Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

“Latest Posts” tab in the sidebar?

Nas

(edited)

Yes, I would like to see Forum-relevant ADs. But not stuck in various places all crazy like (I haven't even seen the Octavia one, so Chrome must flag it as an AD and auto-remove it). Instead, use the area where the cute Fluttershy is for a scrolling banner (like it was previously). That space is fairly out of the way, and most people are already used to that section being eaten up by a Donation AD.

As an example; you mentioned elsewhere that the Commission section needs attention ... well, why isn't that displayed as part of the scrolling banner? If this forum ever starts to delve into original content creation (like mentioned elsewhere, ex. YouTube), then that would also be a perfect place.

I actually do agree with this scrolling banner idea. That thing needs updating anyway, doesn't it, Feldy? Your new NEW server is cheaper than the last one, and the subscribing news is getting old at this point.

Edited by ~Chaotic Discord~

Would it ever be possible for us to arrange and personalize how our sidebar is organized? Like drag them to where we want in order from top to bottom? I for one do not like having the statuses above it, but the majority do. I have the donations, birthdays, and calender all minimized, yet it just doesn't feel right to me.

Yes, I would like to see Forum-relevant ADs. But not stuck in various places all crazy like (I haven't even seen the Octavia one, so Chrome must flag it as an AD and auto-remove it). Instead, use the area where the cute Fluttershy is for a scrolling banner (like it was previously). That space is fairly out of the way, and most people are already used to that section being eaten up by a Donation AD.

As an example; you mentioned elsewhere that the Commission section needs attention ... well, why isn't that displayed as part of the scrolling banner? If this forum ever starts to delve into original content creation (like mentioned elsewhere, ex. YouTube), then that would also be a perfect place.

As for that Recent Post hook ... personally, I find it to be terrible. The site gets so many posts per hour, that the rate at which it scrolls is just not helpful. The feature takes up space and adds little (if any) actual benefit.

Although I do thank you for moving it to the bottom. At least there I can ignore it, so that it doesn't bother me and people who like it can continue on enjoying it.

One thing I've thought of ages ago was having the interface slightly customizable via user settings. For example, being able to move in what positions those side bars (New Posts, New Topics, Recent Status Updates, etc) appear, which ones to make visible (not just minimized / maximized), and perhaps even more themes, skins, and banner options. This would make the forum-ing experience for each person far more comfortable.

As for the actuality of this idea, I doubt that the IP.Board can do that ... and if so, that the hook(s) needed would have to be created ... quite the task.

But I can dream, right?

The whole point of putting an ad in a "crazy" place is to make people notice it. If it's too out of the way, not as many people are going to be aware of whatever it is advertising. The sidebar is still a relatively mundane place to put it - we don't do pop-ups, pop-unders, full-screen ads, or anything with sound here. Those are truly crazy ways to do advertising and what spawned the proliferation of ad blockers to begin with.

As for letting users rearranging the sidebar, I like the sound of that but there's no easy way to do it in IP.Board, unfortunately. A hook to do it would be most useful, but will require custom development.

I actually do agree with this scrolling banner idea. That thing needs updating anyway, doesn't it, Feldy? Your new NEW server is cheaper than the last one, and the subscribing news is getting old at this point.

We're not getting a lot of subscriptions, which is why it's still up there. And judging by the responses to this thread, hardly anyone even notices it there, which is why I tried to advertise in the sidebar for once. http://mlpforums.com/public/style_emoticons/default/dry.png So far, the sidebar has proven a fair bit more effective, to be honest.

I've got a new banner for the news ticker scheduled to go up on July 6, though. I expect most of you are going to quite enjoy it. ^_^

• Brohoof 2

The whole point of putting an ad in a "crazy" place is to make people notice it. If it's too out of the way, not as many people are going to be aware of whatever it is advertising. The sidebar is still a relatively mundane place to put it - we don't do pop-ups, pop-unders, full-screen ads, or anything with sound here. Those are truly crazy ways to do advertising and what spawned the proliferation of ad blockers to begin with.

As for letting users rearranging the sidebar, I like the sound of that but there's no easy way to do it in IP.Board, unfortunately. A hook to do it would be most useful, but will require custom development.

We're not getting a lot of subscriptions, which is why it's still up there. And judging by the responses to this thread, hardly anyone even notices it there, which is why I tried to advertise in the sidebar for once. http://mlpforums.com/public/style_emoticons/default/dry.png So far, the sidebar has proven a fair bit more effective, to be honest.

I've got a new banner for the news ticker scheduled to go up on July 6, though. I expect most of you are going to quite enjoy it. ^_^

Some people act like it doesn't even show up for them xD It's always been there for me, though. Oh well, lol.

Hmm... after having it up for a couple of days and seeing the mixed reactions, I think I'm going to put up a poll asking whether to keep it or not.

If you want it to be accurate, my vote has to be worth 4000% more.