Does anyone here genuinely like G5?

CastletonSnob

A lot of people on the internet talk about how bad G5 is. Is there anyone here who genuinely likes G5? And I don't mean just the movie. I mean G5 as a whole.

• Brohoof 3
  • Excited 1

I do and I haven't even watched half of it. Only the G5 movie and a few TYT episodes.

What's happening could possibly be the critics and/or loud minority making it seem like everyone hates it. Just a possibility though, I can only speculate based on what I've seen in other fandoms and shows.

• Brohoof 4

51 minutes ago, CastletonSnob said:

A lot of people on the internet talk about how bad G5 is. Is there anyone here who genuinely likes G5? And I don't mean just the movie. I mean G5 as a whole.

Define a lot of people. Like actually a lot of people or just the circles you frequent? It's been a hot debate on Twitter to the point EQD had to make a whole post calling out people apparently sending death threats to fans of G5. Obviously people like it to the point G4 fanboys are bothered by it

As for me, it's not for me, at least enough to watch it regularly, but I've liked what I've seen, and I still believe that the movie was the best MLP movie we've ever had

• Brohoof 3

12 minutes ago, EpicEnergy said:

I do and I haven't even watched half of it. Only the G5 movie and a few TYT episodes.

Same for me and I really enjoy both Tell Your Tale and the Gen 5 movie! 

• Brohoof 3
  • Hugs 1

(edited)

I definitely do! Waiting for the newest TYT episode to release every week (well, usually every week) gives me the same joy I had when waiting for new G4 episodes on TV. I've seen all the G5 content released so far. While I definitely preferred the longer episodes of MYM, season 2 of TYT has seriously been a step up imo compared to the first season. It's done a good job filling in the gaps with MYM gone so far.

Really though, this whole G4 vs G5 debacle reminds me of the old PS3 vs 360 console war. Completely and totally pointless. It's just instead of people arguing that their black box is better than your other black box, they're saying their pastel horses are better than your pastel horses. It's very silly. It would be so easy for the G5 haters to just ignore the content and fans and go on with their life.

Edited by Iforgotmybrain
  • Brohoof 3
  • smile 1

It’s not better than G4, but I like it regardless. I must confess I like it being a sequel to FIM, and that’s the “mane” reason I’ve stuck around :oh_golly:

• Brohoof 2
  • Excited 1

22 hours ago, Megas said:

Define a lot of people. Like actually a lot of people or just the circles you frequent? It's been a hot debate on Twitter to the point EQD had to make a whole post calling out people apparently sending death threats to fans of G5. Obviously people like it to the point G4 fanboys are bothered by it

As for me, it's not for me, at least enough to watch it regularly, but I've liked what I've seen, and I still believe that the movie was the best MLP movie we've ever had

The MLP fansites I frequent.

(edited)

I genuinely like G5.  I do not think any person should really take online opinions too seriously. Especially those people that spend all day on social media desperate seeking for attention.

I remember a popular "mlp fan site" claiming that "nobody is watching G5" and that "G4 is infinitely better", but the reality is that G5 TYT alone had around a hundred million interactions across social media last year! That is why I do not take those "fan sites" opinions seriously.

By the way, if some people call themselves an MLP fan site and spend time daily trashing anything new and deem it all "garbage", they have completely ignored the show's messages about friendship and lost all credibility. Whether you like something or not is subjective, but manners are not.

Edited by Starlight Serenade
  • Brohoof 1
  • smile 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am a proud G5 fan who is proud to see what I've been reading in this thread. If no one liked the series, a prominent G5 reviewer on YouTube wouldn't have been told off by their own audience not that long ago for their unfair negative bias when they reviewed TYT's first special. 

• Brohoof 2
  • Delighted Giggle 2
  • smile 1

6 hours ago, Misty Shadow said:

I am a proud G5 fan who is proud to see what I've been reading in this thread. If no one liked the series, a prominent G5 reviewer on YouTube wouldn't have been told off by their own audience not that long ago for their unfair negative bias when they reviewed TYT's first special. 

I hope they kept it civil, as I can picture the comments got heated :unsure:

• Sad 1

Yes I like G5, but as I usually like to make gigantic posts (that nobody reads) I'll try to talk about it without being repetitive, and specially because I think it's important to be writing this now.

First, in a simple way, I Like G5, the characters, the world and stories. I love G4, the characters, the world and stories. I don't love G5, I just like it, it still hasn't made the necessary for me to love it, I love certain things from it, like Zipp & Pipp's interactions, Opaline, the mysteries, etc, but in overall, I just like it, and if it wasn't for G4, I probably wouldn't be watching it.

Going in deep, well, I really liked the Movie and Make Your Mark, for me they were good, Tell Your Tale for me is okay, it manages to be pretty good, but also pretty bad very oftenly.

Tell Your Tale falls in the middle because of the short format, I really don't like that, I like longer episodes, when I had to watch TyT for the first time there were already around 50 episodes released, and for me it was really hard to go through all of them, my brain just couldn't process all of that, extremely fast humor and scenes, character here character there, flip flop boom, and some stories they tried to tell sounded so interesting but the short format completely hindered them or made them feel rushed as hell, don't get me wrong, I do think there are really great episodes that used this format perfectly, "Opaline Alone" being a personal favorite, that episode has a fast scenes montage but for me it was really easy to understand and enjoy it due to how simple the concept of the episode is (what Opaline does when she's alone, fin), I think trying to be simple is the key here, for me the best episodes were the ones they tried to make something simple with a very clear objetive, and these are specially the calm episodes, with no fast or rushed stuff, for me that's where Tell Your Tale truly shines, if all episodes were like this, for me it still wouldn't be better than the Movie and MyM because the longer format is superior, but it would be enough for me to consider it a good series.

Unfortunately, I consider it just okay because of the huge amount of "meh" episodes, I mean, I don't exactly dislike or hate it, but most of these episodes actually made me think "they are writing shit for kids", it's a lot of fast nonsense, I can actually remember that in one of these episodes I said to myself "yeah, I give up on trying to understand this, I'm just jumping from episode to episode", there were moments that truly surprised me due to the amount of chaos and nonsense happening all at once, it's okay to be silly for me, but being dumb is a different story, and for me this has to do with them trying to tell a lot of things in a very limited time, it just doesn't work for me, and sometimes, it just makes the episodes forgetable (or skippable). For me these are the bad side of TyT, I think they need to stop doing dumb, chaotic and rushed stuff, and focus on telling simple stories, specially calm ones, like Pony Life did, that's why for me that series worked.

Also, the 20 minutes special, while I liked it, I don't know, it's weird, I somehow still felt the 5 minutes limit watching it and I just can't explain it, for me it almost felt like that they merged multiple 5 minute episodes into a 20 minutes single story arc, Idk idk idk, I honestly was expecting more of it, I did notice a difference, specially when watched it for the first time, but I just couldn't get the same impact from it as other users did, but I think it was at least a good start for a special, it's just 4 but I think I can expect something good from the other 3.

Now, A New Generation and Tell Your Tale, for me they were the closest that G5 came to being as good as G4. I think all the problems I have with TyT don't exist here, for me MyM and the Movie are equal, equally good, no superiority above the other (except for CGI of course) so I'll treat the two as the same here.

The episode length is appropriate for the stories they try to tell, there aren't fast, chaotic or dumb stuff going on (well, there are the Sparky's moments, but I'll let it pass because that's the purpose of his character), the show is actually mature and very calm, easy to understand, that's why for me it was really easy to watch several episodes of it all at once unlike TyT, the stories, characters arcs and mysteries are fun and interesting, but I think they went too far with the "simplicity" here, in the Movie it doesn't happen because it was a introduction, but Make Your Make I found it a bit monotonous in certain parts, making me feel like "this is very limited" or that "they don't have much to show", it has its problems but for me they are more related to my overall problems with this generation and not with the show itself, and here's the finale.

For me, G5 did its homework, that's why it's good, but that's all, it couldn't go further, it couldn't surprise, be impactful like G4, for me G4 was sensational because it tried to break its own rules and do really incredible things, now G5...I do think they really tried to make something amazing in the Movie and during MyM, I don't think the characters, the stories and specially, the world were as thrilling as G4's, but for me they seemed to be excited with the story they were telling, the mysteries, etc, for me they cared. But I think that after the Opaline Arc ended, everything just went downhill, and for me this is important because I used to have hype for G5, despite its problems and not loving it like G4, I was hyped to see what was going to happen in Chapter 6 (and I was spoiled!), I really like that it is a sequel to G4, I was hopeful that the end of Opaline's arc would lead to new stories, more exploration, new characters, more about the past etc, everything was in line and that arc truly felt like a sequel to the Movie... Then they come out with the Secrets of Starlight special, and man...don't get me wrong, I liked it, but it was a letdown, then Make Your Mark is canceled and Tell Your Tale starts its Second Season as the Main and Only series of G5

Now, they keep milking on Maretime Bay, the other locations were forgotten, did nothing interesting with the Dragons and Auroricorns anymore, Allura the new villain barely shows up and hasn't been relevant so far, almost or all the mysteries surrounding the past, Twilight etc are now ignored....like...What the fuck are they doing? I can't see the same excitement from the creative team here as in the Opaline arc, I won't say that they aren't trying anymore, but I have a strong feeling that they got discouraged, where is this generation going? They do plant a few good mysteries from time to time, like Misty's Room or Skyros, but everything is just feeling extremely underdeveloped compared to what was saw in ANG and in the Opaline arc, and specially, it feels secondary, a minor production, Tell your Tale just isn't working as the main and only animated production, I try to be positive about it and I do think it improved when compared to Season 1, but for the Generation in a entirety it's just far from enough, I really don't think TyT alone can save G5, not with these 5 minutes shorts and just four 20 minutes specials also won't do it jusitce, that's why I said that hype was important, I just lost the hype for G5, yes, I really want to know more stuff about the past, the world, the images and mysterious voice in Mysty's room and all the other mysteries, but I'm not hyped for it, I'm just curious, I want to know what will happen, but I couldn't feel the feeling of hype anymore since the Opaline arc ended, waiting for Chapter 6 was truly exciting for me, but now Tell Your Tale? I oftenly forget that it will get a new episode in the next week (and now that is bi-weekly just makes it worse), like, I just can't excite myself for a 5 minutes rushed story.

For me we are in the dark era of G5, as said before, I try to be positive about it, I don't love it but I like it and that's enough because I do care about the characters and what will happen to them, I want to keep caring about it and to see the story it's trying to tell, but a fast paced cheap production with 5 minutes just isn't helping it, if I'm saying that it isn't doing any good for this generation it's because I care about it, thehy should've made what I said in a another topic, give more time for this Season's production, make all episodes be 20 minutes long, but nah.

Going back to what I said in the beginning, It's important that I'm writing this now, because if I was writing this in, like, October 2023, my opinion would be completely different, I would've said something like

"G5 isn't amazing like G4 but it's good, the movie was good and is delivering good and interesting stuff with Make Your Mark, the show feels limited but it can still deliver a lot. Tell Your Tale isn't very good, it's okay but it's just a smaller series aimed at the younger audience who can keep up with the fast paced story telling, it's not meant to be relevant but it's a fun extra. The Movie and Make Your Mark are the true flagship of this generation and it's doing a good work, it managed to be exciting."

See the big difference, for me G5, even with its problems, knew how to stay relevant and create hype, I believed it was in good condition, in good hands, but now? The main and only series is the minor cheap production aimed at children? The potential big stories are now limited to this 5 minutes format? Only four 20 minutes episodes in all of 2024 to 2025? Nothing more? No more movies, nothing????? This generation is seriously hospitalized, Hasbro needs to help it but they just doesn't seem to be interested. 

I want more of G5, but not in Tell Your Tale, not in a spin-offish series.

If this situation doesn't change, I don't give more than a Year for this generation :sunny:

• Brohoof 3
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Rafa Stary said:

Yes I like G5, but as I usually like to make gigantic posts (that nobody reads) I'll try to talk about it without being repetitive, and specially because I think it's important to be writing this now.

First, in a simple way, I Like G5, the characters, the world and stories. I love G4, the characters, the world and stories. I don't love G5, I just like it, it still hasn't made the necessary for me to love it, I love certain things from it, like Zipp & Pipp's interactions, Opaline, the mysteries, etc, but in overall, I just like it, and if it wasn't for G4, I probably wouldn't be watching it.

Going in deep, well, I really liked the Movie and Make Your Mark, for me they were good, Tell Your Tale for me is okay, it manages to be pretty good, but also pretty bad very oftenly.

Tell Your Tale falls in the middle because of the short format, I really don't like that, I like longer episodes, when I had to watch TyT for the first time there were already around 50 episodes released, and for me it was really hard to go through all of them, my brain just couldn't process all of that, extremely fast humor and scenes, character here character there, flip flop boom, and some stories they tried to tell sounded so interesting but the short format completely hindered them or made them feel rushed as hell, don't get me wrong, I do think there are really great episodes that used this format perfectly, "Opaline Alone" being a personal favorite, that episode has a fast scenes montage but for me it was really easy to understand and enjoy it due to how simple the concept of the episode is (what Opaline does when she's alone, fin), I think trying to be simple is the key here, for me the best episodes were the ones they tried to make something simple with a very clear objetive, and these are specially the calm episodes, with no fast or rushed stuff, for me that's where Tell Your Tale truly shines, if all episodes were like this, for me it still wouldn't be better than the Movie and MyM because the longer format is superior, but it would be enough for me to consider it a good series.

Unfortunately, I consider it just okay because of the huge amount of "meh" episodes, I mean, I don't exactly dislike or hate it, but most of these episodes actually made me think "they are writing shit for kids", it's a lot of fast nonsense, I can actually remember that in one of these episodes I said to myself "yeah, I give up on trying to understand this, I'm just jumping from episode to episode", there were moments that truly surprised me due to the amount of chaos and nonsense happening all at once, it's okay to be silly for me, but being dumb is a different story, and for me this has to do with them trying to tell a lot of things in a very limited time, it just doesn't work for me, and sometimes, it just makes the episodes forgetable (or skippable). For me these are the bad side of TyT, I think they need to stop doing dumb, chaotic and rushed stuff, and focus on telling simple stories, specially calm ones, like Pony Life did, that's why for me that series worked.

Also, the 20 minutes special, while I liked it, I don't know, it's weird, I somehow still felt the 5 minutes limit watching it and I just can't explain it, for me it almost felt like that they merged multiple 5 minute episodes into a 20 minutes single story arc, Idk idk idk, I honestly was expecting more of it, I did notice a difference, specially when watched it for the first time, but I just couldn't get the same impact from it as other users did, but I think it was at least a good start for a special, it's just 4 but I think I can expect something good from the other 3.

Now, A New Generation and Tell Your Tale, for me they were the closest that G5 came to being as good as G4. I think all the problems I have with TyT don't exist here, for me MyM and the Movie are equal, equally good, no superiority above the other (except for CGI of course) so I'll treat the two as the same here.

The episode length is appropriate for the stories they try to tell, there aren't fast, chaotic or dumb stuff going on (well, there are the Sparky's moments, but I'll let it pass because that's the purpose of his character), the show is actually mature and very calm, easy to understand, that's why for me it was really easy to watch several episodes of it all at once unlike TyT, the stories, characters arcs and mysteries are fun and interesting, but I think they went too far with the "simplicity" here, in the Movie it doesn't happen because it was a introduction, but Make Your Make I found it a bit monotonous in certain parts, making me feel like "this is very limited" or that "they don't have much to show", it has its problems but for me they are more related to my overall problems with this generation and not with the show itself, and here's the finale.

For me, G5 did its homework, that's why it's good, but that's all, it couldn't go further, it couldn't surprise, be impactful like G4, for me G4 was sensational because it tried to break its own rules and do really incredible things, now G5...I do think they really tried to make something amazing in the Movie and during MyM, I don't think the characters, the stories and specially, the world were as thrilling as G4's, but for me they seemed to be excited with the story they were telling, the mysteries, etc, for me they cared. But I think that after the Opaline Arc ended, everything just went downhill, and for me this is important because I used to have hype for G5, despite its problems and not loving it like G4, I was hyped to see what was going to happen in Chapter 6 (and I was spoiled!), I really like that it is a sequel to G4, I was hopeful that the end of Opaline's arc would lead to new stories, more exploration, new characters, more about the past etc, everything was in line and that arc truly felt like a sequel to the Movie... Then they come out with the Secrets of Starlight special, and man...don't get me wrong, I liked it, but it was a letdown, then Make Your Mark is canceled and Tell Your Tale starts its Second Season as the Main and Only series of G5

Now, they keep milking on Maretime Bay, the other locations were forgotten, did nothing interesting with the Dragons and Auroricorns anymore, Allura the new villain barely shows up and hasn't been relevant so far, almost or all the mysteries surrounding the past, Twilight etc are now ignored....like...What the fuck are they doing? I can't see the same excitement from the creative team here as in the Opaline arc, I won't say that they aren't trying anymore, but I have a strong feeling that they got discouraged, where is this generation going? They do plant a few good mysteries from time to time, like Misty's Room or Skyros, but everything is just feeling extremely underdeveloped compared to what was saw in ANG and in the Opaline arc, and specially, it feels secondary, a minor production, Tell your Tale just isn't working as the main and only animated production, I try to be positive about it and I do think it improved when compared to Season 1, but for the Generation in a entirety it's just far from enough, I really don't think TyT alone can save G5, not with these 5 minutes shorts and just four 20 minutes specials also won't do it jusitce, that's why I said that hype was important, I just lost the hype for G5, yes, I really want to know more stuff about the past, the world, the images and mysterious voice in Mysty's room and all the other mysteries, but I'm not hyped for it, I'm just curious, I want to know what will happen, but I couldn't feel the feeling of hype anymore since the Opaline arc ended, waiting for Chapter 6 was truly exciting for me, but now Tell Your Tale? I oftenly forget that it will get a new episode in the next week (and now that is bi-weekly just makes it worse), like, I just can't excite myself for a 5 minutes rushed story.

For me we are in the dark era of G5, as said before, I try to be positive about it, I don't love it but I like it and that's enough because I do care about the characters and what will happen to them, I want to keep caring about it and to see the story it's trying to tell, but a fast paced cheap production with 5 minutes just isn't helping it, if I'm saying that it isn't doing any good for this generation it's because I care about it, thehy should've made what I said in a another topic, give more time for this Season's production, make all episodes be 20 minutes long, but nah.

Going back to what I said in the beginning, It's important that I'm writing this now, because if I was writing this in, like, October 2023, my opinion would be completely different, I would've said something like

"G5 isn't amazing like G4 but it's good, the movie was good and is delivering good and interesting stuff with Make Your Mark, the show feels limited but it can still deliver a lot. Tell Your Tale isn't very good, it's okay but it's just a smaller series aimed at the younger audience who can keep up with the fast paced story telling, it's not meant to be relevant but it's a fun extra. The Movie and Make Your Mark are the true flagship of this generation and it's doing a good work, it managed to be exciting."

See the big difference, for me G5, even with its problems, knew how to stay relevant and create hype, I believed it was in good condition, in good hands, but now? The main and only series is the minor cheap production aimed at children? The potential big stories are now limited to this 5 minutes format? Only four 20 minutes episodes in all of 2024 to 2025? Nothing more? No more movies, nothing????? This generation is seriously hospitalized, Hasbro needs to help it but they just doesn't seem to be interested. 

I want more of G5, but not in Tell Your Tale, not in a spin-offish series.

If this situation doesn't change, I don't give more than a Year for this generation :sunny:

If they could just announce some actual big G5 content things would be exciting. But it sucks having to settle with the small show. Lack of toys further inspires leas confidence in G5’s future :sunny:

• Brohoof 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Steve Piranha said:

If they could just announce some actual big G5 content things would be exciting. But it sucks having to settle with the small show. Lack of toys further inspires leas confidence in G5’s future :sunny:

Seem like at least from what I have seen in Equestria Daily most of the new G5 toys are China exclusives

• Shocked 1

I haven’t watched so I can’t say.

I think the style of drawing looks weird. Like they stitched a human head to a ponies body(2d).

• Brohoof 1

• 3 weeks later...

I genuinely like some aspects of G5. I like the main characters designs pretty much across the board. I like parts of MYM quite a bit. I like the movie quite a bit. I like a handful of TYT episodes. I like some of the music. I like Misty's character growth a lot! I like the colorfulness. I like the cute ponies (lol). I like the locations (particularly Zephyr Heights, Maretime Bay & Bridlewood).

I can't say I like G5 without reservation as you asked, but there are many things I do like.

• Delighted Giggle 1
  • smile 1

i wanna like G5, but it has one glaring issue preventing me from fully going "yeah, i like this": the fact that it seems to be on the fence about whether or not it's a sequel to FiM.  just go all the way, you've made your bed, lie in it.

FiM's worldbuilding is what most appeals to me about it, and we haven't gotten anything of the sort in G5 aside from the Discord arc in the comics and whatever Skyros is gonna be.  in fact, sometimes G5 even contradicts G4 (biggest example is MYM stating that Misty couldn't use magic because she didn't have her cutie mark yet, despite Pumpkin Cake being able to use levitation in FiM).  and, uh...where's the Crystal Empire?  and all the other kingdoms, for that matter?  they explained that the dragons have been hibernating, but what about the other races?

honestly, it seems like they only made it a continuation of G4 so they could bring in that sweet, sweet brony money.

• Brohoof 3

18 minutes ago, zenpai said:

i wanna like G5, but it has one glaring issue preventing me from fully going "yeah, i like this": the fact that it seems to be on the fence about whether or not it's a sequel to FiM.  just go all the way, you've made your bed, lie in it.

It's exactly one of the problems I have with the Post-Opaline stuff, I'm okay with them trying to tell a more original story, the problem is that the switch was just not natural, they just made everything G4 related be ignored and forgotten, even the characters forgot about the past and how interesed they were about it, specially Zipp, feels almost like a retcon.

23 minutes ago, zenpai said:

FiM's worldbuilding is what most appeals to me about it, and we haven't gotten anything of the sort in G5 aside from the Discord arc in the comics and whatever Skyros is gonna be.  in fact, sometimes G5 even contradicts G4 (biggest example is MYM stating that Misty couldn't use magic because she didn't have her cutie mark yet, despite Pumpkin Cake being able to use levitation in FiM).  and, uh...where's the Crystal Empire?  and all the other kingdoms, for that matter?  they explained that the dragons have been hibernating, but what about the other races?

honestly, it seems like they only made it a continuation of G4 so they could bring in that sweet, sweet brony money.

It's the contract with Discovery Family, DF still owns partial content of G4, like characters, locations, etc, Hasbro can't use them of they want to use them, they'll need to pay DF, so animated G5 is limited on what it can use from G4, but the comics not, the contract is just restricted to the animated content only, that's why the comics could show a lot more stuff from G4 like Discord and the old locations. Supposedly

• Brohoof 2

even the characters forgot about the past and how interesed they were about it, specially Zipp, feels almost like a retcon.

yes thank you for remembering how interested Zipp was in FiM Equestria!!  i noticed that change immediately, it always bothered me that they just changed her into a detective.

It's the contract with Discovery Family, DF still owns partial content of G4, like characters, locations, etc, Hasbro can't use them of they want to use them, they'll need to pay DF, so animated G5 is limited on what it can use from G4, but the comics not, the contract is just restricted to the animated content only, that's why the comics could show a lot more stuff from G4 like Discord and the old locations. Supposedly

that makes sense, but begs the question of why even bother being a G4 continuation when they don't even have the right to parts of G4...aside from, again, brony money.  even though bronies were interested in G5 even before it was revealed to be a continuation...

• Brohoof 2

On 2024-05-22 at 1:21 AM, Zennec Fox said:

Starlight Ridge could very well be a stand in for the Crystal Empire