Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Ponies You Didn't Think You'd Like?

Meeps

When I first started watching the show, I didn't really care much for my current favourite pony: Applejack. I even sorta disliked her at times like when she became so overprotective of Applebloom or so overly stubborn and proud. But as the show went on and I looked into each character a bit more, I grew to love Applejack. I loved each time she would sing, I loved how hardworking and responsible she is, I loved how she likes to treat her friends as family, I loved how she's an apple yet she's colored orange.. and I began to realize just why she had those quirks I mentioned in the first place.

Of course she's stubborn and works hard every day to be somepony her family could be proud of. Of course she's so protective and caring towards what's left of her family. Of course she's the level-headed and mature one who seems to have grown all too fast.

Spoiler

... What orphan wouldn't be?

a5f838e105a8e698ccad0f5d1615b3aa-d5hgii8.png

• Brohoof 1

I didn't like Starlight Glimmer at first for who she was. Her vile motives and actions towards all of Equestrian life basically was utterly downright ruthless as a antagonist. For a character like her, I thought she was unredeemable, undeserving and felt better if she was to face dire consequences for her actions. I want to say that despite all of the terrible mistakes and intentions she did, she looked back at her old ways and she told to herself to give herself another chance through the help of Twilight. At that moment, she represented the most potential for good.

We see how much she struggled, tried and eventually grow from her old self. She learned so much, improved, acknowledged and applied what's essentially the thing that ultimately builds friendships from within the show. Within her portrayal and journey as Twilight's student to whom she is now, that's when I started to understand her and I've grown to like her for her endearing efforts and contribution as a friend to the mane 6. She looks out for Twilight and her friends, she gives them hope in times of doubt, she learns from them, relating back into her own life and she is now happy now after taking that chance. 

This is why I also find her to be the most improved character for me. Somepony to let go all of their past so that they can restart in order to have a better future. This is why I like Starlight Glimmer for whom she is now and not for whom she was. 

I also didn't like Rarity so much either at first. I found her to be melodramatic and posh compared to the others but she just sort of grew on me overtime. I understand that she exhibits a certain character that makes her unique. 

When I began to watch the show back in 2012. I never would have expected to like Fluttershy. I don't exactly hate her, but I wasn't a fan of her being shy and soft spoken nature. When season 4 rolled around, I saw her begin to change, in my opinion. Episodes such as "Filli Vanilli" and "It Ain't Easy Being Breezy," I felt that I could relate to her in kindness and her shy nature. I never would have expected to have the same fear of stage fright as her. Seeing her become confident, while at the same time still being who she is in season 6 made me like her as a character. While she may not be my favorite character overall. She has become my second or third favorite characters from the show. 

I didn't think I'd take to Pinkie Pie. I liked her design and being a sucker for cute and pink things I assumed I'd automatically like her character but boy, was I wrong. I started watching the show and she was just...too much. She was so energetic and talkative, it was almost draining, but my opinion of her started to change after 'The Cutie Mark Chronicles' and she's only continued to grow on me throughout the course of the show. I've really gained a new appreciation for her character and her silly antics. Pinkie Pie is probably my second favourite of the Mane 6 now, just after Rarity.

Literally every single character in the first episode.

I initially watched the show not out of interest, but because my friend who was brony challenged me to, so I didn't think I was going to like ANY of the characters.

I'm glad I was wrong.

• Brohoof 1

• 4 years later...

Honestly, it took rewatching Rarity's S1 and S2 episodes for me to truly understand her character and now she's my second favorite pony. :grin:

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I never thought I'd like any of them going in. I thought that they'd have no personalities or any endearing qualities whatsoever. Boy, was I wrong! :D

Edited by TomDaBombMLP
  • Brohoof 2

I only liked Pinkie Pie and Fluttershy out of the mane 6. I'm used to character tropes in other shows, so I expected the same here. But I quickly learned how good FiM and its characters are and started to love them all. :wub: FiM is similar to Hunter × Hunter, a show where basically no character is truly dislikable because of the good writing and all that. :)

24 minutes ago, ExplosionMare said:

I didn’t like Trixie until she redeemed herself with Starlight

I forgot all about Trixie! I started liking her for the same reason. 

• Brohoof 1

• 4 months later...

You could "technically" in some bronies cases say everypony, bc they had no idea how much they were going to fall in love with this show...

NOW, I know that's not what l this post meant, so if I have to be completely frank I think it might actually not be a pony at all, but Discord...

Believe it or not I despise Living Tombstones Discord track, it's so over played it sounds weird, I mean lyrically I guess it's cute, but it drives me insane and is my least favorite MLP fan content seriously.. I hate Smile HD to but that's visual not auditory lol... But that was only the start of it, I thought he was over hyped bc of John De Lance to(whom I may add did a great job as Discord) it's just Discord turned into something I hated and the peel back on the things that made him questionable and decided to make him ever more questionable, there was his betrayal in S4 and S9 literally makes me sick, a lot of times on other occasions he literally is just around to be annoying and as fun as he is at doing that, it makes the "Lord of chaos" more one dimensional than half the ponies IRONY... But I love To Where and Back and he had redeemed himself and showed some more of his true self, motivated enough by his love for Fluttershy he can risk being seemingly vulnerable/helpless, it gave him actual obligation for the first time...

As for Ponies

I also had no idea how cute I would think Sweetie Belle is, the sisterhood dynamics are fun, and I thought I would initially just see her as the "other CMC", but no she does things to cement her character despite the changing VA at least I think it does, sure sounds like it...

I have synopsis I could make for a lot of side characters and background ponies, but the Mane 6 I really fell in love with over the course of the first three seasons, really loved the CMC, the reform characters more than grew on me in some cases... There's just so many actual ponies, I am just taking into consideration the ponies centered around the plot..

Also I didn't include Gen.5 seeing as this was made in 2017... But omg was I wrong about some of the g.5 characters, I more than love some of them, they are joining my ring of favorites...

• Brohoof 1

Not a pony but a dragon - Spike. At first I didn't like the idea of a dragon being one of the show's main characters but I quickly warmed to him.

And it took a few years but I finally came round to liking Zecora. I used to really hate her to the degree that I'd cringe whenever she was on the screen. That rhyming thing really put me off for the longest time but I really like her now, but I still wish they hadn't made her say everything in rhyme.

Edited by Solar Power
  • Brohoof 1

I would say out of the mane 5:

• Rarity: At first she just came off to me as a all to much drama queen after the first eps in season 1.   Yet as show went on and I got to see how driven Rare was on her dream,  going out of her comfort zones for her little sister and family.   I came to find her as my top Unicorn!

The Filly Three:

• Sweetie Bell:    I found her kinda "whiney" at best when we got the little sisters and etc.  Yet she matured as the show went on and I came to enjoy her growth. 

Redeemed:

• Its a tie of of:  Sunset Shimmer/Starlight Glimmer:  For Sunset is how hard she tires to grow into a new person and help others along the way.  Starlight's tell it how it is insights and yes making mistakets to just show we all do and learning to stand up once more. 
  • Brohoof 1