Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

I didn't really like season 7

MichaelWFX

I started watching the show a couple of months ago (no spoilers please for seasons 8 to 9 I didn't get to them). I fell in love with the bittersweetness of the characters and the episodes were all very heartwarming.  It wasn't a complicated plot to understand, it was just fun innocent friends learning valuable life lessons. It really doesn't feel like that in season 7, it just feels like the characters are placed there, here for no reason, and in general, it just became hard to watch.  There are too many characters that it doesn't make sense who's the main character anymore, while the actual main characters don't get any attention. For example, Fluttershy didn't really do anything the whole season besides yell at some people for not properly following her instructions and hanging out with discord in one episode. Did she even have a speaking role in more than 4 episodes? Does she even exist anymore? It's not just specifically Fluttershy, it's the whole mane 6, they don't even really interact with each other like best friends anymore, they just look like they are there because they have nothing better to do. The special traits of the main characters don't really feel like they are there anymore, maybe the writers are just out of ideas?  All the characters just feel nonexistent, I don't even know what I'm watching.

Although to be fair there were some good episodes, like Fame and Misfortune, Parental Glideance,  All Bottled Up, Hard To Say Anything, The Perfect Pear, A Royal Problem, Marks and Recreation, etc, but do you notice a pattern here? More than half of the episodes I mentioned featured the side characters over the main characters (The Mane 6) The episodes giving the side characters glory are somehow better than most episodes with the mane 6.  Also the good episodes with the main characters, Fame and Misfortune was great and featured the mane 6 getting along and focusing on the problems caused by their rise to fame, and that's all there really seems to be with the mane 6 hanging out, that's the only good episode featuring the mane 6 (Not counting Parental Gildeance because it only features Rainbow Dash). 

Also, the season finale felt forced, it just felt like oh no there's a villain hey let's stop it, this and that blah blah blah same ending as Season 5 a character getting redeemed. They could've at least given it some spark, maybe we could've seen something different instead of it being a  basic bland "villain" who is just redeemed. I don't know, the redeeming characters thing seems kind of useless and overused by now.   Maybe they could've done something like they did in the season 1 finale. For example, the gala was mentioned the whole season and they finally went to the gala! Or the Season 3 finale where Twiilight did something to prove her true friendship. I'm not saying it's a bad thing to have an action packed season finale, but it feels like there's no vision behind what it should be, like when Discord was introduced he felt like a useful villain, when Nightmare Moon was introduced it helped build the characters when Tirek was introduced it tested Discord's true intentions. When Starlight was introduced it helped bring something different to the table, like a villain who thought they were doing the right thing and ended up realizing they were wrong.

Also now that I mentioned Starlight, let's get into her. I don't hate her, I actually love her character, but I feel like they aren't giving her enough attention, if she's gonna appear in 1/2 of the season, she should at least be doing something else that isn't related to her past. Seriously, name a Starlight episode in either season 6 or 7 that doesn't bring up her past. Even the episode "It isn't the mane thing about you" which had Starlight in a minor role, still referenced her past, she already realized she was wrong, can't she learn something else? Also, why doesn't she just typically hang out with the mane 6, she kind of did so in "It isn't the mane thing about you" but she only seems to be there when Twilight wants or needs something, and when she does appear for reasons unrelated to that, she is actually entertaining. Like in "A Royal Problem" she did a good job at being Celestia and Luna's guide and it barely references her past. Outside of that, she doesn't really have much else to her in this season. Discord's also gotten pretty boring. He was fun at first but it feels like he has ran his course and doesn't really have much more left to him besides comic relief.

A lot of the episode concepts feel reused too, like Forever Filly, that exact episode was a clone of the one with Apple Bloom and Big Mac, just with Rarity and Sweetie Belle, not only that, but it didn't even give the same feeling that Brotherhooves Social did. "Fluttershy Leans In" was a clone of the episode where Rarity opened her boutique, but the difference was that it literally felt boring, it was hard to watch, and I wanted to sleep that whole episode.  Although some episode concepts were good, like "Once Upon A Zeppelin", but it felt like they were jamming too much content into it which prevented it from being enjoyable. Although I can’t really think of other Season 7 episodes that feel like they are doing too much at once on the top my head, it’s was definitely a pattern during the season.

All in all I didn’t like Season 7, I found the episodes just painful the watch and it just didn’t have the same charm the last 6 seasons did. I guess maybe it’s because by now almost all the classic writers left. If you liked Season 7, don’t let this post bother you,because I know it’s a fan favorite. I will keep my hopes up for season 8 and 9 though. Thanks for listening to my little vent lol.

The main reason I didn't like Season 7 is because it contradicted the lore entirely about Starswirl not having friends when he was a literal element of harmony himself, I loved the message with Starlight at the end and everything, but it's like there are just a lot of holes in thinking nopony would have known about their feud with stygian or the pony of shadows, like how did 6 of Equestrias greatest legends just "suddenly disappear" without anypony knowing about it in the slightest? Like especially the princesses? 

You know? I've had similar opinions on season 7 the first time I watched it. At that point, I was like: "Is this show still about ponies? Because ponies don't seem to be under the focus anymore. Now the show only focuses over changelings, dragons and other non-pony creatures, and ponies aren't even in the center of attention anymore! I miss the first seasons, when ponies were under the whole focus!" That's what I said to myself. But then, I found out that it was actually worth it. Becase if you keep watching the show, then you'll see that all of these non-pony creatures will find their worth in season 8 (I'm not gonna spoil the season to you, I'm just letting you know that this thing is worth it). So yeah, the ponies get out of the focus for a good reason - to prepare the other creatures for what's going to happen in the next season!

The thing is that school made me lose a lot of brain cells, and now I can hardly remember anything past season 5. But it's not a problem, because I'm rewatching the show right now - which is a perfect opportunity to remember everything from later seasons!

So Season 7 had a few bad episodes, especially at the end with the whole pillars plot. But let me just put a few episodes here that beat any other season, any day of the week:

• Rock Solid Friendship
  • A Royal Problem
  • Discordant Harmony
  • The Perfect Pear
  • Fame and Misfortune

Three of the episodes here even got their dedicated Bronies React, which were only otherwise dedicated to season premieres and finales. Season 7 was, in my own opinion, the best season of FiM.

• Brohoof 1