Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

The IDW Friendship is Magic pre-comic discussion

Captain Marvelous

16 users have voted

1. 1. IF IDW did a collaboration crossover with another of their comics, which do you want it to be (name one if not listed)

• Transformers
    • Doctor Who
    • Star Trek
    • 30 days of nights
    • GI Joe
    • Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
    • Silent Hill
    • Jurassic Park

(edited)

So as we all heard Friendship is Magic will be receiving a comic book adaptation...

so before the series begins, what are somethings you would like to see in it...

just to get somethings out of the way

The comic book isn't bound to a commercial as the show is, so we won't be seeing anything forced into the story that probably shouldn't.

As a comic we will probably be getting story arcs, so more to be continues then the show

Even though it's still a kids comic, comics still don't have the same limitations as they do for the show, so we could see some romance between characters (though no lespony action, whatcha think this is japan?) and it is possible we could get character death (hey happened to Knuckles,)... heck we could get evil ponies based on the four horsemen and actually referenced as that

now my thoughts

I can picture the first couple of issues will be the retelling of the Nightmare Moon arc (perhaps a bit more depth)

Then after that, the story will more than likely travel off into telling it's own way, making it AU to the tv show (this way, we can avoid all spoilers)

Heck, I could even imagine a micro-series for characters. for Celestia in particular, they might even show what went down between her and the night she sealed Luna/Nightmare Moon away...

So I admit the IDW might be something Friendship is Magic just might need

Also...

I'm already picturing all the fan-mail pouring in asking the artists if Derpy will make an appearance (which they could make her a regular if they wanted) so take that as you will

Edited by Captain Marvelous

well i think if they did start a comic it would likly be tailored towards bronies so there would likely be a mainstory than near the back a side story (maybe with the background ponies.

but i dont think it will be anything special and not somthing i would see when i pop into my local comicbook store because i would be worried if i saw a MLP comic right next to the Punisher and Aquaman.

i think a weekly magazine would be a wiser choice if there isnt one already.

(edited)

No guarantee that the comics will be geared to Bronies, but that's what I hope for as well.

But for Bronies or for kids, the writers will be breaking new ground. New villains and situations will need to be introduced. And as other comic/TV series prove, one can influence the latter. Take for example the Batman series. Harley Quin was introduced into the cartoon as a lark and stole the show, She ended up in the more serious comics.

Comics tend to be monthly, So the show will be the more prolific provider of content with 26/year. YET. That could change. Lets say that the comics take off. that means spin offs like the "Rainbow Dash and the Wonderbolts!." Short series like Twilight and the Sorcerer's Stone. And even one time comics like Luna's First Christmas.

Of course the greatest strength of comics is the recurring villain. Trixie will be the series own Joker (that's Great and Powerful Joker!). And there is the freedom to do things you can't on TV, like let the villains do some really nasty stuff. I look forward to see more heroics with the elements of harmony.

One last thought. Comics are closer to the fan. Our ideas and letters will reach the producers and writers with much greater ease.

Edited by Silverhoof

Frank Miller should make it.

Tons of pretentious personal commentary by Twilight.

"Pinkie. Every day. Every day she acts this way. Why? Why Pinkie? Every day you act this way Pinkie."

Cherry Jubilees brothel filled with drug-addled ponies with the mane six being chain smoking 90s anti heroes.

Awww yeah.

I'm just glad to see comics are being made for the show, period. Part of the reason Sonic the Hedgehog is still going after twenty years is partially thanks to the Archie Comics' Sonic series that's been going for years and years. If the comic series for MLP is well-done, it will do nothing but aid the show by giving it another media medium of which to reel in fans.

Seeing as how they already have John de Lancie on the ropes, it would not only be logical (hehe, Spock things) but also to really mix in the Star Trek universe with MLP. Discord's character may serve greater purpose, then.

• 1 month later...

summary of the first part of the four part first story arc

Welcome to Ponyville, home of Twilight Sparkle, Rainbow Dash, Rarity, Fluttershy, Pinkie Pie, Applejack, and all your other favorite Ponies! Something’s not right in the town though, as some of the inhabitants are acting very, very strange! It’s up to the Mane Six to find the source of the weirdness before it’s too late!

and for you collectors, there will be plenty of multi-covered issues for you guys to purchase

Well I'm not really into comics, but I'd think a crossover of Silent Hill would be pretty amazing. Although it might be a bit too out of place for a show targeted towards 8 year old girls.

~~

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I looked up IDW Publishing to see if I could get some information on them. Didn't get a whole lot.

They used to make horror-based comics, but at some point, they switched over to comics based on licensed products, such as Transformers and more recently, Ninja Turtles (later issues of the Eastman & Laird version).

It looks like they're pretty much all over the place with what they make. So this could end up being anything.

But one good thing about this. If they're making a comic series, then it's pretty definitive proof that FiM isn't going anywhere any time soon.

If this was geared toward's bronies (which I think it's ment to be? ) and it stay's true to the show and has meaningful storyies then i would love to read it.

I have looked at buying it in (i live in the UK) and it's alot of money to ship each issue :/ unless i've been looking at the wrong things.

Does anyone know of a good place to buy commic's online tpo be deliverd?

this site: http://www.legionofc...BSCRIPTION.html

doesn't really list all the prices :P or i might be tempted to buy a subscription ><!

edit: I wish i understood all this commic book speek on subscritpion's for commic's >< This site actualyl selling them to be fore a reasonable price and im very tempted to buy it now :)

I just don't understand does 6 regular covers will be shipped in a 1-to-1 ratio. mean there will be 6 commic's released in the series?

thanks for all your help :D!

Edited by Happy Plant

• 4 weeks later...
(edited)

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

So more ads for the upcoming comic... seriously though, why aren't the characters in these links' url not counted in the 100 character minimum thing... just curious

Posted Image

Derpy cover exclusive has been announced. http://www.midtownco...sp?PRID=1231790

so that makes 9 variant covers

6 - Mane 6 variants

1 - Derpy variant

1- Third Eye Comics Wonderbolt variant

1- Midtown Comics Subscription variant

Posted Image

Edited by Captain Marvelous

This thread appears to be related to the My Little Pony franchise and/or the Bronydom in general. Thus, it has been sentenced to Sugarcube Corner.

This is an automatically generated message, by the way.

All I know is that the comics big release is happening here in southern California, where I live, on November 16, and i'm gonna be there. Hell yeah!

But this comic does look swell. Totally gonna buy it.

• 2 weeks later...

okay... so an update on Variant covers

post-225-0-11061300-1350086280_thumb.png

post-225-0-42255000-1350086281_thumb.png

6 - 1 for each of the mane characters. Probably a seventh where it will be a folded cover with all six images integrated on it

1 - Derpy = Midtown Comics exclusive

1 - Wonderbolts cover for Third Eye Comics

1 extra other cover that has Fluttershy and Pinkie Pie on it

1 - one site is giving a cover if you do a subscription with them, converting this image apparently

Lone Star comics exclusive

Hastings exclusive

post-225-0-11061300-1350086280_thumb.png

post-225-0-42255000-1350086281_thumb.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Posted Image

Micro-series, basically character one-shot stories drawn/written by different groups of people, have been confirmed for Friendship is Magic

This follows in line with comics like TMNT where they had stories for: Raphael, Michealangelo, Donatello, Leonardo, Splinter, Casey, April, and the Fugitoid individually

this will be in a set of six issues, each one based on one of the mane 6. First up, "Twilight Sparkle"