How do last names work in the MLP: FIM universe?

Samurshy

Okay so something I noticed that really bothered me. Even though some ponies have siblings, they don't have the same last name, yet their parents share the same last name as them. Let me clarify, some ponies do share the same last name as their parents, Mr. and Mrs Cake share the same last name as Pound Cake and Pumpkin Cake. Pinkie Pie shares the same last name has her parents. Now we don't know for sure if twilight sparkle shares the same name as her parents but lets just say that she does, how would that work for shining armor? And how about Rarity and Sweety Belle, as far as I can tell Rarity doesn't even have a last name. Don't even get me started on Applejack's family, that is just all messed up with last names. So I am really really confused, how on earth does the last name thing work?

• Brohoof 1

msg-3011-0-03480800-1395196135.png

[CLICK THE SIG FOR OC] (Signature created by Azura)

Shinobu is best girl. 

(edited)

It Doesn't. Ponies don't have last names, they can name thier kids any two names they want. some pony parents just choose to use their own names. The Apples, for example, traditionally use 'Apple' in their names, but they don't have to. there I fixed it.

Edited by Page Turner
  • Brohoof 6

Do you want an awesome thread to visit? Visit this thread! http://mlpforums.com/topic/39132-ask-any-pony-on-a-date/

9a8655dd0eeb54e689759e8f2f1a1c5b-d5gwf1c

My Little Pony is a sparkly, happy diamond among things that are not diamonds. -Apple Cider

FimFiction|DeviantArt|Steam|Google+

It Doesn't Ponies don't have last names, they can name thier kids any two names they want. there I fixed it.

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=uafm69NrNnY

Yes, and When they get married i guess the last part of their name changes? Such as Mr. and Mrs. Cake, Mr. Cake had Cake as his last name while Mrs. Cake had something else, they got married and Mrs. Cake now goes by having Cake as her last name.

Derpy is best Pony and Commador Is best Cyborg Pony

2rftqi8.jpg

Yes, and When they get married i guess the last part of their name changes? Such as Mr. and Mrs. Cake, Mr. Cake had Cake as his last name while Mrs. Cake had something else, they got married and Mrs. Cake now goes by having Cake as her last name.

I think maybe that's optional too, 'Cadance Armor' doesn't sound right, although i could go for 'Shining Cadance'
  • Brohoof 2

Do you want an awesome thread to visit? Visit this thread! http://mlpforums.com/topic/39132-ask-any-pony-on-a-date/

My Little Pony is a sparkly, happy diamond among things that are not diamonds. -Apple Cider

To me it seems like it is somthing left up ot the individual family. The Cake's seemt to have a tradition for last names, and Pinkie Pie's family possibly have that too, while Rarity's family for example doesn't .

• Brohoof 1

I like to do requests. Please, if there is something you want to see me, an amateur, draw for you, just send me a PM with the details and I'll say yay or nay. Most likely yay.

I think maybe that's optional too, 'Cadance Armor' doesn't sound right, although i could go for 'Shining Cadance'

Well, cadance is her last name if you remember correctly, her first name is Mi'amore last name Cadanza.

Shinobu is best girl. 

oh yeah, so... Mi'amore Armor... Shining Cadenza... aw whatever, I don't care. Characters characters.

• Brohoof 1

oh yeah, so... Mi'amore Armor... Shining Cadenza... aw whatever, I don't care. Characters characters.

Either way, each variation sounds pretty effing horrible. I think it would be a choice sort of like how it is in the real world. You can choose if you are a female, to keep your last name if you want. So it would not be that much of a stretch to think that it could happen in the FIM universe.

Shinobu is best girl. 

My idea was that the concept of surnames doesn't really exist in Equestria, although I would gamble that Earth ponies are starting to develop the concept, since they tend to be more prone to theme naming than the other species.

My headcanon, though, is that there's some bureau in-universe that ensures that every pony has a unique name by having the names registered with them at birth and treated like a copyright, which will expire after a certain period after a pony's death.

• Brohoof 5

Hablo español--Je parle français--日本語を話す--我说中文--...and sarcasm (yeah right!)

I compose music.  Six Pony Rags

Last names don't work! Pinkie Pie used her special brand of What The Buck brand of pinkie powers and destroyed the system, only allowing a select few to have a "last name". The only question is....how come she is the only pony with a middle name. O_o

• Brohoof 2

The mind of the host will desperately try to create memories where none exist. Simple right?

My idea was that the concept of surnames doesn't really exist in Equestria, although I would gamble that Earth ponies are starting to develop the concept, since they tend to be more prone to theme naming than the other species.

My headcanon, though, is that there's some bureau in-universe that ensures that every pony has a unique name by having the names registered with them at birth and treated like a copyright, which will expire after a certain period after a pony's death.

That....sounds pretty legit actually! I like that idea a lot << it makes sense since there are many names and many variations unto them, plus Canterlot being the important place it is WOULD withhold a registry of everypony who exists in the kingdom. Plus they would probably have a census too.

I'm going to assume that at birth, a pony is registered into the town's register rather like how people do with churches.

fgsolid.png

Well I actually consider the second names (Dash, Sparkle etc.) to be middle names, Pinkie's however is Pie, and it's a family name, but she didn't come from a big town, from the looks of it, so that could pretty much explain it to me.....

lel.png

:3

Well I actually consider the second names (Dash, Sparkle etc.) to be middle names, Pinkie's however is Pie, and it's a family name, but she didn't come from a big town, from the looks of it, so that could pretty much explain it to me.....

Pinky's middle name is Diane.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Shinobu is best girl. 

Pinky's middle name is Diane.

I know her Middle name is Diane, and her full name is Pinkamena Diane Pie

I meant to say "However Pinkie's last name is Pie" my phone was just trolling me by skipping words, as usual

• Brohoof 2

lel.png

:3

If it works like normal names for humans then there are a LOT of ponies in the Chaser family. I am one of many I've seen around the site.

I think it's all based on personal preference and what sounds good. Besides, everything we've heard could be just first and middle names. The only last name we know for sure is Pinkie's.

"The dead don't talk. I don't know why." - Odd Thomas

"You want to take the easy way out because if you try and fail there's only you to blame.  But you know what?  Life is scary.  Get used to it.  There are no magical fixes.  It's all up to you.  So get up, get out there, and go start doing the work."
"Nothing worth having in this life comes easy." - Shadow Chaser
Night Apples - A Luna x Mac romance fic. It's cute. Trust me.
OIF 07-09 Veteran

• 1 month later...

The only way i can reason the Apple/orange family is as follows..and its not quite perfect--just a hypothesis.

Granny Smith, assumed last name Apple. (She was a Smith, but where i'm from in the South its customary for a woman to drop her middle name when she gets married. her maiden name then becomes her middle name.)

if Big Mac, Applejack and Applebloom all have Apple as a last name (applebloom apple sounds funny to me.. but they DO love their apples...), then we might assume that their father was Granny Smiths' son.

that would then mean that their mother was an Orange. Applejack certainly /looks/ like an Orange relation so its plausible to me.

still doesnt explain WHERE their parents are or what happened to them though.

mast2_zps466fb1b7.png
GO

CONTRIBUTE!

my art: here, and tumblr

I'm pretty sure its just kinda any name they want to be using. I don't think they really have last names. I think the cakes simply wanted to name their children after themselves

However that brings up as to why their called mrs and mr. cake..

I dunno I don't think its really something that's meant to make sense.

The poundcake and pumpkin cake thing is probably just meant to be a little joke.

Ru8aWjK.png

Thanks to Gone Airbourne for the awesome sig!

My Oc's,

Ponysona, Bella

two words... They Don't... If two or more ponies have the same name (Apples, Cakes) it's because it's the tradition. The apples are a family, built on the tradition of naming their children apple names...

Soundcloud-------------------Facebook---------------------------Youtube