, Luke needed to become a Jedi and so did Anakin, so @Jeric's point still stands and holds much truth to it. But there are other possible realities (both good and bad) too that would have happened if a choice was not made such as Twilight becoming Princess or Luke becoming a Jedi. It's the butterfly effect in action, and I think that the finale of FiM season 5 is a good depiction of it.

• Brohoof 1

On 2022-12-08 at 6:38 PM, Props ValRoa said:

No. The princess arc wasn't needed either. I wish she stayed more down to Earth in terms of her writing.

I very much agree with this. She became a lot less interesting as a princess if you ask me. Her importance also overshadowed the rest of the Mane Six.

7 hours ago, EpicEnergy said:

Luke becoming a Jedi is good point, but I can say this - did Anakin need to become a Jedi? If you say no, then you might have been able to prevent the fall of The Republic and the Jedi. But then, Anakin wouldn't have been there to find out that Palpatine was a Sith Lord. Anakin wouldn't have been there to help Obi-Wan in numerous situations either. But if you say yes, then Anakin becoming a Jedi would have led to him becoming a Sith.

And this is why I can’t sleep.

Luke trained for a few days with Yoda and Obi-Wan, became a Jedi without having any of the dark side problems.

Anakin trained for years with Yoda and Obi-Wan…

Anyways. Luke had to become a Jedi, Anakin had to become a Sith. And Twilight was always going to become an Alicorn 

• Brohoof 1

nuh uh. And the term should be winged unicorn too. Alicorn is silly.

MLP is a toy property, and if you're a silly toy exec you cave to suggestions like:

"a pony-wing-horn will totally work!"

"but but what should we call it?"

"um, what is a unicorn's horn called again?"

"an alicorn?"

"omg that is what a pony-wing-horn should be called!"

Anyway, Twilight should be a leader. She shouldn't be a pony-wing-horn.