Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Does it have to end like this?

HomuraBL

Look, its about time I said this. I have about an hour to do this before the battery dies.

Ok, an unfortunate thing has happen to me. My computer won't charge. I checked the outlets and stuff and confirm that it's the computer. Two computers have already broken before it and so...My parents won't buy me another.

Do you see where this is going? I'm basically going to have to live with no computer for a very long time, however, I do still have internet!...From my 3ds.

Here's basically whats going to happen:

1. I won't be able to do a lot of things on this forum. I'll still be able to come here...just not talk as much.

2.I won't be able to see videos

3.The only way I can actually have internet is at my mom's and I only stay there for like 3 days.

4.I will no longer be able to write fanfictions anymore...

Through this sadness is a small hope from two sources!

1. From some miracle, the computer will be able to get fix.

Knowing my luck...this won't happen.

2.I pretty sure I have enough stuff to sell to convince my parents to pay the other part.

That dosen't mean people are going to buy the necessary amount of stuff.

I'm truly sorry. What makes it all worse is that knowing this is all my fault. To know that I've been irresponsible, to think that I'm just useless.

I'm going to try my best to get a new computer. It most likely will take me a few months but with enough dedication I can pull this off.

I'll then finally be able to talk to you guys again...Something I will miss so much.

I Promise! I will be back as soon as I can!

Don't blame yourself, I'm sure if you seen this coming you would have tried to prevent it.

Don't beat youself up over things you can no longer control. Just hope that it all works out in the end.

• 3 years later...
  • 4 years later...

2011 drama :wau:

I have lost many devices because I forgot to charge them for like 5-9 months. The way the batteries work, you must always keep them happy. Like a happy puppy... Ehm...

Anyway I hope you'll find your way back here one day. I would hate to see you leave so soon, the bronies will not be fully awaken until 2013! :mlp_nom:

(edited)

Necromancy isn't necessarily a bad thing:
Maybe this way someone else will find this topic and get some useful information from it? (e.g. that nice flow chart above)
Or maybe someone has some good advice to add, not necessarily for the original poster, but for someone else having a similar problem? :J

For example, one good idea might be to buy a Raspberry Pi, they're pretty cheap these days (roughly $20), and yet they allow for browsing the Internet, HDMI output, they might be a pretty usable desktop computer despite their small size and low price. One can even watch movies on it.

As for the computer "not charging" problems, it's usually a battery, and that can be swapped for a new one. But that depends on a model – unfortunately in the new ones, the battery is often times glued to the chassis or the manufacturer made it deliberately hard to replace to squeeze some more money from their customers :q  It's still possible to replace it, just harder and requires some more technical skill. (In case of trying to do that: make sure you won't puncture the battery and keep it away from moist, because the lithium in it might react with water and catch fire :q )

Sometimes it's not the battery that is causing the problem, but the electronics that controls the charging process. But I'm not sure how much do you know about electronics and repair, so I won't elaborate on that unless someone will be interested. Definitely not something you can do yourself without proper knowledge and tools (though you can learn it, of course). But you can always find someone else who can, and let him do that for you ;)

@Splashee You're right about the fact that batteries have to be kept charged to maintain good health, but there's more to it ;) The lithium-ion batteries have a special piece of electronics inside that cuts them off from the outside world when the voltage drops below a certain level. Manufacturers do that to make people believe that the battery died because then they can sell you a new one ;q  But the truth is, such drained batteries can be revived, and some independent repair shops know how to do it. They disconnect the charging chip from the battery and charge it from 0 volts to its nominal voltage for a while, until the battery picks up the voltage and keeps it above that magic cut-off level, then connect the charging chip back and it works again.

Edited by SasQ
Added info about the charging chip
  • Brohoof 1

@SasQ thanks for the battery information. I am limited right now, typing on my smartphone, so I couldn't do the research needed to describe the under-voltage protection circuit.

We really live in a lithium-ion world :coco:

• 3 years later...