Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

If my MLP AU was a real (i.e. Equestria apart of the real and modern world), what would car license plates look like?

CaliforniaSpeedKing

I have fumbled on this question for a while, but now I decided to come on here and ask about it. If my AU was real and Equestria was a real country, what would car license plates look like? Can be any design that comes to mind, but do note it would be a British colony.

• Brohoof 2

Considering how Equestria, at least in the english dub used the imperial system and english, it would be fair to say possibly Americanized plates, but long EU style plates come to my mind oddly enough.

Edited by sonata_fluff
  • Brohoof 1

The license plate can be very creative or just a boring white rectangle with numbers. For example I can imagine the licence plate have a picture of Equestrian Midwest or a portrait of Celestia and Luna

• Brohoof 3

22 minutes ago, Props ValRoa said:

They wouldn't have cars because ponies can't drive. It makes no sense for them to be able to drive. 

Idk, i feel like unicorns would be able to drive. I mean, if they can hold things with their stubby little hoof things, and can play piano with their stubby little hoof things,k why not holding a wheel? If they really couldn't drive, i think they would make cars special for ponies bc its a real state.

I think that license plates would look the same as they do now.

• Brohoof 1

Just to settle a few points.

In the United States at least, there are many areas where even a basic tow trailer requires license plates despite not being a motor vehicle. My browsing of a few things from Google seem to indicate that this is so that what is being towed meets road safety requirements, or at the very least someone can be held accountable should an accident occur. This even applies to some Amish communities, and they use horse driven buggies. Therefore, whether ponies drive or not doesn't matter, but how they interact on other nations roads does.

Also, your driver's license is likely not valid within another country. You can apply for an international driving permit, which looks to see that you've proven some form of competency behind the wheel, and having gone through the correct red tape, may result in the nation you're visiting to trust you to use common sense and abide by their road laws.

As for how the license plates would look, I'd assume an Equestrian flag with the Union Jack stuck into the upper left corner, or the two reversed.

• 1 month later...
On 2023-02-10 at 2:23 AM, SharpWit said:

Just to settle a few points.

In the United States at least, there are many areas where even a basic tow trailer requires license plates despite not being a motor vehicle. My browsing of a few things from Google seem to indicate that this is so that what is being towed meets road safety requirements, or at the very least someone can be held accountable should an accident occur. This even applies to some Amish communities, and they use horse driven buggies. Therefore, whether ponies drive or not doesn't matter, but how they interact on other nations roads does.

Also, your driver's license is likely not valid within another country. You can apply for an international driving permit, which looks to see that you've proven some form of competency behind the wheel, and having gone through the correct red tape, may result in the nation you're visiting to trust you to use common sense and abide by their road laws.

As for how the license plates would look, I'd assume an Equestrian flag with the Union Jack stuck into the upper left corner, or the two reversed.

What about us standard or elongated?

14 hours ago, CaliforniaSpeedKing said:

What about us standard or elongated?

Equestria was originally based off of North America, so I'd be more expectant of US standard, but they're ponies so maybe they can get something unique to them? But your AU occurring on a British Colony makes elongated possibly more suited given how needless it'd be to change local production. Using the same plate format keeps you from adding on or building a whole new manufacturing facility.

I'd have to read into the reasons behind the shapes of license plates to have more of my foot down and I don't have the time for that, but I'd be interested to know their origins out of random curiosity! :twi: