Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Rule that should be added to blank flanks

Nah

Recently, I've noticed that many blank flanks are making new topics as soon as they join, and many are large topics (ex, who is your favorite pony, favorite episode, will Trixie ever return, etc), and I've been thinking, there should be a rule enforced, where blank flanks cannot create a new topic outside of the welcoming plaza and site feedback until they have either 5 posts (when they are no longer blank flanks) or more, which we can brainstorm how many posts it takes until they can start a new topic.

It will also have a bit of a positive effect, they might stay and actually become active members of the community, rather than join, say hi, show something they make, and then suddenly quit, it could challenge them to stay.

Who agrees we should start this rule?

• Brohoof 26

I actually agree with this. Once they get out of Blank Flank rank, the will probably know the gist of the forums and be less likely to create spam/ already made topics.
  • Brohoof 3

Phew, glad I ain't no blank flank no more. I did the same thing (back when I was young and stupid)

This one hundred percent Twilight Sparkle approved in my book.

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

where blank flanks cannot create a new topic outside of the welcoming plaza and site feedback

No no no no, please don't let them swarm this section :(

Disallowing them to create any threads would do enough

Edited by Dreamwalker
  • Brohoof 2

No no no no, please don't let them swarm this section :(

Disallowing them to create any threads would do enough

How can they properly introduce themselves then, how about a minimum of one post in welcoming plaza, feedback is for problems (as we all know), and they should understand that, hopefully.

• Brohoof 1

I can see a lot of logic behind this, yes. People don't need to be creating new topics, they can go post in one of the ten billion already existing topics. Sounds like a good idea to me, so far.

• Brohoof 1

How can they properly introduce themselves then, how about a minimum of one post in welcoming plaza, feedback is for problems (as we all know), and they should understand that, hopefully.

Feedback is usually where the good trolls go. Introducing a fake problem can really suck up a mod's resources in trying to fix said problem or trying to recreate it, but since it's fake, it won't work.

• Brohoof 1

Seems like it could be a nice idea, but I am always reluctant to add more restrictions :/

Although, I do agree with frenzyhero's idea that inactive blank flank accounts should be deleted. They're just taking up space.

• Brohoof 3

Although, I do agree with frenzyhero's idea that inactive blank flank accounts should be deleted. They're just taking up space.

Yes, it seems 40% of members are blank flanks inactive for months. :(

I am in complete favor of this. I also propose an automatic deletion of muffin and lower after X days of inactivity.

From what I heard, you cannot delete a profile on the forums. Maybe a ban yes, but no deletion. Love and tolerate. Too bad there wasn't a help option to show them where to post first before creating topics all over the place.

From what I heard, you cannot delete a profile on the forums. Maybe a ban yes, but no deletion. Love and tolerate. Too bad there wasn't a help option to show them where to post first before creating topics all over the place.

Try to access a banned member's profile. Can't be done? Yesh. Presumed deleted. Or at least out of our way. And I would imagine, it could be deleted.

I'm for notifying inactive members by email, is that possible?

• Brohoof 1

How does a blank flank get five posts to their name if postcount doesn't increase in the Welcoming Plaza? Are they going to have to make five random posts in Canterlot Castle then?

I don't really like the idea of restricting posting abilities until you have a certain postcount. It would probably only further encourage spamming and newcomers getting out of blank flank for the sake of not being a blank flank... or it would turn off those newcomers from bothering to post at all if they can't utilize the message board they just took time and effort to register for.

Perhaps a better idea would be to encourage people to lurk around the forums a fair bit before registering/posting so that they can at least familiarize themselves with how MLPForums works and what its community guidelines are.

They don't take up any space at all. I think Feld0 posted a while back that account data takes up only mere kilobytes, when his servers have gigabytes/terrabytes of data on hand. What if a person signs up, leaves for a while and then decides to come back and post again? It's not going to be very encouraging to them to find that their account was removed while they were gone.

• Brohoof 5

How does a blank flank get five posts to their name if postcount doesn't increase in the Welcoming Plaza? Are they going to have to make five random posts in Canterlot Castle then?

Have them make posts in topics that already exist.

Try to access a banned member's profile. Can't be done? Yesh. Presumed deleted. Or at least out of our way. And I would imagine, it could be deleted.

No you can access a banned member's profile, but they will never be allowed back on. I'm sure not deleting people's profile takes up memory on here, but if it could be done you would have to ask Feld0 about it.

They don't take up any space at all. I think Feld0 posted a while back that account data takes up only mere kilobytes, when his servers have gigabytes/terrabytes of data on hand. What if a person signs up, leaves for a while and then decides to come back and post again? It's not going to be very encouraging to them to find that their account was removed while they were gone.

Oh, I didn't know that. Nevermind, then.

No you can access a banned member's profile, but they will never be allowed back on. I'm sure not deleting people's profile takes up memory on here, but if it could be done you would have to ask Feld0 about it.

Normal members can't. I just tried to access Penislove02's profile. I think it's an RG thing.

Have them make posts in topics that already exist.

Oh, I misread. I thought your idea was they couldn't post *anywhere* outside of WP / CC until they get five posts, rather than not allowing them to post new topics.

Still, I don't like it. And if there's ever a problem with memory issues I'm sure someone on staff will post about it, otherwise, I don't think any members need to worry about that.

Normal members can't. I just tried to access Penislove02's profile. I think it's an RG thing.

Wait normal members can't access banned people's profiles? I remember looking at a banned person's profile a while ago. And what do you mean by an "RG" thing?