Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why are people so pessimistic about the future of MLP?

Twilight Yagami

I've noticed this in the forums as well as Equestria Daily. It seems that there are quite a few bronies who are sure the show will be ending after the third season if not sooner. I understand that the fourth generation must come to an end eventually but they aren't that short lived. And even if Lauren Faust is no longer the Executive Producer she is still working as Consulting Producer and she still has a strong influence on the series. Season two did just fine and I have no doubt that season three will do just as well. So why all the pessimism? :( Was Faust's "voluntary demotion" really that devastating or are we just weary of what Hasbro could do?

Humans are generally pessimistic, I've noticed that in many things.

If we can take the past as any indication of the future, then it serves well for us to believe that FiM shall continue for at least 6 seasons.

As a few shows that Faust worked on in the past lasted that long.

Now if we remember that FiM has a much bigger fandom than nearly any other animated show out there I think it would not be pretentious of me to say that this show may last longer than those of the past.

• Brohoof 8

(edited)

The primary reason for the pessimism regarding the show's length has to do with MLP being very close to reaching 65 episodes, the minimum amount required for syndication. The fear is that once there are 65 episodes, The Hub will pull the plug and simply run repeats. Given that 13 episodes have been announced to be in production for the third season, and the fact 52 have already been produced (thus garnering 65 in total), some bronies are uncertain if there will actually be any more episodes beyond the 13.

That is how I understand it, at least.

Edited by Thereisnospoon303
  • Brohoof 7

We don't want to see our ponies come to an end, if the Hub ever pulled the plug, I would probably smell a petition, who knows, they may have announced 13 episodes, but they may make a few more, you may never know (unless you have a time machine)

Well, look at SpongeBob. That has been on for ages now. Hopefully, with the amount of support FIM got, we may be able to keep FIM for a long time. However, all things come to an end, and maybe, they will start running out of ideas, but I will never stop watching MLP. Even in it's final hours, I will remain a true brony, and will carry on watching the series throughout my life. Hopefully, the next generation will be just as good (hopefully even better). And guys, remember, even though they have confirmed 13 episodes, there are 2 studios working on MLP, and only one studio confirmed 13 episodes. The other studio may still be producing.

• Brohoof 8

Ponies will go on for at least 2 more seasons. They make so much money that The Hub probably has a golden sauna in the break room. Easily, the series has potential for a great legacy, and great money for those who produce it. Look at the Dragon Ball Z fanon. It's survived for nearly 20 years.

And if they can have a show about green men and blonde haired people blowing up planets going 20 years, we can at least go 15.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I agree, the show comming to a conclusion does make me a little sad knowing it will happen in the future, but I don't think it's something to worry about or get depressed about, shows come and go, but this a fandom, something that will take WAY more to disaband.

But other than that only real thing I honnestly fear for the future of the show is the introduction of a human.... That would kill it for me. FanFictions are fine and all, but I don't think i'd be able to take a cannon human comming onto the show.

Edited by Gizmo
  • Brohoof 1

I think some people might be worrying they will run out of new material for the show. That's what i fear at least.

But who knows, maybe they have tons of ideas?

Well, if they do run out of ideas, they have a reliably creative fanbase to turn to! Just, you know, skip over the things deemed NSFW...

Humans are always pessimistic. To a larger scale, it's why we predict our own demise all the time, 2012 being the most recent one in history. We freak out, convince ourselves, then shrug and move on to the next thing once it doesn't happen. I feel this will be the result here, as well. The show is a global phenomena, so it's not going to end so quickly, considering the work and hype that's gone into it so quickly, and the fanbase that's been spreading the roots of the show just as much as the show itself.

• Brohoof 8

The Hub is a business in the interest of making money. it is doubtful that they would pull the plug this quickly. This show has too wide of an audience to simply wither down and die so quickly. There is simply too much money to be made from keeping it alive and well.

If they did pull the plug, they would be rather stupid to do so. Even from a business point of view. That and the whole community would be up in arms over this. Perhaps even boycotting and thus creating an adverse effect for themselves and Hasbro.

And remember, we lack proper information, until we actually know how many episodes there will be, we can be assured of our ponies.

• Brohoof 5

Ponies will go on for at least 2 more seasons. They make so much money that The Hub probably has a golden sauna in the break room. Easily, the series has potential for a great legacy, and great money for those who produce it. Look at the Dragon Ball Z fanon. It's survived for nearly 20 years.

And if they can have a show about green men and blonde haired people blowing up planets going 20 years, we can at least go 15.

That's what I am thinking. I highly doubt that a show this popular would cancel as easily as people are saying. The show will end eventually but I don't doubt that it will last.

(edited)

Despite rumors to the contrary, many people unconsciously enjoy complaining.

Their conscious thoughts are ones of dislike, but they continue to whine because of self-expression, which they take in as a positive feedback- even though their complaints often result in nothing, or sometimes even reaffirmation of the things they dislike.

Negative assumptions about the future of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic in this regard, is no different from the Team Fortress 2 buff/nerfing fandom (or any sub-pro gaming community for that matter) comic-book fandoms or movie followings.

Edited by Blue
  • Brohoof 1

Because we are unsure about the future (we don't know what they're planning, so that just gives us a blank idea about how it will go).

And when that happens, human natural instincts lead to pessimism, becuase we can't really imagine it being good, if we don't know what they will do.

• Brohoof 1

I am worried about it ending, in a few years form now that is. If you think about it, if we go to season 6, we have a few years to go, and besides, imagine all the money Hasbro and the Hub are making running the show.

(edited)

I'm curious to see how slow or fast bronies change their tune about the show IF there is a noticeable decline in writing quality and enjoyment. I can see the show being given a ton of rope if the episodes aren't quite up to past standards.

I would like to see MLP reach the mountaintop of animation quality and entertainment, then retire in all its glory. It would be hard to stomach multiple seasons of poor quality episodes or elements are introduced within the show's universe that are totally WTF worthy when we've already seen or are about to see the show's peak.

Edited by Doctor XFizzle
  • Brohoof 3

I personally don't feel much worry about the show ending - it'll be a shame there's no new episodes, but I'd rather a show end with a brief bang rather than a drawn out whimper, in other words while the quality is still rife. And even if the next season ends FiM, FiM won't truly be over due to the sheer strength of the fanbase allowing for the spirit to live on.

• Brohoof 2

Hub, at least the shareholders, know how much money the brony fandom makes. We raised millions of dollars within a year of existing. We have high traffic websites, the most prominent of which has a view count of 2/3 the entire U.S population. Many of us buy the toys or in some way, support Hub.

I'm not a pessimist. But I'm definitely no optimist either. It's numbers. The brony fandom is so deeply rooted in the western world that we're subculture. A meme that lasted a year with no signs of death. And besides, most shows with Lauren Faust behind them are both incredibly successful and lasts at least five years.

From numbers alone, Friendship is Magic was far more successful than the other shows Lauren worked on. And considering how much of an impact Powerpuff Girls and Fosters have made on late 90s and early 2000s childhood, Friendship is Magic will last at least another five years.

Remember, Hub is a company. And their shareholders want money. The logical thing to do is milk FiM until it can't be milked anymore. Sad, but that's the most likely course. But if FiM will end, they better end it with a giant, two hour extravagant awesome epic super movie that will leave a lasting impact for second decade of the 21st century. Make it define the 2010s in terms of animation.

• Brohoof 3

I'm not worried about the show. We could get up to 5 seasons. It really depends how profitable it remains for Hasbro. No matter what, MLP will live on in our hearts and most likely in reruns for generations to come. Don't worry, be happy!

• Brohoof 1