Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

7 minutes ago, Horseboy223 said:

Well, She needs to be teached a lesson to not be evil.

and remember in magic duel? When everyone was looking at trixie angrily because of the ursa major incident that happened again?

Everyone should do that to sunset shimmer too!

That seems a bit unnecessary. Evil can not simply be "untaught". Part of what I do for a living is study the human mind, and the very concept of "evil" is often misconstrued. In actuality, most of the time what is deemed as "evil" is often the result of people living through unacknowledged pains that have welled up inside. In Sunset's case we know this as well. "Evil" actions don't go away through punishment, they go away by correcting the source of the problem. When behavior is caused by unacknowledged pain, the only solution is to have that pain acknowledged.

It's sort of like how we see many killers were people who were abused as children and no matter how many adults they told, no one did anything. Punishing them resolves nothing except society's need to feel vindicated./\

• Hugs 1

16 minutes ago, Rarity Gemstones said:

I mean she apologized, worked to be a better person and earned everyone's forgiveness. 

She needs to learn a lesson!

So, Scolding cannot work for someone that turned evil?

Moments ago, Horseboy223 said:

She needs to learn a lesson!

As I said:

Punishment is rarely an effective method to learning lessons. It only creates taught behavior but not the reasoning for said behavior. In the book I wrote, I did a section where I covered some controversial tests that were done regarding fear. You may have heard of the test in question, it was called the Little Albert Experiment. It was very controversial but it taught us much about how the brain works.

To sum it up in simple terms:

A baby was brought into a room and introduced to several objects and animals. The baby showed no signs of fear toward any of them. However, after initially introducing the animals, they then started to make a very loud noise every time a certain animal was brought in. The baby would then start to cry and scream. Eventually the baby would then start to cry and scream the moment he saw the animal because his brain now associated it with the loud frightening noise.

Decades later, people believe they have found the man who was that child (though not completely confirmed) and even into his adulthood he had a fear of certain animals but no idea why.

The point I'm making is that learned behavior is not the same as coming to an understanding. In Albert's case, he only learned to be afraid of something, but he never really understood why. His behavior was taught, but the reason behind it wasn't. Punishment is not always an effective means to stop bad behavior, as it only teaches that if you do A then someone else will do B. It doesn't mean you genuinely wish to cease an activity, it just means you know what happens if you do.

Further evidence that I researched for my book was prison systems. Countries with the most lenient prison systems that focus on reform have the highest success ratio, whereas ones with extreme conditions usually have high repeat offenders. All the evidence points to forgiveness, rehabilitation and cooperation to be the most effective method for changing an individual.

I could go on more about all the technical stuff regarding how the brain works, but I think that would likely just bore everyone.

• Hugs 1

1 minute ago, Rarity Gemstones said:

As I said:

Punishment is rarely an effective method to learning lessons. It only creates taught behavior but not the reasoning for said behavior. In the book I wrote, I did a section where I covered some controversial tests that were done regarding fear. You may have heard of the test in question, it was called the Little Albert Experiment. It was very controversial but it taught us much about how the brain works.

To sum it up in simple terms:

A baby was brought into a room and introduced to several objects and animals. The baby showed no signs of fear toward any of them. However, after initially introducing the animals, they then started to make a very loud noise every time a certain animal was brought in. The baby would then start to cry and scream. Eventually the baby would then start to cry and scream the moment he saw the animal because his brain now associated it with the loud frightening noise.

Decades later, people believe they have found the man who was that child (though not completely confirmed) and even into his adulthood he had a fear of certain animals but no idea why.

The point I'm making is that learned behavior is not the same as coming to an understanding. In Albert's case, he only learned to be afraid of something, but he never really understood why. His behavior was taught, but the reason behind it wasn't. Punishment is not always an effective means to stop bad behavior, as it only teaches that if you do A then someone else will do B. It doesn't mean you genuinely wish to cease an activity, it just means you know what happens if you do.

Further evidence that I researched for my book was prison systems. Countries with the most lenient prison systems that focus on reform have the highest success ratio, whereas ones with extreme conditions usually have high repeat offenders. All the evidence points to forgiveness, rehabilitation and cooperation to be the most effective method for changing an individual.

I could go on more about all the technical stuff regarding how the brain works, but I think that would likely just bore everyone.

Oh, I get it.

• 3 weeks later...