Why Do Non-Bronies Think MLP Is A Show For Only Little Girls

Death Clock Pony

(edited)

Because it is technically aimed at little girls. Therefore, for a number of people, the show is entirely defined by its target audience.

Edited by Thereisnospoon303

(edited)

Well, all you have to do is look at the title.

My Little Pony, Friendship is Magic.

Accompanied by a picture of cutesy little cartoon ponies, I don't think there's any doubt in a first-timer's mind on what the target demographic for this show is.

Edited by Aureitas d'Aequitate
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

Well, the My Little Pony franchise was pretty much aimed exclusively at girls for years, with the dolls etc (it still is really). I guess they assume that this is as bad based on what they have seen before.

Like Lauren Faust said herself, she developed it with family viewing in mind :3.

Edited by FL_
  • Brohoof 1

Because it was written for little girls. Because it has a reputation for being girly (older generations, of course). Because 99% of the characters in the show ARE girls.

There, several reasons why other people think it's for little girls.

Even disregarding the precedent previous MLP generations set, the current incarnation remains intended for little girls. Because it's a quality show, its appeal reaches to a wider audience, but that doesn't change the fact that little girls are its primary audience. Think of something like Sesame Street that has the intention of educating children, but has qualities, references, and variety in characters that help make it something the parents can watch and enjoy as well, in contrast to a generically saccharine show like Barney & Friends.

• Brohoof 1

Because of the previous generations reputation, some people still can't grasp how revolutionary FiM is, what with how it truly appeals to an extremely wide audience nowadays. ;)

(edited)

(after writing edit: Just got a surge of thoughts, if you don't want to read even this, you can skip to the last paragraph)

My quick on the spot observation of the situation

I think the problem here is the keyword "only"

While it's actually just the primary target group.

But because girls are the main group, it makes sense the marketing is also focused around them first and foremost and not the secondary groups. So most people see it marketed as a Girls show. Which is true, but usually they'll think it's the only group

For kid shows I don't find it too uncommon to have content entertained those who accompany the main audience. Like parents who watch tv with their kids.

Also, marketing (thinking more about the toys commercials in this case) is probably not solely aimed at girls, since little girls hardly have any money them self, but rather the whole social environment around them. Family, relatives, parents etc. Whoever would be spending money for those girls.

It's important for them to get to know at least those toys are for little girls. Those toys which are the reason My Little Pony exists at all.

*Girl sees commercial for MLP toys* *wants parents to buy seen toys* *parents see commercial* *Parents spends money*

or

*Family sees commercial* *Family buys MLP toys for birthday or other gifting day or being nice day*

To sum it up a bit, because the first thing they'll probably see is how MLP is targeted/marketed towards little girls, so it's easy for them to portrait it as only for little girls, since the franchise is focused around selling things for little girls, even though the show is not only interesting for little girls using the term little girl bit loose her but ok

Edited by AIMonkey

Just gonna leave this here for everyone saying it's exclusively for little girls.

"I didn't create this show for little girls, I created it for little girls and their parents--including male parents. It only stands to reason that adult animation fans without children may like it, too. The belief that boys shouldn't be interested in girl things is the main reason there's hardly anything decent for girls in animation--- or almost any media, for that matter. It's a backwards, sexist, outdated attitude."~Lauren Faust, on 'Friendship is Magic's appeal to viewers'

Because before FIM, MLP was one of the most mind-numbing, babyish, little girl toys in existence. People still have that mindset, and when they see 'My Little Pony' in the title, INSTANTLY they judge and ostracize.

• Brohoof 6

3 words: because it is.

It IS a little girls show, we ARE outside of the demographic, and WE have to face the facts of it. MLP is not some god-sent message, it's a show for little girls.

• Brohoof 2

Because the show is aimed towards little girls, but that doesn't mean only little girls can like it.

And it pisses me off when people (my mom included) don't understand that.

• Brohoof 3

The show was originally aimed for little girls. But since men took the liking to the show, well it now isn't. For me, the theme song is the only girly part of the show. The rest of it is the manly, tough part that I'm into. ^_^

becuase IT IS FOR LITTLE GIRLS.

noting you say or do can chage the fact the show is for little girls. bronys may watch it but there a side audience. the show is made for little girls and bronys watch it.

• Brohoof 1