Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Rule that should be added to blank flanks

Nah

Then again, they could be just enforced to read the rules...

Honestly, it shouldn't be that hard.

I think the consensus is that you should read the rules before doing anything regardless of whether or not you are new. That being said, asking the moderators and/or the admins is the best way to know what you shouldn't do, if the situation presenting itself is tricky for you to handle or you are unsure of something. Otherwise, your content might be deleted or flagged without notice.

Also, regarding the "posting the same threads over and over again" part, would it be possible to show new members how to use the advanced search function right away?

• Brohoof 1

Then again, they could be just enforced to read the rules...

Honestly, it shouldn't be that hard.

We wouldn't even need to separate Blank Flanks from Muffins from Full Members if everyone read the rules. You are already forced to stay on a screen with the most basic rules for 30 seconds before you are allowed to do anything at all on the site. If you have a better idea for getting people to read them, I'm all ears.

Also, regarding the "posting the same threads over and over again" part, would it be possible to show new members how to use the advanced search function right away?

I'm thinking of putting a video tutorial series together for this purpose. That would, however, be a lot of work. :o

• Brohoof 2

Generally speaking, I think 5 posts would be fine. I've seen that on other sites, and I always imagined that to be a sort of unwritten rule for message boards.

Just because you enforce them to read the rules by adding a timer or having to click the terms and services things, they are just neither going to wait out the timer or click the terms and services link and close it, no matter what you think is going to work, they all can skip it.

Just because you enforce them to read the rules by adding a timer or having to click the terms and services things, they are just neither going to wait out the timer or click the terms and services link and close it, no matter what you think is going to work, they all can skip it.

That's precisely the problem. But I don't think you can say in good conscience that we, as the administration, have not done our part to make it clear that we have rules and standards on MLP Forums. As far as I'm concerned, we've done our job.

Now, with that said, the issue with Blank Flanks starting duplicate topics is a very real one, and I'll bring up the thoughts presented in this topic in the admins' Skype group.

• Brohoof 2

I don't like this idea, mainly because i left when i got to muffin. I came back and i see my self a active member now. (Though some of you wont agree -_-;)

Also the first 3 post on this forum was me starting my own topic because i was to shy/scared to post in one that was already made. If this was thing when i joined i think i would of ran away in shyness O_O;

Could I please ask the two of you to elaborate on those posts and provide some reasons as to why you like and don't like the idea?

Sorry.

I like the idea because it gives the blank flanks time to explore and see which topics have been created so that they can know which topics not to duplicate. Since they could explore, we wouldn't have duplicate topics appearing.

That's as far as I can come up with right now, Feld0. Sorry for wasting time.

How to get people to read the rules:

1. Hide several keywords in the rules. Just a few sentences throughout the rules that say something like "First word is User."

2. On the account creation screen, potential new members must answer questions about the hidden keywords. If they can't, they have to re-read the rules.

3. ???

4. RULES READ!!!

• Brohoof 1

This would be a good idea but it would also be better if a moderator was around to delete those sort of posts -- or redirect them to a thread that already exists and then delete it within a time limit of maybe an hour?

Also rebuking all of the posts made by the Blank Flanks so they just can't make posts all day and then get them locked while they still keep their post count.

Giving them a warning would be good too through via PM.

(edited)

Could I please ask the two of you to elaborate on those posts and provide some reasons as to why you like and don't like the idea?

it just seems unfair to me that all Edited by leo dash