Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

(Question for both men and women) Which is better and which do you use: an electric razor or ordinary razor?

EpicEnergy

I'm curious how practical different razor types are and which ones are used the most. I use an electric razor, always have, but I know there's another type of razor I could use too.

• smile 1

Depends on what part of the body you are using a razor for (since some places have thicker/tougher skin than other places).
But I tend to use both a regular razor and two different types of electric.

If I have a lot of thick facial hair, the electric body hair trimmer works best. It's designed like a smaller version of an electric hair clipper; and yes, you can put guards on it. Helps if you want to keep some facial hair, but maintain it at a certain length.
Next, if I want a super smooth shave, I remove the remainder with a regular razor. I prefer a sports razor (3 blades and a pivoting head); it glides against the contours of my face so that it never leaves nicks or scrapes. ...As long as I remember to replace the blades every so often. :adorkable:
OR! If I am pressed for time, I'll use an electric rotary razor. Three rotary heads, and always pick a trusted brand. They might not give a super smooth shave, and you may have to go over the same spots a few times, but they'll get the job done for one day at the very least. Just be sure to carefully clean out the blade heads every once in awhile; and if that doesn't improve performance, then it's time to get a new one. (I also find it's better to use a rotary shaver for the dangerously sensitive skin areas.)

The only thing to keep in mind is maintenance. Get a good sports razor, and all you need to replace are the razor heads. Even some generic brands are really good. As for the electric razors, they can slow down and wear out after a few years, even if you do your best to clean them out of loose hair. For example, with body hair trimmers, you'll know it's time to replace when the blades feel like they are tugging your hairs off rather then smoothly cutting them.

Depends on what you mean by razor. I have to shave my beard maybe every two weeks. I used safety razor and really like using it. Then there are those normal Gillete razors, they are okay I suppose. Dont really like using electric razors.

Electric, but I only trim my upper cheeks and inbetween the eyebrows occasionally because my facial hair grows slow and comes in soft and whispy. Very few true whiskers.

I preferred physical when I was clean shaven because the electric would agitate my skin over that much surface area.

Both. I like the closeness of a traditional (and cheap) Bic. But an electric razor is easier and safer for some areas. I have an electric from the ‘70s that my mom gave me, it’s shaped like an egg and still works better than anything. 

• Hugs 1

Electric shavers are the best! I always use them for my legs. For my armpits I do tend to use regular and I hate it. Got myself good the last time I did that (yesterday). :(

Electric trimmer. You can go to an airplane without cans of shaving foam. Also wet shaving is always mess for me.

I have an old dangerous razor tho. More like a souvenir in memoriam of my grandpa.

I use an ordinary razor.

I've tried several types of electric razors in the past, but they have never worked for me. I have very fast growing facial hair, so even one day's worth of stubble would be too thick for it. I'm not sure if I was buying the wrong brands, or if it's just a me problem. :maud:

14 hours ago, Cash In said:

I have very fast growing facial hair

You could let it grow into a beard! A long beard! :kirin:

Unless you are like me and have itchy facial hair when it gets a little long. :twi:

11 hours ago, EpicEnergy said:

You could let it grow into a beard! A long beard! :kirin:

Unless you are like me and have itchy facial hair when it gets a little long. :twi:

I actually grew my beard out for a couple of months last year. I liked it, but it became a bit annoying after a while, so I got rid of it. :p

• Brohoof 1

• 3 weeks later...

I prefer ordinary ones. I do have an electric shaver I'm using right now out of necessity, and it works fine, but as soon as I can go back to regular razors I will. It's just more versatile and causes less irritation for me.