Otaku-sempai

(edited)

5-Page Comic Preview For My Little Pony: Kenbucky Roller Derby #1

82771403262800111.jpg

My Little Pony: Kenbucky Roller Derby #1

Writer: Casey Gilly
Artist: Natalie Haines

Synopsis:

Lace up your skates, everypony, we’re heading to the Kenbucky Roller Derby!

After getting rejected from the local roller derby team, Sunny sets out to form her own team. Thanks to self-appointed team manager Pipp and her ClipTrot sleuthing skills, they find the perfect pony to join them: Tracy Tailspin, retired derby legend! And she lives right in Maretime Bay! Tracy agrees to help on one condition: Sunny must complete a super-challenging skating obstacle course. But with her sights set on the Kenbucky Roller Derby, nothing can stand in her way!

My Little Pony: Kenbucky Roller Derby issue #1 will be in comic shops on Wednesday, January 17, 2024.  

Edited by Otaku-sempai

(edited)

Diamond Previews solicitation for Kenbucky Roller Derby #2:

F_KB1R5W0AAkYGn.jpg

MLP KENBUCKY ROLLER DERBY #2

IDW

DEC231076

(W) Casey Gilly (A/CA) Natalie Haines

Give me an S! Give me a K! Give me an A! Give me a T! Give me an E! What does that spell? SKATE! Pipp is cheering her heart out from the stands, but Sunny's roller derby tryouts are...less than ideal. But Sunny created her team to give every creature an equal chance. Plus, they have the best coach in all of Equestria! The Mane 6 are going to have to pick themselves up by the skate straps if they want to have any chance of competing in the Kenbucky Roller Derby!

In Shops: Feb 28, 2024

SRP: $3.99

Edited by Otaku-sempai

(edited)

Equestria Daily has details for Kenbucky Roller Derby #3:

1.JPG

2.JPG

Artist: Abby Bulmer
Writer: Amy Chase
Synopsis: Tracy Tailspin used to be dynamite on the roller derby track. She could bean-dip with the best and grapevine with the greats, and she had the most legendary tailspin twister. But she retired at the height of her career, right after being made team captain, and nopony was ever sure why… Was it a hoof sprain? A team feud? An evil curse?! When Sunny's leadership style starts to remind Tracy of her own failed stint as captain, Tracy decides it's time to finally open up and share the story of her final days with the Dazzlebrook Dynamites. Additional Covers Offered: B (Starling)

Thanks to Sethisto!

In Shops: Apr 17, 2024

Edited by Otaku-sempai

I've emailed the following letter to IDW:

Hi Riley! 

I just finished Kenbucky Roller Derby #1 (it took me a while to pick it up due to the recent winter storms). I'm okay with another slice-of-life story, though I hope we have others in the pipeline that will be more oriented towards adventure and exploration. I don't think we'll be getting much of that from the Tell Your Tale show. 

Natelie Haines' art is charming, evoking Tell Your Tale without slavishly imitating it. Her layouts are fun and imaginative. Casey Gilly's script is solid with a single caveat. It's one of the same complaints that I had with the Camp Bighoof series: Too many of the secondary characters are nameless. The only Slammers who we have names for are Misty and Captain Buck. We don't know anything about our three mane antagonists except that one seems, maybe, to be some kind of pony hybrid? Maybe some griffon in her ancestry? 

I do wonder how and when Misty of all ponies made it onto the Slammers? There's gotta be a story there all by itself. I also predict that Misty might switch teams at some point after seeing how the Slammers have treated Sunny. I look forward to the next issue and hope some of my questions will be addressed.

Regards,
Andrew Laubacher 

• Brohoof 1
  • Party! 1

53 minutes ago, Stancet said:

So was the Kenbucky Roller Derby story good? I just purchased the first issue today?

It's a good start. We could use a a better introduction to the story's antagonists (like giving us their names). And it's a bit of a mystery how Misty is already on the Slammers before Sunny has even tried out for the team. 

• Brohoof 1

8 hours ago, Otaku-sempai said:

It's a good start. We could use a a better introduction to the story's antagonists (like giving us their names). And it's a bit of a mystery how Misty is already on the Slammers before Sunny has even tried out for the team. 

My name question might seem weird but is the comic still better than Make Your Mark? I've been out of touch with the fandom for a little while and I've been learning Make Your Mark ended up being a huge disappointment.

• Brohoof 1

3 minutes ago, Stancet said:

My name question might seem weird but is the comic still better than Make Your Mark? I've been out of touch with the fandom for a little while and I've been learning Make Your Mark ended up being a huge disappointment.

It is 100% dependent on who you ask, the comic was also torn to shreds by certain people even back in the day. You just have to be your own best critic, especially in this day and age where it's easy to get all kinds of false impressions from people online.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)
15 hours ago, Stancet said:

Yeah, I'd say that the comic is an improvement over Tell Your Tale. The comic also has more room to breathe compared to 5-minute episodes and that helps a lot. 

Edited by Otaku-sempai
  • Brohoof 1

• 4 weeks later...

My Little Pony: Kenbucky Roller Derby #4 Revealed - Synopsis, Writer, Artist

by Sethisto 

82771403262800411.jpg

My Little Pony: Kenbucky Roller Derby #4

Artist: Natalie Haines

Writer: Casey Gilly

Release Date: May 2024

Synopsis: Sunny has read every book about leadership, coaching roller skating, roller derby, the Kenbucky Derby, the history of the wh—well, a lot of books, but the newly formed Maretime Bay Brawlers can barely run a successful play. Pipp, hoping to boost their spirits, blasts some tunes and lowers the disco ball, and the team skates like a dream! All they needed was a bit of fun! But with the Kenbucky Derby just around the corner, Sunny doesn't have time for disco breaks. Additional Covers Offered: B (Dutreix)

(edited)

My Little Pony: Kenbucky Roller Derby #2 Released Today! - Download Links, Variants, Discussion!

by The Illustrious Q

My Little Pony: Kenbucky Roller Derby Issue 2 Cover A   My Little Pony: Kenbucky Roller Derby Issue 2 Cover B

Yay! Sports!

I know nothing about roller derby. However it's clear Casey Gilly does. And Casey's love for the sport shines through with every single page brought to life by Natalie Haines.

It might also be giving me the urge to go watch the sport in person.

So while I go look up when the nearest Roller Derby event is in my area, you can go check out this week's new comic after the break!
Digital Copies

comiXology (RIP) / Amazon Kindle

Variant Covers
Cover A by: Natalie Haines
Cover B by: Trish Forstner

Find a Comic Shop Near You
Comic Shop Locator
My Little Pony: Kenbucky Roller Derby #2
Casey Gilly (w) • Natalie Haines (a & CVR A) • Trish Forstner (CVR B) • Heather Breckel (c)

Give me an S! Give me a K! Give me an A! Give me a T! Give me an E! What does that spell? SKATE! Pipp is cheering her heart out from the stands, but Sunny’s roller derby tryouts are…less than ideal. But Sunny created her team to give every creature an equal chance. Plus, they have the best coach in all of Equestria! The Mane 6 are going to have to pick themselves up by the skate straps if they want to have any chance of competing in the Kenbucky Roller Derby!

FC • 22 pages • $3.99

Edited by Otaku-sempai

• 3 weeks later...

MLP KENBUCKY ROLLER DERBY #5 CVR A SHERRON

1.JPG

IDW

APR241123

(W) Casey Gilly (A) Natalie Haines (CA) Kate Sherron

Skates? Check! Helmet? Check! Knee pads? Check! The Mane Six have been training for the Kenbucky Roller Derby for... Well, probably not as long as they should have... And it's finally here! The team just found their rhythm, and they're ready to block, dip, and jam, but the competition is tough. Sunny is going to have to coach like she's never coached before, bout after bout, if they hope to make it to the final!

In Shops: Jun 19, 2024

Variant Cover: 

2.JPG